Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Nognix

Nognix is on a distinguished road
LFM

Hey,

Here's another desperate call for help from a noobie MUD-player. Anyway, here's my story: I found out about MUD's a year ago or so. I checked this site and was quite intrigued by the concept, so I made an account on this Aardwolf-MUD because it seemed to be the most popular MUD out there. What I found was a fascinating world, but I found it ever so confusing. I played it for a week or 3 and then I bailed out, I totally forgot about MUD's, until a week ago or so. I remembered this site and came here again, checked the features of some MUD's but I didn't really find what I was looking for. Therefore, I created this thread. I understand that probably no MUD will meet all my requirements or that I might not get any interesting responses at all but I'm willing to try it anyway. I would like a MUD with:

-An interesting background world. "Interesting" is for me, a fantasy world. I don't really care if it's medieval fantasy or fairytale fantasy. I don't mind the basic human/elf/dwarf vs. orc/goblin/troll etc.
-A kind of active and helpful playerbase. This is probably the hardest part but I don't need a 100 players in every room. One of the reasons I didn't like the Aardwolf-MUD is that it was too confusing, because of my ignorance in how a MUD works but also because everyone was talking trough eachother and everything you said or asked kinda got lost in the chatroom.
-Possibility to rp. I'm not new to rping but I am new to rping in a MUD. It would be great to see some examples of a few players. I know this will also be hard because I'm from Europe and the hours usually don't really match.
-Basic, easy-to-understand MUD systems. With systems, I mean the crafting, magic, fighting etc. With systems, I also mean the amount of races and classes. If I recall correctly, you had like 20 of each in the Aardwolf-MUD which is usually a good thing but as a basic player, I kinda lost order.

What I'm looking for is actually a basic MUD which still has a kinda active and helpful playerbase for new players. I would like to rp a bit and I don't really mind PK, although I'd rather have it restricted. A basic but still interesting lore would also be great.

I hope my request is a bit clear and I hope to find a MUD that meets some of my requests.

Thanks in advance,

Nognix
Nognix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: LFM

Nognix,

I'd like to recommend Alter Aeon. We have a very active playerbase, but the new player areas are separated by level to keep down confusion and make exploring safer at low levels. PK is restricted, and you can RP if you want. In general, we've tried to make the learning curve small without sacrificing game depth.

We also have a custom client with a mapper that really helps when exploring.

-dentin
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

Welcome (again) to muds.

If you're willing to upgrade that "possibilty to rp" from your list to "requirement to rp," you might get into New Worlds (). It's not nearly as crowded or feature-heavy as Aardwolf, but still has anywhere from several dozen to close to 100 characters logged in, depending on the time of day, and the players are outlandishly helpful if you have questions. Be advised, though, that the mud requires roleplaying, so there's no breaking character, except when using one of the designated out of character channels. And the mud has a lot of rules on information to help foster the roleplaying environment, so players aren't allowed to help you find areas or equipment, solve quests, or divulge what classes get what powers. You're on your own figuring most of that out in game. But the overall system is pretty simple, and the players are really helpful, so it's a good mud to try out and see if you take to it.

is still getting some good buzz. It's a roleplay-required mud as well, though from personal experience, I've found it a little bit looser and less strict regarding the rp. If I remember correctly, it doesn't have channels where you can readily get player help, but players you come across are usually pretty cool about helping if you're having trouble with something. It's primarily a skill-based mud, so a lot of what you do will involve using the skills you want to improve over and over again, but besides figuring out what each of your skills does, it's a pretty simple system once you've gotten used to it.

Really, you could just start at the top of the TMS list and work your way down until you find a mud you like. Nearly every mud on the first page is well populated and at least accepts roleplaying, if not requires it, and it's going to be a crapshoot regarding what system you really take to and find easy to use and understand.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure how recently you've played it but Aedin does have a help feature now. It works something like this, help <ask question>, your question gets sent to the other players and they then have an opportunity to respond to your question, answerhelp <response>. Typically, questions are responded to within seconds of getting asked. There is also an unofficial, player ran YUKU out of character message board set up with a chatroom, where you can almost always find 5-10 players lounging around.

Last edited by IZDemon : 07-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Nognix

Nognix is on a distinguished road

Great. Thanks for the quick reply, I'll be sure to check them out. Then I hope to be a part of the MUD community soon.
Nognix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

I obviously don't know your schedule but if you are from Europe, as your information suggests; it might be challenging to find a MUD you like, that has an active playerbase during the times you are available to login. Primetime for playing is usually later in the evening based on Eastern Standard Time. I suspect you are probably 6 hours ahead. Good luck in your search and keep us updated on what you find.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Manitas

Manitas is on a distinguished road

seems to meet your criteria.

In addition, it's a really unique mud made entirely as a web app, with an overhead map and mouse click interface out of the box.
Very suitable for newbies, while keeping text based gameplay the interface saves you from doing the "put my short, brown lazy dog into my father's in law third boarhide backpack" sort of thing.
Manitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Nognix, from what you discussed I think would fit you very well. Threshold has been around for over 15 years, and is (I believe) the oldest RP required game online.

Threshold has a copyrighted game world/IP that has now been used in two other games from our company. But Threshold is where it started. There is over 15 real life years of history on top of all the lore created by staff.

The company motto of Frogdice (the company that made Threshold ) is "Players ARE content." Our players reflect this motto as well.

We have an organization in game called the STEA that is specifically designed to help new players and to run events for all players.

Threshold is RP required, and is one of the best roleplay experiences on the internet.

Threshold's help files and documentation are legendary for being thorough yet concise.

Give it a shot!

telnet: thresholdrpg.com:23
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

If you want immersion, depth and to lose yourself, Threshold is the answer. It manages to suck you into an amazing world without every losing the fact that it is a game and is designed for fun.

Almost every location in Threhold has every sensory description covered, just walk around and smell, touch, feel, listen and you will see what I mean.

Incredibly helpful playerbase with a dedicated help channel, lots of tasks to keep you busy when you just want a grind, lots of areas to visit, stunning back stories and history.. all player led, libraries, player housing, clothing creation (create the exact look you want your character to potray). Deep religion system, lots of races and classes, guilds, clans, fishing, in-game games, food gathering for self sufficiency.. and.. well you get it.. its a polished gem.

Threshold has a stunning admin team who has developed and matured over the years into an incredibly customer focused team, and there is no favouritism nor power trips that you may have heard of in other muds .

It is a deep, In-character-enforced mud that never loses track of the fact that it is a game that is fun to play.

My only (minor) critisism of the game is dying in the game can still ruin your day (especially when its due to a disconnect), but this is more about my competative attitude than the games failing and should be taken lightly, but I would be remiss not to include it to offset the compliments. Death has lots of amusing consequences which allow you to have some fun with the after effects

Dont worry to much about RP initially, just dont go OUT OF CHARACTER (i,e talking about real life in the game world). You can bounce off the other players and soon develop your character in depth and learn the intricacies of RP and be dragged into all manner of great stories. Think of the character you want to play and just develop the bare basics of a back story and a couple of quirks and let the rest grow organically.

You start off in a heritage class, and dont need to activlty chose a proper class until you have played for a bit so you get chance to see other players and ask them "In Game" the benifits of their class. The only thing you need to be careful of is making sure the race suits you as some of the racial talents are very useful.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote