Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Saire

Saire is on a distinguished road
Help me out, please :)

Hello! I'm new to the forums, not so new to the MUD scene. I'm out of a MUD to play as mine went down as so many seem to do these days, at least the not so well known ones. Since then I've had a really difficult time finding something that will suit me. I am pretty picky I guess!! But perhaps you can help me out? I'll give you a few things that I've really enjoyed in MUDs so far.

Fun world to explore: I enjoy exploring, if its for a reason. If there's no reason to explore then usually I don't. If there's more of a motive behind it then its a lot more fun!! Like for instance.. finding things in secret "hidey" holes or behind rocks is really fun to me! One example of this was 4 Dimensions, I really did enjoy that aspect of the game, but as I am not big on quests at all and more into roleplay... well you could see where I wouldn't quite fit in there.

Roleplay: I am VERY picky here... I would have to say this is one of my most picky topics. I like a world where I am not FORCED to roleplay but one that is condusive for it all by itself. A world where I will want to roleplay because the atmosphere is good. Not one that I have to roleplay because they say I have to. I like an atmosphere that immerses you into it nicely and doesn't feel like a prison... like say... the IRE games always felt that way to me with their houses or guilds. Anyway, hopefully that's a good enough explanation.

PK: I, personally am not a PKer, but it does not bother me if the world has it or if it doesn't. So long as I am not forced to be a part of it. Optional PK would be fine.

Combat: Lets see.. I don't have a set preference really to combat, I don't like a hack-n-slash environment. It would be nice if there were more to combat than "Kill thing" and then watch it go by. Like maybe.. other.. options to use or something in battle.

Skills: I prefer to have a set skillset already when I join, like in a guild. Or ones that I will gain as I get levels rather than having to choose which ones I want, because typically I don't know what I want and I'd rather just be given some. Its easier to learn the game that way without having to worry about the 100's of skills you can choose from.

Crafting/something else to do than combat: I enjoy other activities in a MUD than just combat. I don't like to restring but I like to gather and stuff like that.. create potions out of raw materials etc. The first MUD I used to play had a set up herb system where you'd pick the herbs every 4 or so hours and you could plant your own in the right climate. It was repeative but I enjoyed it. Something like this might be fun

So... I'm sure there aren't many MUDs out there that have ALL of these. But if your MUD has at least the RP requirement I would be willing to try it probably.
Saire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Saire

Re: Help me out, please :)

Well.... no one responded. But.. I guess that's okay. I am trying the MUD Throes of Creation ATM and so far it seems pretty neat. It has a lot of crafting options with the class Artisan, which is what I chose. And the combat is sort of interesting, its time based, not completely automated. I don't know much else about it yet except that it has a small playerbase... I think I'm going to try it out for awhile. If I need help in the future I'll pop back up here probably. Take care. And give Throes of Creation a try maybe! Seems like a quality MUD to me!

throes.slayn.net
port 1200
Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

Have a go at Gemstone or Dragonrealms as they are doing free 30 day trials.. has everything you listed in requirements. The combat is a dream (DR very in depth).

Of course, they are pay to play, but the engine / gameplay reflects the regular injections of cash. Lots of RP goes on, but it is very relaxed. I loved my time there, but coulnt justify the outlay of pennie to hours I play games these days. Still 30 days will give you a great sample.

MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

Oh...

Hello, welcome to the forums :-)

Not the busiest forum in the world, so if you want to guarantee replies, just throw in something inflamatory along with your normal question such as...

"What makes an RP enforced MUD".. or "why are their no up to date reviews of muds anywhere"

:-D
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

Thanks for playing Throes of Creation, and for liking the Artisan class!

More posts like these and the player base might not remain small...

Drat! More players!
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
Saire

Yeah...

I'm seriously going insane here. I would try those two but well why get hooked on something I won't be able to continue after the 30 days?

And I really do like Throes of Creation, very good MUD, just needs more players!!!! I'll probably pop in there from time to time still.

So I guess I must have gotten really spoiled with my first MUD because I've never been able to find anything that comes close to it.

So there's no MUDs that anyone else wants to suggest?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Help me out, please :)

I don't think you're going to find something that's perfect, no, and I think you may be scaring off a good number of rp games with your rp requirement. Places that are fun to rp often get that way by being rp-required, because that setting brings in strong rp'ers. My game (OtherSpace) isn't perfect for you, but if you're having this much trouble, I'll throw it out in hopes that it satisfies enough of your points for your liking.

Fun world to explore: We'll have a very large space system as of this summer, which will have a lot of open terrain with hidden and secret things. Explorers will be able to discover creatures/planets/solar systems that no one's ever seen before, and even make a profit if they can find resource-laden dead ships or asteroids and note the coordinates to sell to a miner/salvager. I personally build my planets with secret hidey holes within them, so there is a decent amount of that.

Roleplay: This is tough. I’d like to think that our areas promote rp, but how can I be sure it will inspire you? But our players absolutely inspire rp, as they're constantly inventing plots. But at the end of the day, we ARE rp-required. We have OOC areas if you want to be OOC, and during scenes we break out into OOC conversation occasionally, but we don’t allow people to just ignore rp.

PK: We allow PK, but the environment is such that if you aren’t in a fighting-style or outside-the-law career, there’s an extremely small chance of death or injury.

Combat: We use dice-rolling and referees for combat, allowing you to do just about anything you can think of (and is physically possible) for your character to do in combat.

Skills: We don’t fit in this regard. We have about a hundred skills, and allow people to raise them in whatever configuration they want, in order to make truly individual characters. But we have a very friendly newbie helper staff who can tell you what to add if you want that choice taken away from you.

Crafting: We allow crafting of clothing, armor, weapons, gadgets, and a wide variety of other things. Soon, we’ll allow people to have manufacturing and resource-gathering facilities for crafting raw materials into shipbound cargo. It’s great for grinding during off hours. You could combine this with the exploration aspect if you wanted to find resources, bring them home, then craft them into something to sell.

Again, I know we’re not perfect for your needs, but I really have never seen a game that matches it perfectly in my 16-odd years of mudding. If you’re willing to give us a try, go to and poke around at the OtherSpace link, especially Encyclopedia Intergalactica and the Newbie guide. I hope to see you around.
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Sorry not many responded, but your requirements are odd in that many can't fit exactly what you want. I would say try Otherspace (), like the last poster suggested, but I will give you the pros and cons of what New Worlds Ateraan can offer based on your criteria. The best thing we offer is a large playerbase of very skilled and helpful players and staff.

Fun world to explore: You mentioned 4 Dimensions. Great game, one I always promote because of its different style, great staff, and excellent mind teasers.

NWA has a grand world that is specifically designed based on the book you can find on the webpage. There are two starting points for two styles of roleplay, I suggest you start in the Kingdom. Read the website for more details.

Roleplay: This is where we fail for you. NWA is roleplay enforced, but we have found many who do not roleplay have learned in the game that this is so exciting and immersive you can't live with anything else after you've played for awhile. We also have a very talented and helpful staff with a very smooth creation system and help files and channels that will make you love it.

PK: Because PK is centered around roleplay, it is highly unlikely you will be involved in it. It is optional in the sense that if you rp properly you won't ever be involved.

Combat: Many options here. There is personal combat, spells and powers, ranged weapons, including even catapults. Ships with ranged weapons for whaling or fighting pirates.

Skills: Starting out you have set skills based on your background in creation and your race. Later you get specific skills for your guild. This is an area you will enjoy.

Crafting/something else to do than combat: Crafting R Us. We have 2 guilds specific to this and you can also fish, crab, trap, dig for clams, farm, grow flowers, and several other things that have nothing to do with combat. We also have multiple roleplay rewards, and jobs so you can advance without combat if you want.

So, we are different in what you seek, but give us a few weeks and you will become a fan or we promise you will get a full refund on our lifetime money back guarantee.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote