Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Legal Issues
Click here to Register

Old 01-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
kurik

kurik is on a distinguished road
need opinions on this situation....MM

Hello again everyone,
I have a situation that i need opinions on.

So i started playing MM again and made a character and got him to a high level. I got bored and googled stuff about the MUD and found that there was a log posted of someone logging in their character, containing their password as well. What i did was simply log on and take their gear. At first nobody knew about it until i logged on the character again where someone actually noticed and i took the rest of the eq a week between times i did so. The administration decided to give that guys' character (who obviously has not played his character in a long time) his gear back and ended up deleting my character.

Do you all think that it's that retard players' fault for posting a log containing his password, knowing that someone would notice and do the same thing i had done? I do not think that my character deserved to be deleted due to someone elses' stupidity. Because of the way the staff handles situations like this is the reason the game is going downhill.

Any opinions are appreciated.
kurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Shaitan

Shaitan is on a distinguished road
Re: need opinions on this situation....MM

Sorry dude, you're dead wrong here. Other people's mistakes, no matter how stupid, are not an excuse for you to take advantage of them. Just because someone makes it easy for you to be an asshole doesn't make you less of an asshole.
Shaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Juason

Home MUD: Dragonrealms
Juason is on a distinguished road

I agree. You did a terrible thing, and now must pay the price. The administrators did what was necessary to remove a harmful element from their game environment.
Juason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

So what you're saying is that if a store clerk accidentally left the keys in the door when he locked up the store for the night, it's okay for someone else to use the keys to open the door and help himself to everything he wants inside.

You're definitely in the wrong here. What game is MM so that I can try it out?
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Kurik,

all I have to say on this is "Its the fault of the person you see in the mirror, and nobody elses."

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #6
flbellman

flbellman is on a distinguished road

Yes. You cannot do that especially if this behavior is clearly forbidden in the terms and condition for the MUD you are playing.
flbellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
PhasmaInMachina

PhasmaInMachina is on a distinguished road

I hope this is a troll because I am not sure which is worse.. That you acted opportunistically and in a way which negatively impacted another player in the game community, or that you came here to try and justify your actions.

The way this posts reads it sounds like you are a borderline sociopath, and I agree with the actions the MM admin. We would have handled the situation in the same manner.

A large part of what keeps MUDs alive and in existence is their community and your actions go against that spirit in a big way.

Last edited by PhasmaInMachina : 01-11-2014 at 06:24 AM.
PhasmaInMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
one

one is on a distinguished road

I agree. However, according to your story, your character was not deleted due to someone else's stupidity. If you haven't done what you did (or even was smart enough to not get caught) your character wouldn't be deleted. How is that fault of a player in question?
one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

You deserved it, and it's entirely your fault.

Further, if you really think what you did was ok, I'd just as soon not have you play on Alter Aeon either.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road

While this is not the clearest sentence, it implies that you knew you were doing something that violates the rules of the game, and tried to do it secretly.

As for whether the admins overreacted in deleting your character, your first stop for determining that would be the game policy. If it's not stated clearly what kind of punishment violators might expect, you can petition the admins to clarify that--it would be a legitimate complaint. What would also be legitimate is if you can point to a case in the past where a similar violation was sanctioned less harshly.

If you can't do either of the above, there's really not much more to be said.

If you honestly feel that you did nothing wrong and that the admins were overly strict in applying the rules, your best bet is to look around for a game with more lax rules, or with uncaring admins. But it's going to be a case of "careful what you wish for", especially if some in-game rival hacks your account, steals your gear, and rofls at your "stupidity."
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:00 AM   #11
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

While precedent does matter, I'd say that even if this particular action wasn't explicitly prohibited in the rules, deleting the offender's character and banning him or her is not out of line at all. The offender exploited a security vulnerability and it was an issue in which the offender should have known better.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Darren Brimhall

I believe MM stands for Materia Magica, a game which the threads' starter once ripped into

Darren Brimhall
Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Definately a Troll. Definately Materia Magica. And definately a HORRIBLE FONT!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

It's spelled definitely. Pet peeve, sorry.

On topic: Favorite line on the MM's forum post logging the staff actions against this guy: "You ruined my childhood."

I guess he's hoping MM will ruin his adulthood too.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #15
Darren Brimhall

?????

Darren Brimhall
Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #16
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Quality troll.

It generated a lot of responses and makes the MUD you are promoting look good for handling the situation correctly.

Well played, kurik.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
De__eB

De__eB is on a distinguished road

I play Materia Magica avidly. Lets clear a few things up.

The username 'Kurik' is not this players actual username. It's the name of another longstanding player's account, in an attempt to gain credibility.

The player in question has already had all of his characters deleted one time in the past for HUNDREDS of rules violations over the course of years including:

-Repeatedly botting
-Repeatedly abusing bugs
-Repeatedly harassing a large number of players
-Being racist and homophobic while doing so
-Making threats towards a prior administrator of the game
-Spamming char creations with obscenely named characters
-Harassing new players in the novice area

After the last time he was deleted he created another thread on these forums with the same username. Ranting about the game claiming to have been deleted unfairly.

Anyway, he was graciously allowed back during some recent administrative changes for a second chance, and was warned explicitly when allowed to return that he was on probation, and that any rule breaking would be handled severely.

Then he goes and pulls this stunt, and gets deleted.

This is absolutely 100% his responsibility, and his responsibility alone, and nobody from Materia Magica wants any of the attention that this guy would send our way.
De__eB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #18
Hades_Kane

Home MUD: End of Time
Hades_Kane is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Hades_Kane

I promise you everyone who read this thread didn't need anything cleared up. It was clear this guy is -that type- of player and no one is looking at the game in a negative way as a result of this. If anything, this guy is just illustrating the type of nonsense that the game will not put up with.
Hades_Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #19
PhasmaInMachina

PhasmaInMachina is on a distinguished road

I think most MUDs have at least one player like that. I can think of several off the top of my head in our own MUD which act in negative ways at any given time. One of the most recent ones has drifted from MUD to MUD before winding up on our doorstep.

Like I said in my earlier post, this poster demonstrates a tangible lack of empathy in his/her posting style to a degree which is characteristic of a sociopath's behavior. Not good at all. In fact if the information here is legitimate then I genuinely have sympathy for the MM staff.
PhasmaInMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #20
kurik

kurik is on a distinguished road

touche one, touche.
kurik is offline   Reply With Quote