Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 04-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

How have you incorporated pets or NPC sidekicks/minions into your RP? Does your character walk around with a poodle in their purse? Do you have a thug named Vinnie shadow you at all times, glowering at people?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
Minions yes. I like minions and thugs. Pets no. Pets are cheesy.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Brody
Legend

Smile

What's the problem with pets? Kinda depends on the pet, I'd think. Some pets could be great. In a game based on George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books, for example, it'd be great if nobles in Winterfell could keep big wolves as pets.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
val

val is on a distinguished road
val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
Because animals are not accessories. I guess it feels like a kid's book or movie, the idea of the animal that just follows along and never gets in the way and is always helpful and smart. I have cats. I love them dearly, but they're not that clever and they're often a pain in the neck. If I tried to take them with me everywhere they'd get run over by cars or get lost.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't say pets are cheesy, just overdone.  Me, I've always wanted a couple skeletal butlers to follow me around.  That'd be pretty cool.  They'd have mustaches and everything, and speak real proper.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
In Achaea, I have a rooster named Garcia that I like to hang out with. We have our differences (he is strongly Catholic, and I am my own God), but all our differences go away when it's time for the cockfights. It is our passion.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:48 AM   #8
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of pets, but when everyone else has the same one and theirs is named after their favorite band, roleplaying with mine seems a little redundant. I do like the idea, though.

It'd be neat for coders to work in a program so that you could give your pet unique phrases to respond to as commands, too. Some sorta Pet Editor.

If the mud were small enough, it'd be even nicer if the mud owners would let you apply for it and make you one from scratch.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 AM   #9
lugh

lugh is on a distinguished road
lugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #10
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Personally, I'd much rather hire a player-run character as a sidekick. Much more interesting that way; you get to learn each other's personalities, it's interaction between players instead of you just forcing some custom-mob object to do your bidding, you have something to spend your coins on (gotta pay your henchman afterall), and who knows? Maybe he'll turn out to be a spy for the opposition and stab you to death in your sleep some day. An NPC will do only, and exactly, what you tell him to do. While that can be fun and even useful, it would be infinitely boring to use ONLY an NPC who doesn't need to get paid, doesn't need to rest after carrying a couch over his head from the shop to your apartment, doesn't need to eat...he doesn't need anything at all. Ever. Boring boring boring.

As for pets, I feel the same way about them as I do with baby character objects: Just say no. They're worse than cheesy; they degrade the game's integrity of roleplay to the nth degree. Of course if you're playing a furry or a hack-n-slash or some kind of "roleplay in this game simply means not saying "w00t" or talking about a baseball game on TV" then sure, have at it.

But if you're trying to roleplay realistically within the theme provided by a more intensive roleplaying game, it's a slap in the face. Unless of course your pet pooch ****s right outside the fancy establishment you hang out at, steals meat from a noble's plate, begs, barks incessantly, and does all the other really annoying stuff that dogs do, at the most inconvenient moments and in the most inopportune locations.

And of course, it's an equal slap in the face when countless other player-run characters stop to snuggle, smooch, pet, beam happily, and pretend to roll over and play dead whenever they see your REALLY BIG, RAZOR-TOOTHED, SNARLING PUP OF DETH AND DESTRUCKSHUN looming in the corner of the tavern.

NPC pets and babies bring out the absolute worst in players. If not you, then everyone around you. In an RPI or any game attempting to strictly enforce roleplay, it's a bad thing. Otherwise, have fun with the pup.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
Dovolente

Home MUD: Avendar: the Crucible of Legends
Dovolente is on a distinguished road
I like the "pet editor" idea!

One recent character I interacted with played a loyal retainer (basic charmie servant mob) as his char's brother. It seemed a challenge trying to handle two full roles at once.

I like giving my mage's elementals annoying properties, like a water elemental bubbling and gurgling at random and leaving puddles everywhere, or an earth elemental scuffing up the floor. However, an elemental's "alien" intelligence would be hard to represent well, so I don't try to give them much in the way of free will.
Dovolente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Well, it gets bad when everyone in the world has to say 'heel' to their pet. It's like fantasy worlds have building codes for pets or something.

I understand the concern over pets, but I still think they're underrated. I think any sort of npc that a player can control for roleplay purposes ought to be a pretty guarded resource and given to people you know won't do anything too silly with them.

Plus, they're a good prop for people who are having a rough time fleshing out their character. You can't expect everyone to be King Lear on entry; I just recently discovered 'roleplay' meant something different than RPG, and while I think I did pretty well without a pet/sidekick, I know it would've been easier on someone green to have a character foil at one side to give them some contrast. Giving someone a pet for a first character concept would be a good way of nursing them into good RP.

I think that way they can get used to controlling both halves of a conversation well enough to be able to handle a situation where they're at one end and another PC's at the other.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
(responding to original post)

I gave hirelings the capability to fill out a group, so players can still enjoy the maximum exp bonus when there's not enough people to fill a party. They dont compare in strength to actual players of course. (Thats, 2 people +1 pet = 3 people = max exp bonus)

They come in two forms..

Animals, which need to be levelled up (i.e. trained), and stay with the character perm. The player can name it, make its desc, issue it some specially made pet commands, etc. This gets a lot of attention for RP.. some people make pets an integral part of their character. Example, we had a rather strange shaman that often yelled the name of his snail as a battlecry.

Mercenaries (humanoid "pets") are also offered, as just hired help. They don't need to be levelled up, but they don't stay with the character after he's left the game. They're also a bit more limited in what they're willing to do for players. Useful for classes that use stealth, and don't need a pet by their side giving them away. Some people just dont want a permanent pet, but they'd still like it from time to time.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #14
Brody
Legend

Smile

Bumped for more responses.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:35 AM   #15
Luvan

Luvan is on a distinguished road
I have used pets to help rp get going, or as part of rp I was doing. The mud I played where I used pets allowed you to customize their desc and short and long description so you could really do whatever you wanted to with them. At one point my character had an eagle (more or less as an IC conversation starter), Dragon (It had a personality, would talk and was usually pretty rude, conversation starter. Or ender heh), Ghost of my characters dead father (part of rp I was doing), a "squire" he was teaching, a messenger (part of some large scale war rp which was hard to do, was just sort of pretend message carrier for my character, who was a general).

I cannot really remember what else, I have never had a NPC rp minion that I could recall, and never had a minon follow my character around in pet form.
Luvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #16
Shane

Shane is on a distinguished road
I can't believe there are people actively opposed to pets! Ah me...

On one mud I played, people simply roleplayed their pets. There was no object that represented it. On MUSH's. it's simple to make a puppet and turn it into your pet, and then if you learn just a little mushcode or can beg borrow or steal a friend who can, you can customize it to your heart's content.

Content?

Anyhow, not every character I have ever had has a pet. Most have not, in fact. But pets are far from cheesy in my view.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
If you roleplay a pet in a (fairly) realistic manner, sure. But even fairly realistic means: You don't leave your pet unattended for game-days while you go hunting. When you're mudsexing your partner, your pet is likely to wonder what all that grunting is about behind closed doors and scratch at the door to get in. If the door's open, he'll probably wander in to see for himself.

Are these people all bringing their pets into taverns? Are these pets house-trained? Do they pee on buildings when you take them for a walk? DO you take them for a walk? Does your feline ever hock a furball at very inconvenient moments? Does your pet bird poop on your shoulder, or worse - on the bar right in front of where a senior agent of the merchant house is sitting? Does your pet hunting hawk (who wouldn't have his wings clipped or he wouldn't be able to hunt) fly around the store you're shopping in and claw up the silk dresses on the rack?

Does your pet bird try to eat your pet snake? Has your pet snake ever gotten lost in the coils of your couch? Do you feed and water these animals regularly?

Do you do anything even remotely realistic with these pets, or do they exist only to bark and meow and squawk cutely so people can crouch down and pet them? Do they actually add anything to the atmosphere? Do they bring a little conflict into things, like if you meet up with someone who's allergic to the fur, or has a morbid fear of that kind of animal? Or are they just props? If that's all they are, teach your character to whittle interesting things into wood instead. You'll notice no difference in the "quality" of roleplay environment than a pet that exists only as a piece of fluff.

My opinion is even more emphatic when it comes to roleplaying pregnancy, childbirth, and care/feeding of infants. If you're gonna do it, do it in a way that people will actually believe your character is caring for an actual baby, and not some inanimate object that coos and makes cute gurgling noises and never wets her diaper or projectile-vomits on random passers-by.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote