Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 05-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Odinreln

Odinreln is on a distinguished road
find a mud,for economic gaming

Hi all.

just wondering if anyone knows of a MUD i could try that has a definitive merchant class, or gameplay, as well as all the usual MUD mechanics, guilds,housing,adventuring etc.

I've played a few MUDs and although most CLAIM to have a proper economy, trading system, and player shops, they all seem to be rewards for advanced players to make more money as they PK,HUNT and QUEST for their main gameplay.

Are there any MUDS out their that actually has an advanced merchant class? where you can choose to base your attention on crafting, trading, building, rather than the usual combat focused classes?

Any help would be much appreciated,

thanks

Odin
Odinreln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road
Re: find a mud,for economic gaming

Any chance you could be more specific?

I suspect you're relatively new to this kind of gaming (what with the posting in newbie help and all), but I have a couple questions that will help others give recommendations.

1) Does codebase matter? (If you don't know what this means, the answer is probably 'no.')
2) Do you care about gameplay other than 'econ stuff being in it?' - For example, do you want a game where most players do things like fight mobs or do trade runs or a game that focuses on character development?
3) Any preferred themes (fantasy, sci-fi, and so on)?
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Odinreln

well, not new, just havent played a wide variety of MUDs. codebase does not matter, as at the moment im purely interested in playing.

yes, other game play matters. so i'm hoping to find a MUD that has a balanced pk, mob kill, quests etc, with the option to focus on being a merchant, crafting, and economy style of play. character develpment and rp is not essential, i dont mind this type of play, but its not a requirement.

i have only played fantasy MUDs. i am open to all sorts of genres, as long as its fun, and challenging.

for an example, lets take a fantasy genre MUD... I would like to find one, with the usual mage,warrior,priest, thief, but also maybe a specific merchant class, or regular citizen, with basic fighting,huting skills, and focus his development on crafting, trading, economic style of play.

i suppose it doesnt matter if there is no actual specific merchant class to choose from, as long as the game has a very active economy,trade and crafting influence, available to noobs and not just advanced characters who have got all their xp from killing.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Well friend, it seems you came to the right place. New Worlds Ateraan has exactly what you are looking for. The game boasts two different merchant type guilds, the Merchants of the Kingdom and the Traders of the Southland City State of Darmahk. Both guilds control the economy in several different ways. Both guilds are entirely based around creation, economy, and roleplay.

The guilds control the building and selling of ships, creation and modification of clan abodes and houses, creation and running of caravans with player-guards (these are one of the more exciting events in the game with sometimes over 10 guards in dangerous caravans), creating a variety of items and some unique distant weapons, holding auctions, and at higher levels hiring servants, porters, guards, and soldiers.

If you are new to the game, it is strongly advisable you start North in the Kingdom and seek for the merchant guild as the Trader guild is in the south and much more difficult. Either way, some of the best roleplayers in the game play merchants and traders.

I encourage you to visit and read about the Merchants and Traders and about the game in general. Good Luck!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Odinreln

thanks for the post, I will check that out, it sounds like what I'm after.

Odin
Old 05-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Odinreln

also any other recommendations still welcome.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Odinreln, the game I am about to suggest is not open yet, but we are entering stage III testing which we hope will be the final testing stage before release.

I will explain one of the game mechanics a bit so you can see how the trade classes are distinct from the combat classes in Primordiax:

Primordiax characters choose a class (combat, support, or trade) and then a profession (a specific job within that class). For example, a warrior is combat class, warrior profession. A weaponsmith is trade class, weaponsmith profession. Players receive 10 skill points and 5 hobby points per level. Skill points can be used to advance skills related to your class or profession. Hobby points can be used to advance any other skill not connected to your class or profession.

Take a level 20 weaponsmith for example. He can train profession skills all the way up to his level (a level 20 swordsmith can train swordcrafting to 20). He could also train the sword combat skill to 10 (half his level) using hobby points. In character, he would consider sword combat a hobby.

Trade class characters could live their entire lives in civilized portions of the game, or even a single city. Crafted items are the best in the game, so trade class characters are very important. Food and potions are also very important, so cooks and alchemists play a vital role as well.

Our wiki has more details. If you are interested in participating in our next phase of testing, just drop me a PM.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody

*bump for other possible recommendations*
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote