Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Kaerigan

Kaerigan is on a distinguished road
Smile Looking for a newbie MUD

Hello there, my name is Kaerigan. I've been wanting to get into playing MUDs for a while now but I've never really succeeded. I've tried a few of them, but I've never really gotten past the two hour mark. Maybe MUDs aren't just for me, but I want to give another try. I've played some MMOs (WoW, CoX, LOTRO) but never really felt at home in any of them. And I'm no twitch gamer so the plethora of FPSs out there probably aren't anything for me.

So what am I looking for? Well, as the title says, a MUD suitable for newbies/beginners that haven't got a whole lot of experience with MUDs.

I would like to try roleplaying (something I've never really done before) and I know how serious people are about this (and for good reasons too, it seems like a lot of fun once you get in to it) so I'd like to end up in a game where I can learn how to roleplay properly without destroying others' fun by asking questions.

Content besides fighting mobs would be much appreciated. Some of the games I tried seem to be all about killing stuff and little else. Grinding is no fun, even if it's disguised as quests (I'm looking at you, WoW). Fun, engaging and non-repetitive combat would be a plus.

I'd like a game where I don't get lost. It probably sounds silly, but I have a hell of time trying to navigate in some MUDs. Built in (good) maps can make a big difference for me.

I don't like PKing. If the game has PKing, it should be voluntary, like setting a PK flag or something, I don't know. Maybe my opinions on this matter will change later but as of now I much prefer PvE content.

Also, I don't know how I feel about the whole permadeath concept. But I have never really played a game with permadeath before so I try to keep an open mind about it.

Nice people is always a plus.

Won't mention what games I've played as like I said earlier, didn't really get too far in them so I don't think I should give up on them completely just yet.

Grateful for answers! Also, this is mostly a wishlist. If you think you know a game which only has some of the features mentioned above, feel free to present it.

Last edited by Kaerigan : 05-01-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Kaerigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Orange

Orange is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a newbie MUD

What you're looking for, by the sounds of it, is a so called "roleplaying intensive game" (the majority of MUDs which aren't RP intensive, you'll find, more often than not involve a lot of "grinding"). I don't think there's any official definition of an RPI, but common elements are: permadeath (I know you're leery of it, but give it a try before you judge), strict separation of OOC and IC, in-depth characters and roleplaying (generally only sparse out of character chatter), and a focus on playing out a character as opposed to grinding mobs. PKing is often allowed, but must have a valid in-character reason (no PKing for fun or 'experience points'). As such, the fun from RPI tends to be derived from interaction and writing out a story, not combat. Does this sound like what you're looking for?

There's a bunch of RPIs out there, but the problem is they tend to have a steep learning curve (you wanted a newbie MUD). I know everyone likes to advertise their M** as "newbie friendly", but you'd be hard pressed to find an RPI easy to get into for someone with little experience with MUDs, yet alone roleplaying intensive ones, AFAIK.

I can only think of one RPI which meets all your criteria, for the most part: Firan MUX. I never got into the game, but it seemed easy enough to navigate the game world, the players seemed very friendly OOCly, it's strictly RP-enforced (roleplaying intensive), however there was permadeath and PKing permitted, but only within reason (combat, if I recall, could be quite deadly, and 'crippling' wounds could even be inflicted, however combat wasn't regularly engaged in except perhaps sparring). But what was most intriguing about the game was the character creation system, or rather, the lack thereof; you didn't make a new character, but rather, you chose one out of a 'roster'. Everytime a player becomes inactive, their character gets put back into the roster for another player to pick up and start playing again where the last player left the character. There was a pregnancy code, and child objects would eventually become characters which could be played by other players as it aged. This results in all characters having player-controlled relatives, which should help you get in the game easier because you can immediately start RP with someone (a relative/sibling), or ask them OOCly for assistance. The game still is quite daunting for a newbie to get into, but it should help you ease into things.

Oh yeah, and the standard of RP is high. RP tends to be slow paced, with a lot of massive poses, etc. etc. You may find that daunting too, until you become a more competent RPer and writer, as well.

Maybe when you feel up for it, you could look into 'Armageddon'. Faster paced RP than Firan, exceptional level of RP, highly in-depth world. Unfortunately, there's only a few maps (fairly detailed but not perfectly precise) for a few locations so you may get lost at first, but the game also makes good use of "helpers" - players who volunteer to help out newbies with any question they may have, so you can ask questions to your heart's desire and know you're not bothering anyone or disturbing RP. Check it out here:

Be sure to check out the Helper's page, and 'help map' once you get a character accepted into the game. I wouldn't exactly call the game newbie friendly by a long shot however, keep that in mind.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
nikolausv

Home MUD: http://tharel.net/
nikolausv is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to nikolausv

You might give a few minutes of your time.

There is mini-map support, which certainly helps stop the 'lost' feeling. Pk is voluntary.
There is some content beside's killing Mob's. Crafting, although this is better performed at higher levels.
RP is encouraged, rather than required. So consider that your RP training wheels.
nikolausv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Pymeus

Home MUD: tharel.net
Pymeus is on a distinguished road

On the whole our players are also really open to newbies and their questions. There are several of us who don't mind answering even a whole bunch of questions.
Pymeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hello Kaerigan,

Many players from larger MMO's graphic games have come to New Worlds Ateraan only to find the immersive play and enjoyable interaction is far superior even in text to those big graphic hogs. We relate this to reading a book vs. watching a movie in that industry.

I will try to give you some reasons why to try NWA based on your requests.

I would say that from the players perspective NWA is a excellent for begginners to MUDs. We have a fulltime staff and guides to assist new players as well as a very insightful creation for brand new players. Just make sure you start in the north and not the south (which is for very experienced players).

Many have learned to roleplay in NWA. We are indeed serious about it, but we have channels to ask questions on and areas to gain help from experienced players, guides, or staff to assist you in learning.

NWA has a wide variety of things to do. Many have nothing to do with combat. Like sailing ships, whaling, fishing, crabbing, digging for clams, farming, having theatrical plays, auction events, trapping animals, etc. This list is long and extensive. Some of these things can be found early in the game, but some take awhile to learn about. We have two guilds specifically designed to not involve combat, so maybe one of these is your forte'. Find out in game.

The starting town in the Kingdom (north) is specifically arranged to be relatively structured so you don't get lost. You get a map of it in creation, guides and players will give you a tour, and many players are around to guide you to locations in the starting town. I won't promise you won't get lost, but this opening city should be relatively simple if you follow your map.

NWA has both resurrected death and permadeath. It is unlikely you will run into permadeath initially if you start North, so don't worry about that.

With the guides and staff and comraderie of the players at NWA, I think you will find a home.

One thing you should know. It takes some time to get a good feel for a system and functionality in a text game, however, many of our new MUD players on NWA have been very thankful NWA was their first pick. Give it a try for a few weeks!

Good Luck!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Kaerigan

Kaerigan is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions! I must say I'm intrigued by all of them! Now I'll just have to decide which one to try first...

Thanks!
Kaerigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
dasy2k1

dasy2k1 is on a distinguished road

I second New Worlds Ateraan!

if you dont want to play a fighting class the merchants guild there might well be for you or one of the clerical guilds!

as for finding your way around the map is very good in the city, once you leave you are more on your own, but you can allways take somone else along with you to show you the way (within reason)
dasy2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

You might even try being a Rogue as an option to not have to deal with guild leadership.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road

Well you could try GateWay. It was my second MUD ever and I found it quite suitable as a newbie!

GateWay has REAL quests. Believe me they are awesome. Some involve some serious puzzle solving and others test your ability to explore and search for things to the limit!

I'm not sure any game (of any sort not just MUD) can really avoid being repetitive combat wise. GateWay does have many different mobs many of whom have special abilities. Some are quite stunning (literally Grrrr! I'll get you yet Dray Sentuin!).

GateWay has purely opt in PK with a PK flag. And that's a late addition, traditionally a non-PK MUD. No permadeath either.

Nice people? Well that's GateWay's strength! I think the lack of PK always attracted a more pleasant sort of person to the MUD.

Give it a try, it might not tick off all the checkmarks on your list, hehe, but I think it's not a bad fit.
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

Check out It is a new MUD and kicking off the opening to Beta this weekend.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Newworlds
Legend

Excellent. Congrats on moving to Beta!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #12
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Kaerigan,

Without going through the whole quote/reply process, I'm going to recommend to you. The company that created it has been making online games for almost 20 years, but Primordiax itself is only a couple of months old.

It fits all or most of your criterion, and in addition to being newbie friendly the mud itself is a newbie! You can be part of a new, growing community which is often a lot easier than trying to break into the established community of old timers that naturally develops on any game that has been around for a few years.

As far as non-combat activities, our crafting system is exceptional. It is as deep as combat, with its own gear, buffs, support skills and abilities, and the ability to team up with other crafters to make items. Crafters earn their xp directly from crafting and selling their goods. They don't spend half their time killing stuff for xp just to learn how to make a new sword or cook a new food recipe.

We also have our own custom web client that adds some very helpful graphical elements to the game (health/mana bars for you, health bars for your entire party, clickable macros/hotkeys, gear loadouts, portraits for your character as well as others you encounter in game, etc.).

Check it out:

Website for details:

Wiki for world lore:

Click here to play immediately:

Good luck finding a new online home!
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

Admin: this guy hussey looks very much like a link spammer.
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
Newworlds
Legend

I think Hussey has been out hussled.