Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 11-25-2004, 10:17 AM   #61
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I guess I didn't see it at all like what you described, Molly. Not some exclusive site - what would be the point in that? I saw it outlined something like this:

At the top of the page in readable, but not blaring font:

(Name of Newly formed organization of contributors) Presents:

(Some kind of catchy title in blaring font to draw attention to potential mudders)

(Text extolling the virtues of muds, and of the mudding community)

(A graphic or two, maybe a paste of a generic room in some nonexistent mud to show potential mudders what a mud looks like)

At the bottom of the page:

Sponsored in part by the generous contributions from:

(Name of Mud, hyperlink to the mud's website
Name of Mud, hyperlink to the mud's website
Name of Mud, hyperlink to the mud's website)

through the benevolent auspices of (name of newly formed organization)

End

Kinda standard operations for almost any group advertising venture in the USA, in any case.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:45 AM   #62
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Well, you may have seen it that way, Jazuela, but I don't think that is quite what the_logos had in mind. In fact I distinctly remember statements of his like:

"Yeah, this is going to take some time to work out in terms of what the arrangements would be. I totally understand that MUDs being run as hobbys are not likely to have owners willing to contribute a lot (or any) money. The trick here is that I really do want to show the outside gaming world that text MUDs generally can offer a lot of great things, but I don't want to do it enough to essentially pay a lot to promote other people's MUDs. "

This suggests something quite different to me than what you seem to picture. I don't see how the rest of the Mud Community, beyond the few Muds that contributed monetary to that site, would benefit from it at all. And I doubt that any of the ones that did contribute a bit with constructive input on the thread would have been mentioned on that site either. That's what I meant by 'exclusive' site.

But of course the entire question is moot now, since the project is dropped anyhow.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:22 PM   #63
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Just a quick question, Achaea.

What part of that statement was so insulting to you?

Saying to someone to not take anything you say personally?

Or to not get insulted by what you say?
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:47 AM   #64

You can stuff the pop psychology, I'm not interested in it as it says nothing about morality.  I could show it's human nature to kill...end of story.  No, morality is governed by both action and intention, not just one or the other at your pleasure.  If what Brody claim was true, "it is not immoral" then no one would be offended or uncomfortable with the ideas and questions I asked.  Ah but things are apparently different.  99% of the donors to charities do not receive any compensation whatsoever and give in return for nothing.  I decided to loose my tongue when I read about using sick kids as a "guerilla" marketing opportunity on page 4 if your interested in the forensics of rants.  Considering the nonstop self promotion, preening, chest puffing and tone deaf corporate ear and history of the source well... let's just say it doesn't take a genious to make a judgement.  Most people I know believe that giving to charity for altruistic reasons is noble and virtuous, but for reasons of self-promotion and profit, or pride and selfishness, to be ignoble and not virtuous.  That is my moral position and I state it with certainty, and "by the same right" as those who state otherwise yet ask, by what right do I?  

P.S. To marketing, my particular view on these issues is not an aberrant blip in your data.  Have Smithers check your premises Mr. Burns.

P.P.S. To anyone who may be confused, yes, my prior posts were lampooning, dark sarcasm, whatever term you prefer.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:59 AM   #65
John

John is on a distinguished road
Why don't you go ask the kids who benefit from it before condemning this as an immoral act. Hmmm?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:00 AM   #66
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
A word of caution, Tyche:
Irony is usually a dangerous weapon, because there will always be some people around who do not detect the irony, and consequently will take everything you say literally. Also there are some subjects that are just too sensitive to make fun of. Cancer-sick Children is one of those. Starving people in Africa is another. I’m afraid that your posts will offend a lot of folks, and probably not the ones you were targeting in the first place either.

This is not meant as a flame, however. I do get the point that you are trying to convey, and I also agree with most of it. People crowing about their charity on Discussion boards, while at the same time counting new hits on their webpages, do turn me off a bit too. I do not particularly cherish people goading others to go and do the same either.

Sure it’s a good thing that some of the money for the publicity goes to some deserving purpose. Still, as Tyche already pointed out, most of us give to some kind of charity. But most of us like to choose what kind of charity we give to on our own. And most of us do not brandish our ‘unselfishness’ publicly on Discussion boards. Doing so actually reminds me a bit of that old story about Jesus Christ and the Pharisees.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #67

True.

Reminds me of the ancient parable of the Diku license.  You can accept donations, but if there's any in-game benefits you are in violation of the license.   What's the Diku group's definition of charity?  Is that not the spirit of the license?  I don't know but I strongly suspect the POV is the similar to mine.  My opinion of the "business of charity" is that it ain't.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:40 AM   #68

I do a lot of charity work with runaway teenage girls.  I help them out by giving them money and they sleep with me.  It's very noble and virtuous work.  If you have a problems with me promoting this charitable work go ask them before condemning it.  'kay?

BTW, The above isn't true.  I expect you to consider my intent.  It's not noble.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #69
John

Your ignoring my point. My point wasn't "ignore the intent" it was "yes, they're doing this for advertising. But really, it isn't that bad." Maybe in your world perving on teenagers and getting publicity are comparable acts, but in mine they're worlds apart.

An example of someone emotionally invested in a charity not giving a rats toss is in the television show, The Apprentice. In it two groups have to do tasks, one task was to sell a product. One team said "why don't we give to a charity. People are much more willing to buy our product that way.." I believe the person who suggested it was someone who had lost his brother to lukemia. He definitely suggested donating to a lukemia fund. My family's reaction to that was "hey, that's a good idea" and then when they DID donate a good amount as opposed to $100 we were like "hey, aren't these guys great?"

We knew they were doing it to win the task, we accepted that from the get go. And we saw nothing wrong with that. No-one in the show saw anything wrong with it (that they said anyway). If someone who had lost their brother to lukemia didn't mind donating the money to a lukemia charity, I don't think it's a terrible at all.

Businesses donating to charities I believe do so for the benefits most of the time. I don't see anything morally wrong with it, and I'm amazed that some people do.

Then again, I can't help but wonder. What would the reaction had been to this had the_logos not been connected. Call me cynical, but I doubt it would have been like this.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:45 PM   #70
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Once upon a time, Jazuela worked for a big dairy company on the east coast of the USA. She was marketing secretary for the company, and used to get requests for donations from everyone and their brother. Most of them she turned down, because most of them wanted to tie in to product promotions her boss didn't want to promote over the rest of the product line.

One day, the American Heart Association sent a note asking if the dairy would be interested in a flat donation. Jaz's boss said "Sure, let's send them $200." Jaz said to the boss, "Hey - what about this instead?" and the boss loved the idea and let her run the whole program herself.

The result: For each gallon of 1% milk that home delivery customers purchased during a 1-month period at a 15-cent discount off the usual retail price, the company would donate ten cents. So that was a total of a 25-cent discount, between the 15 cents to the customer and the 10 cents to the AHA.

The dairy sold more gallons of 1% milk that month than in any other month since 1% milk was first brought on the product line, and we donated almost $1000 to the AHA, instead of the $200 the boss originally suggested.

Jazuela felt VERY good about it. The boss was deliriously happy. The AHA sent the office a very heartwarming thank-you note, and everyone lived happily ever after.

What it boils down to Tyche, is this: You may eat my shorts.

The end.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #71
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:19 PM   #72
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

That just goes to show about the "best of your understanding." If you bothered to visit the Child's Play site, it spells out that we're giving 5 percent of our proceeds until Christmas - not a flat fee up front. So, it's rather necessary for us to let people know about the charitable donations so that we maximize sales in order to maximize contributions to Child's Play during this period. So, the more the_logos publicizes this, the more the kids get, hopefully.

For total clarity, visit and click on Partners.

Hope that clears things up.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:27 PM   #73

No not ignoring it, but missing it.  You asked a question about how the recipients felt, and I missed the part about what you are quoting above.  Despite it being a hypothetical there's nothing "pervy" about it.  If I gave them money and took pictures of them in Armageddon T-shirts...well now that would be perverted.  People would talk and I wouldn't want something like that getting around.  But seriously, the fraud isn't in the transaction, as it's obviously mutually beneficial.  The fraud is in me selling you on the idea that charity is about the ROI, in this case sex.  Sex, money, power, no difference to me.

Sorry I'm not all that familiar with TV game shows.  I do know that nobody ever loses on The People's Court, and I suspect it's the same with The Apprentice.  

Yeah I did mention that.  He isn't the only person I've flamed.  Maybe they don't really get that the free mud community is flush with altruists of many different stripes.  That's always been the problem when hobbyists and professionals mix.

PS or Note to Admin:  I changed the time in the quote.  Apparently a colon followed by a zero in the time field is interpreted as an emoticon.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:32 PM   #74

Old 11-27-2004, 06:38 PM   #75

I think you mean statutory rape.  No there needn't be any of that.  If you're having trouble with the legal angle, I'll tell you I do my charity work in Amsterdam.  I intended for the word "prostitution" to come to mind; followed by mental prostitution of something, prostitution of the press, the protestituion of abilities, and finally the prostitution of charity.  You are right.  I'm no Jonathan Swift. ;-)

Now amusingly, constitutional rape would be when I take your money under threat of imprisonment in order to give it to the less fortunate and then ask you to call it charity.  :-P  An interesting tangent but not really situationally related to any point I'd make save one.  And that is I do know business people who operate under the same general principle of "Not yours to give" in respect and responsibilty to shareholders and partners.  Instead opting to open their own wallets in return for nothing.   I have no criticisms of them.  That's where Achaea's Gates analogy fails, because much of what Gates and his wife do falls into that realm.  The condoms they give out to Africans don't have microsoft stamped on them.  (And yeah on many levels there's some great fodder for jokes if that they did).  But yes, it's definately possible for the officers of corporation to do charity work in a way that does not call into question their motives (at least in respect to prostituting their business as opposed to the specific charity work).  OTOH, Microsoft giving computers to schools ain't charity work.  If I recall they've been roasted in forums for that "charity" work.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:05 PM   #76

Here's a similar and worthy alternative --

This charity doesn't have a secondary goal like ChildsPlay.  It's not about polishing the image of gamers and promoting the gaming industry.  Not about the Marines either.   So it's probably offtopic, but I'll run that risk.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #77
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #78
Sinuhe

Sinuhe is on a distinguished road
the_logos, Nov. 24 2004,15:56
I cannot speak for Dulan of course.  But then again, neither can you.  Nor for me.

Because a fact is, that you don’t have a clue about what other aliases I, or he for that matter, might be using on the net, or what we might, or might not, have achieved under those other aliases.  You see, not everyone shares your habit of crowing, flexing and strutting all over the boards about everything we do that might bring some more players to our games.

Another thing is that the most interesting input on this thread came from other people than you.  People that you didn’t even have the common decency to acknowledge in that little thank-you-and-goodbye note of yours.

But since you brought the subject up, why don’t you enlighten us all about what great and unselfish deeds you have done for the text mud community yourself?  (I mean, apart from causing the rules of the voting list to be changed twice because of your ‘innovative’ methods of scrounging some extra votes for your game?  Or those equally ‘innovative’ advertisements in the past, where a number of non-existing people voted Achaea ‘the number one Mud on the net’?  Or of course that old thread where you tried to persuade all mud owners to start breaking the Diky licence?  Or that even older post on MudDev, where you were crowing happily about your new concept for get ting rich on your Mud?  Since that one was even longer ago, I cannot recall the exact wording.  But the gist of it was, that most players are so stupid and power-hungry that they’d pay almost any amount of money, if they thought that it could bring them any advantages in a game.  While this actually may hold some element of truth, I cannot help wondering if your players are aware that you hold them in this high esteem).

But, there might of course be other unselfish achievements that you have done for the mud community, which just slipped your mind, so that you forgot to mention them on the boards?  Come on, don’t be coy, enlighten us!  I am sure that your huge fan club is waiting breathlessly for some new words of wisdom from their idol.

And while he is working on that list, which will no doubt be impressive, here is another quote of his, for the rest of you, including the list Admin  to ponder.

Could any of you explain to me how the text mud community in general (or any mud except those that paid to participate) would have benefited from this exclusive venture, if it wasn’t even meant to drive any traffic to the two largest existing mudlisting sites?  

And while it might be true that several of the mud listed have poor-looking websites, it is also true that quite a number have very good ones, and also very good games. But a majority of those might also be non commercial muds, and that is of course something that a commercial mud owner is not very interested in promoting, since it offers a kind of competition that he isn’t keen on. Perhaps that is why he was so eager to persuade all free mud owners to start violating the Diku licence?
Sinuhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:49 PM   #79
John

You drive traffic to say "Otherspace, Achaea and Aardwolf" which all have links to TMS and you'll get a trickle-effect to TMS.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:26 PM   #80
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Interesting. I guess you must have access to parts of my email inbox that I don't, given that you're apparently aware of offers of financial help from Lanthum and Sanvean that I'm not.

I doubt you actually wanted to do anything but flame us anyway though. Par for the course.
--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote

Text mud promotion to the outside world - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legends of Karinth Staff Promotion: Muirdach Fern MUD Announcements 0 05-07-2006 07:20 PM
Legends of Karinth Staff Promotion: New Imp Fern MUD Announcements 0 06-01-2005 02:06 AM
Aesthetics in a Text Based World Raewyn MUD Administration 26 05-02-2005 07:17 PM
Mud Promotion Nightmare TheDemonMaster MUD Humor 8 07-07-2004 08:01 PM
Text editors for Rot 1.4 shade MUD Coding 0 10-02-2002 04:33 PM