Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Legal Issues
Click here to Register

Old 08-15-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
tresspassor

tresspassor is on a distinguished road
Hey all, I’ve seen this diku thread open about once every three days. Right now its going on a mud promotion thread. It goes something like this:

Paying programmers for programming on a Diku is against its license... No its not!

I don't use diku, or any other derivative. I'm really interested in hard facts.

Could anyone (if they have permission) post direct emails, text conversations, thread responses, phone calls etc. That are from the Diku team (or one of the other associated licenses that fall within Diku's scope) that have specific relations to this topic?

Other things that would apply are direct quotes from attorneys, lawyers etc (direct quotes please, not second hand information).

A few suggestions to make this easy to read:

Please post the entire (or the parts that are relevant) quote, unedited, in a QUOTE, then make comments about it afterwards.

Oh please include the date you received it, that would make things easier for everyone.

Here post comments about the email in question

I'd like to make this a reference thread to try and keep it from starting over... and over... and over...
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 04:00 PM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Look, it's really simple.

The , states:

"Authors of literary or artistic works shall enjoy the exclusive right of authorizing adaptations, arrangements and other alterations of their works."

Only the copyright holder can give you permission to make an alteration to their work. The only way to gain permission from the Diku team is via the Diku license.

states:

"You may under no circumstances make profit on *ANY* part of DikuMud in any possible way."

And:

"You are allowed to alter DikuMud, source and documentation as long as you do not violate any of the above stated rules."

You cannot modify Diku without first agreeing to the license - and the license prevents you from profiting from Diku in any possible way.

It's no different from the distribution clause - everyone understands that you can't sell copies of Diku mud. The only people debating the "paying coders" issue are those who don't realise that distribution is only one of the five exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder; one of the others is the rights to modify the work (aka creating derivative works), as described in the first link I provided.

There is some good information about the rights at the website.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote

Diku License -- Facts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diku license the_logos Legal Issues 86 07-27-2007 08:31 AM
DIKU License Revisited xanes Legal Issues 14 07-27-2007 08:16 AM
What if there had never been DIKU? Threshold Tavern of the Blue Hand 24 05-26-2006 07:43 PM
The DIKU license the_logos Tavern of the Blue Hand 242 05-06-2006 12:28 PM
original Diku? david Advertising for Players 0 02-16-2006 02:26 AM