Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-31-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
Blorp

Blorp is on a distinguished road
Armageddon, considered one of the funnest, most engaging MUDs in the world today, combines a mix of MUSH-like roleplaying emphasis, with the reliance on code that is pretty much a mainstay in most games. The result is a living, breathing world. A simulated environment called Zalanthas, where the real-world is a memory. There is no OOC, there is no 'chat'. Its a game where people come to live in, shape, and otherwise create the world around them, as if they were really there.

Many of the token aspects of 'role-playing encouraged' and 'role-playing enforced' muds have been stripped away. You don't know everyone's name. There are no global channels, there is no omnipotent who-list, no skill numbers, no levels.

People come here to role-play. Not to bs, pk each other for no reason, etc. This coupled with a dynamic skill-learning system, an intriguing and mysterious magick system, and 1000s of crafteable items that fit into over 20 crafts, produces something more then a MUSH... which most people equate the unparalelled role-playing experience to.

Don't get me wrong, Armageddon is HARD. Probably the hardest MUD you will ever ever ever play. Its based in a hot desert world, where the lack of food, water, and overall hostility of the natives make living a chore... a chore you'll enjoy every minute of. Even when you've been robbed blind by a gang of elven thieves, and left for dead by the mysterious sorceror you'll be thinking of ways to get them back.

AGAIN, don't get me wrong, Armageddon isn't all about PKing, fighting, conflict, etc. But in this game, everyone can be killed. Your actions reap what consequences are appropriate. Live a safe, quiet life and you'll likely not find trouble, go slaughtering the hoardes of poor in the 'Rinth and you may find more then a few cuthroats coming after you.

Nearly any type of character is welcome here. The variety of classes and subclass comboes allow you be what you want, while at the same time limiting the more demanding roles to either trusted or responsible characters, to prevent the abuse inherent with powerful, extraordinary characters.
-Want to be the world's greatest tailor? Sure.
-Want to be the world's greatest fighter? Sure.
-Want to live the quiet life as a miner, struggling day to day for food, and just barely making ends meet? Sure.
-Want to play a tribal warrior, living out in the wastes with his only living family, fighting off not only the horrors that dwell in the desert but the long-time enemy tribes? Sure.
-Want to play a spy, sparking intrigue and political chaos between noble houses? Sure.

Almost anything is possible, and the lack of levels provides a sense of balance between new and old characters, while at the same time allowing a realistic system of growth and achievement. Dedication pays off, and those that treat their characters realistically will notice the most improvement. Those that think spamming, twinking, and all other sorts of great things are the quickest way to sucess will find themselves sorely mistaken.

The world, based loosley on the Dark Sun universe, is expansive, mysterious, and challenging. Players can play for years and not see it all. But feel throughouly accomplished in having just seen what the've seen. This is perserved by a tight reining in of OOC by the large staff. And its quite easy to monitor due to the fact taht there are no ooc means of communication in-game. Added to the realism of the world, it makes it so that a 5 minute old character CAN'T go challenge the vast deserts, while those that have put time into developing their characters can, even if only to find yet something stronger then them.  The outside world isn't merely there, its touchable, interactable. Need a stone? Go into the desert and search for one. Want some wood for a cane? Go into the forest and look. No need to kill mob after mob for some piece of equipment or special item to do something.

NPCs are treated as sentient beings, as much a part of the game as you are.

Armageddon has been in the mudding business for over a decade, and with an established staff of coders, implementors, builders, scripters, and Clan-imms, we have most of the bases covered. And at the same time, an active community of 100s of people, all as commited to the role-playing experience as the staff that encourages it, help keep the game running, by pointing out bugs, submitting ideas, fleshing out the ideaology of the world, and helping those new.

There is literally always someone on. With the pbase ranging from 50-100 at peak times.

I could really go on forever... but feel that by now your either totally turned off, or looking for an address to click. And I'm about done eitherway.

Come check out the homepage at: armageddon.org
Have a question? Check out the GDB:

Or just stop on by at:
ginka.armageddon.org:4050

(if you have any questions that you can't find answers to, send me an email at , or post as a guest on the GDB, link above).
Blorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:42 PM   #2
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
Excuse me, but what exactly do you mean by "considered one of the funnest, most engaging MUDs in the world today."?

Surely there haven't been a study or a global vote as to whether your mud is the funnest in the world, right?

Heck, all of my players will definately say that MY Mud is the funnest in the world, and not yours, and that goes to all other muds and their players out there. So how can you write something like that, and on the first line, and not expect someone to simply stop reading the ad and post a comment?
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:07 AM   #4
Amnon

Not the way I see it... When someone says something is considered to be the best thing in the world, it usually means a global opinion, not just a number of people's opinions.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:03 AM   #5
erdos

Have to agree with Amnon here.  Amnon's mud is genuinely refreshing and unique.  Armageddon is pure crap, and by claiming "Hi! We're THE funnest mud on the net!" they immediately forfeit ALL credibility, unless they can link to some survey (which uses sound clinical trials) or other non-biased study.  Now, if they can produce such a study, then I myself have just forfeit credibility and I bow to them.  But I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
Jazuela

1) The first guy on this thread didn't say we're "the" funnest muds on the net. So your arguement against that is moot.

2) You state that Armageddon is pure crap. I'd like to see some facts to back up that claim, since you also neglected to state "I think" or "In my opinion."

3) As for it being "considered one of the" most fun and engaging games on the net, I'd offer this: It is considered one of the most fun and engaging games on the net by people who play it. And there is your data to back up the claim.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
Sanvean

Sanvean is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sanvean
I agree that Blorp probably should have qualified "funnest' as his opinion or referred to some of the kudos received from players. I'm not sure it's a post that warranted an attack like "pure crap", which seems a little overboard. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle - although I'd like to think it's a little closer to "funnest" on the continuum.

If this had been placed somewhere other than the Advertising for Players forums, which is full of plenty of hyperbole, I'd feel the attack was a little more justified. However, there's plenty of advertisements in here that you didn't seem to feel quite so bile-worthy.
Sanvean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #8
Amnon

I wasn't attacking anyone... I, personally, don't think that mud is pure crap either, it's ok... I've never really played it for too long, but I got my impressions out of it.

All I said is that if you're gonna say something is considered to be one of the funnest muds in the world, make sure it really IS considered one of the funnest muds in the world. And not just by your own players, cause unless your players represent 51% or more of the mud community, it just doesn't count.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #9
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure Sanvean's post was directed at Erdos. Erdos, doesn't seem to be interested in RPI's. When I say seem, I refer only to my limited experience with him, where he asked me to work on his mud, on which he wanted to code, but not handle any of the story or rp stuff. I imagine he wasn't crazy for my concept, because he never responded to my email. To which I shrug. If I had to guess, I would think that Erdos's opinion that Armageddon is crap, might be likened to boxing fans who think hockey is crap. You know, too much rp between fights.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:46 PM   #10
Raith

Arrow

Old 04-01-2004, 10:25 PM   #11
Jazuela

Ammon, you wanna split hairs? Let's split hairs.

The luxurious silky golden hair:

"One Of The Best" means - not "the best" but merely one of at least two, and as many as all (since they can, in essence, be equally wonderful in their own way and therefore part of the set called "the best"). Armageddon fits into this category perfectly.

The gnarly coarse crusty pube: Any other possible interpretation of "one of the best."
Old 04-01-2004, 11:12 PM   #12
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Good grief! This was posted in a section called "Advertising for Players", not "Scientifically Proven MUD Facts". If you think every advertiser who claims its product is "one of the best" or "the best" or "the world's best" has any sort of scientific survey to back it up, you're living in lala land. Give Armageddon (and the rest of us) a break!
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 01:43 AM   #13
Amnon

Old 04-02-2004, 02:20 AM   #14
Blorp

Blorp is on a distinguished road
Blorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 04:51 AM   #15
AngelaChristine

AngelaChristine is on a distinguished road
AngelaChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:17 AM   #16
Jazuela

It's also easily one of the best because we have Angela Christine, and you don't.

And now look at what you'e done! You went and got her all fired up and she posted and didn't even include a link to some sick twisted website, or even mention vaginal teeth!

Be ashamed, Ammon and Erdos. Be very, very ashamed.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:35 AM   #17
Amnon

Heh, the reason why I stuck to your post and not the other ones... all those "modified" (+2 skills, and new color scheme) godwars... Is because Armageddon -is- (at least in my opinion) one of the more... ummm... important (I don't know if that's the word I should be using) muds out there, or better yet Known muds out there.

I really don't care for 90% of the other mud advertisements out there. And if your excuse is 'everybody else does it', than just know that 'everybody else' is not a good example or role model. You're above them.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:28 PM   #18
UnderSeven

UnderSeven is on a distinguished road
You can't talk about RPI muds without mentionin Armageddon. It's truely on it's own wave length and some people will love it, some will hate it. Whatever you're after is the question to ask, not wiether or not Armageddon is Quality.

I know Ammon didn't say Arm was awful, so this isn't directed at him, but to anyone who would say Armageddon is awful, I ask you what aspect is considered so awful..? Over ten years running? A huge all original world? Fresh ideas and concepts which most muds don't use or boast? A dedicated large immortal staff that constantly maintains and updates the world?

What's my point? Armageddon might not be your cup of tea and I respect that. But to call it not quality is a horribly flawed statement. It is art designed for a fairly specific taste, but it IS art, it has been the effort of a lot of people to make it what it is. If you can't respect the work put into that game then you better be able to bring up a good arguement about why not or you're just making a fool of yourself.
UnderSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:58 PM   #19
Tamaterelian

Tamaterelian is on a distinguished road
New ideas makes me need to use my thinky-box, and I don't like that so much. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go watch Big Fat Gary's Hour O' Trucks 'N' Chains, considered by a lonely guy in Arkansas to be one of the finest television programs ever created.

-T

P.S. The phrase "large immortal staff" makes me think of a gathering of Greek titans or something. I have to say, if this adequately describes Armageddon's staff, I am definitely joining that game.

P.P.S. If I never again encounter the phrase "vaginal teeth," it'll be too soon.
Tamaterelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:53 PM   #20
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote