Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 05-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Kelvin

Kelvin is on a distinguished road
Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Sounds neat!
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Kelvin

Old 05-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Kelvin

Sorry for the additional spam, but I just thought I'd make another quick note. We currently give new players an adjusted amount of funds to help them get in the game and stand a chance against the more experienced players more or less immediately. With the current starter funds, you can expect to be able to purchase one large, well rounded unit or a number of smaller ones. In addition to having these funds, you do start with a number of starter units that are also very solid. For any of you who are familiar with Battletech, the are currently: JR7-K Jenner, PXH-3S Phonix Hawk, and TDR-7M Thunderbolt.

If any of this doesn't make sense to you, not to worry. We have a dedicated subsection of our staff that is entirely devoted to helping new players, Come on by and join the fray!
Old 05-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
Kelvin--

I like your non-MU* centric ad style.

Is that the kind of thing you post up in game shops and whatnot? Can I yoink some of those ideas/styles at some point in the future? It *looks* like you do a good job of attracting book-players into your gameworld... do you find this ad works for attracting players?
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Kelvin

In all honesty, we haven't done any real paper advertising, although we do have flyers posted up on the website for those who want to. To my knowledge, this is done very little, or not at all.

The trick for us has been to hit up sites like mpogd.com (we're in the top100 there and it yields huge dividends in traffic) and other general gaming sites. Usually when I talk about the game on those sites, I don't even mention the term "MUD," as many people immediately associate that with:
Either that or they automatically assume that a text-based game would fail to hold their attention.

A very valuable tool is some sort of semi-graphical client. These can be easily crafted in Java, Python, or other higher level scripting languages, or as plugins to existing clients like Mudmagic's. If you can come up with just a little bit of eye candy, you can start advertising on MMO sites without being questioned. To get some coverage on a mainstream gaming site, you need to blurr the definition between MU* and MMO.

Guess I went off on a ramble there, but to answer your question, yes, we've found it to work well. Good places to post stuff like this include SomethingAwful forums, Penny Arcade, MPOGD, and various RPG sites. Also, it's great to post this ad on Battletech sites. In your case, post it to any forums within your game's theme and you'll probably grab quite a few.

3D Futuristic Combat in Text - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How has text-based RP helped you IRL? Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 6 06-25-2007 02:49 PM
Futuristic MOO Seeks Skilled RolePlayers Jago Advertising for Players 0 01-15-2007 11:06 PM
The Purest PK Mud. [Futuristic][No_Mobs] Amnon Advertising for Players 0 12-10-2004 01:52 PM
Text editors for Rot 1.4 shade MUD Coding 0 10-02-2002 04:33 PM
Text Only Browser Problem Ogma Bugs and Suggestions 0 07-05-2002 12:08 AM