Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 10-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Jericho1

Jericho1 is on a distinguished road
MUDs with Grappling/Wrestling/Throws.

Well, I'm looking for a MUD with grappling/wrestling/locks/throws/etc.

Monks in Lusternia are close to what I'm looking for, but in true Lusternia fashion, like only 10% of the skills work on "denizens" (read: NPCs). So my Judo-based character immediately went sour.

Are there any MUDs out there with some sort of grappling class?

Thanks in advance.
Jericho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: MUDs with Grappling/Wrestling/Throws.

I'd be personally fairly interested in a MUD that incorporated this well as I love Brazilian jiu-jitsu. The tough part are the different states/positions you can get into with an opponent and then dealing with how to integrate those with the rest of combat.

For instance, if I'm grappling with you on the ground and have you in guard (a grappling position that has both of us on the ground), both of us would be (in any reasonable world at least) about as vulnerable as one can be to a combatant standing nearby with a weapon.

One-off throws and that kind of thing are easy, of course, but the give-and-take physical chess of grappling is a whole other matter. If you do find a game that's implemented it well I'd be super-interested in seeing it. I haven't even seen a graphical game that does grappling well, regardless of budget (mainly due to problems with the UI. Grappling is too subtle to be easily mapped to the UI tools that exist.)

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
DurNominator

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
DurNominator is on a distinguished road

Assassins in Carrion Fields are pretty much a martial artist class, so it would work roleplay or PK-wise. The class is also newbie-friendly.
DurNominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Jericho1

I see Assassins having... 2-3 throw-involved skills. It's something to consider. I really hate typical MUD-based combat, though.

Your punch MAIMs the rabbit!
Rabbit misses you!
Rabbit's bite scratches you.

D:

Any other MUDs with some semblance of grappling?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

Martial arts generically or grappling in particular? Stand-up Punching/throwing is completely different from grappling/ground-fighting/wrestling. The major difficulty is that the 'states' you get involved in necessarily involve constraining someone else into a state.

So, if you and I are fighting, for instance, and I enter into a cat stance, you're not really affected by that directly. You can still do everything you could do before regardless of whether I change my stance. In grappling, that's not the case. If I have you in the guard, you are constrained to being in my guard until you escape or until I switch to a different position like side-guard or mount. (The details of what those are aren't important, but they are each positions where two of you are on the ground struggling to either achieve better positional dominance, escape and stand up, or make the opponent submit via battering, joint locks, or chokes.)

The difficulty, to my mind, is that grappling involves lots of tiny alterations mid-move based on how your opponent is reacting. This is more or less unlike kicking and punching where you're pretty much throwing your fist/foot/shin/knee from point A to point B. If your opponent doesn't block or avoid, he gets hit. Pretty simple.

If I'm in your guard, on the other hand (meaning you are on your back, with your legs clinched around my waist as I sort of am kneeling between your legs), and try to escape by, say, peeling one of your legs off my shoulder and ducking my head under so that I'm now outside of your legs, there are at least a dozen responses you might make in the split second, and a dozen responses that I might then make to that response, etc etc.

Look around at some of the great fighting games out there (soul calibur, tekken, etc) and you'll find that none of them really involve grappling beyond the absolutely trivial level. It's just really hard to simulate with the input devices (keyboard+ mouse or console controller) we have available.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
Jericho1

...Naw, not generic martial arts. Not there are many MUDs like that. I'd kill for a MUD with a system of kyokushin or shotokan based actual karate. Instead it's mostly SPINKICKS, JUMPKICKS, SWEEPKICKS. Even Assassin on Carrion Fields has a ton of chopsocky kicks. Rising Dragon Kick! Wow. :| /sarcasm

Just a system of grappling, even if it's as simple as "Grab ____", then being able to select between Slam, Toss, Jointlock, or Knee. Doesn't matter if it's martial arts based. I'd settle for a Greek system of hipthrows or a WWE-influenced (not a fan) suplex.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough

Lands of chaos might have what you're looking for if pk isn't an issue.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Baffle

Baffle is on a distinguished road

has a strong grappling system. You can grapple unarmed, which can allow you to throw your opponent.. you can also grapple with certain weapons which, if successful, can do anything from disarm your opponent to knock them off their feet (or, in a couple of cases, choke them out... there's nothing quite as much fun as that!) Try it out -- and if you want to grapple your opponents right off the bat I suggest you pick the Brawling skill-set on your character. You won't start with a grapple, but you can learn them easily enough.
Baffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Did you ever find a mud that had this?

I think this is the type of game mechanic that a MUD would do a lot better than a graphical game. Graphical games seem to have serious problems with avatars interacting with each other (hence the lack of things like hug emotes, handshaking, etc.).
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Springyb

Springyb is on a distinguished road

The Eternal City has a Pankration skill set based off of Roman wrestling. It has a lot of grapples and uses palm and knee strikes.
Springyb is offline   Reply With Quote