Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 10-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #1
lovechiefs

lovechiefs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
Being Bored in MUDs

hello
I have been playing MUDs on and off for the past 2 years.I have tried IRE's muds,Carrion Fields, Avalon and a few others. Each time, I was enthusiastic when I started,but more time passes,less I connected. What with all of the graphical games.
I would like to ask you all about your opinions on MUD boredom.Any possible ways to get MUDs(in general)more exciting?Finding a way to do so, would attract even more players
Out of the MUDs, I have tried, the IRE muds and Carrion Fields are the less boring,but still.
Opinions please
lovechiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Being Bored in MUDs

Boredom, I have found, is a state of being for an individual and not normally respective of a MUD in general. On NW there are numerous things to do and events and solo as well as group events, adventure, religious wars and debate, politics etc, but even all these things cannot save a player that wants roleplay handed to them.

Usually the unbored, excited and successful players on NW are those that create roleplay for themselves and others. They do not wait on Admin or Staff events, or events from Guilds, Clans, Religions, or wars. They find small things to enhance it for others.

In short: play for others and not yourself and you will likely never be bored again.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Being Bored in MUDs

I find it quite interesting that you find MU*s more boring than MMO*s. The longest I played a graphical MMO was for 2 years, and I canceled three times for several months during those two years. The only thing that kept me that long was the fact that there was massive PvP on the scale of 100 v 100. It's hard to find that in a MU*. The gameplay, for most MMOs, is extremely simplistic and repetitive. Once you've mined ore, downed a raid boss, or used your same old boring heal spell for the 10,000th time, MMOs really offer very little else except for what the players might think up themselves. There are tons of graphical games where players have created more interesting content than the devs. The game turns into "Okay, let's take all our gear off and see how fast we can do this dungeon" or "Let's see what happens if we make the healer tank the whole dungeon." Talk about boredom!

In addition, I'm not sure if you're comparing the entire genre of graphical games (which includes more than just MMOs) to just two or three muds. What would be more fair is "How long did you last on LoTRO?" For me, I lasted approximately 1 month. Of course, I've lasted less than a week on some MU*s. Ultimately, I've spent more time in graphical games than on MU*s, but that's because I'm an admin on my preferred MU* and can't play it. Also, the MU* I actually spent a lot of time on shut down a few years ago and had a pwipe. Then they closed my favorite class.

Nowadays, I'm much more critical of the games I play, and I find a lot less holds my attention unless it's a game like Civ 4 or Harvest Moon. Graphics can't convince me to stay on a game since gameplay and storyline is what has always interested me in gaming. Most gaming systems, especially MMOs, don't take a lot of skill now, but they do take a lot of time. Some people, however, just love the graphics. Since I spend most of my time on MMOs playing a healer, I really don't see much more than health bars and the buttons that represent my healing spells. I find that more interesting than the graphics in most games anyway, but that's just me.

Lots of people play games and have no idea what they want from a game. Do you want progress? Do you want something pretty to look at? Do you want a ton of people to interact with? Do you want a good storyline? For everyone, a different combination of things appeals to them, but very few people sit down to figure out what they want. They have no idea why they enjoy the games they do, but you will see people slamming some game for not having some random feature that doesn't even fit into the game. A game shouldn't have EVERYTHING. It should have things that fit with the gameplay, but you see games try to do everything nowadays. They always end up with crappy systems that seem tacked on, and because players don't take the time to really understand what they like and hate in games, they will ASK for everything regardless of whether or not it fits into the world. There's a really popular game out there right now that added their crafting system on at the end without really thinking about it. The crafting system is simplistic. One click of a button, and you're done! It's only deceptively hard because of the mats (with VERY random drops) that several of the items require. How can you tell it's a bad system? The economy on EVERY one of their servers is completely borked. Except for a VERY few items, the crafted end-product sells for LESS than all the mats combined. Sometimes it sells for as much as 50% less. That's a borked up economy!

Anyway, I'm rambling. I don't think MU*s are any less or more boring than MMOs as a genre. SPECIFIC MU*s are possibly more boring than specific graphical games. The trick to ANY game is finding one that fits you personally.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

I agree, but only partly. I think Boredom is a combination of player preference and the style of the Mud they are playing.

To take a simple example, an avid Roleplayer would be bored to death in a purely hack'n'slash game, while on the other hand a player focused on combat and competition would be bored stiff in a RP enforced mud without any coded combat or other means of advancing your character apart from RP. So the first thing to do as a player is obviously to choose a Mud with a game style that suits your own preferences.

Even so, most players tire of the game after a time, which can be very short or very long, depending on what the game has to offer. Basically, the point where you get bored would be when the game no longer holds any challenges and secrets for you. This could mean a matter of days or weeks, if the game is shallow and mostly or all stock, or it could take years, if the game is a good one, with a well designed world to explore, lots of different challenges, and various things to do apart from just bashing mobs.

There is also a vast difference between RP focused Muds, and the more competitive type of games, where the main goal is to advance your character 'physically', getting as powerful as possible.

To a RP intense Mud the player base is essential, both the size and the quality. Not only is it important that there are enough other players around to roleplay with, the roleplay also has to hold a decent quality. You also need to be able to find the players that you want to roleplay with, meaning that the world shouldn't be too big, and there needs to be some obvious and frequented meeting places. Some RP Muds are very cliquish. Even if there are lots of players on line, they often stick to small groups, and roleplay only with a few chosen friends. This could make it very hard for a new player to find someone to interact with, even if they actively try, which in turn might lead to them losing interest.

Muds with at least an element of hack'n'slash are less dependent on the playerbase. You can always amuse yourself by exploring, or bashing some Mobs, even if there are few other players on line. In fact most hack'n'slash Muds can be played as a single-player game. But even so, things are a lot more interesting with other players around. It doesn't have to be hundreds of them, some people actually prefer smaller Muds, where you get to know the players better. But obviously the game gets more interesting if you have some company - someone to group with when you go hunting, someone to compete with, someone to brag to and above all someone to chat with between the killings.

The social life is extremely important in a Mud. Our players spend most of their time just hanging out in the central meting place, called Recall point, or chatting over OOC channels. Even long after they tired of actively playing the game, they log on just to chat away some time with friends. Typically players that quit years ago, suddenly turn up again, often in the middle of the night, while a bit drunk. The social ties are a lot stronger as a magnet than the game itself.

The trick to keep the player interest up as long as possible is to provide them with long- and short-term goals, and if possible with several alternate ways of reaching those goals. The most common goal is of course to become the strongest player in the game, and having PK ladders is probably a good way to keep them from getting bored. Some players have their own goals, for instance the Trouble-makers, who like to ferret out and abuse every bug in the code - or the opposite, the ones that faithfully report every bug or typo they come across. Some are natural leaders, and run Clans, others like to help new players. But even the most helpful ones eventually burn out. Perhaps it's the strain of having to answer the same stupid questions day after day. Then we have the collectors, who collect jewels, flowers, or just scalps. And of course the creative ones, who usually end up as builders.

Sometimes I wonder if players really know what they want. The funny thing is that even though most player claim that they hate hack'n'slash, (or levelling, grinding or whatever you call the repetitive acts you go through to advance your char), bashing mobs is what most players usually seem to do most of the time. I remember from my own playing says how I used to find some hack'n'slash to be a good way of unwinding after a stressful day, just because it was so repetitive. Some players keep it up for hours and hours, levelling like crazy. But of course, eventually everybody tires of the grind.

In my Mud we provide lots of other things to do, from minigames to things like farming, gardening, mining and trading, and of course above all questing and exploring. And still most of them stick to the oldfashioned mob-killing. If it weren't for the fact that most of our best equipment is gained from quests, many of them would probably not bother with them. A sure way to rekindle interest is when a new zone opens, that usually gets even the most lazy oldtimers out of Recall for a while. But the main reason for this is probably that they are hoping to find some good equipment before anryone else - or maybe a juicy bug to exploit. (New zones, however carefully you check them, usually have a few bugs).

One definite tendency I've seen is that most our players start out as hack'n'slashers, then turn into explorers/questors, then to Helpers, then to either Pkillers or Roleplayers - (or both) - and finally just squat at recall to talk to friends. The challenge that lasts the longest seems to be PK. Being the Top Dog obviously is a main goal for many.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Violette

I would like to put this on the door of my fridge.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Well Violette,

Print it, grab a magnet, and put it up.

Though I doubt you need to. You seem to be the type that finds excitement in the roleplay of others and enjoys every minute of it.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote