Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 07-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #61
Daedroth

Daedroth is on a distinguished road
Guess you forgot to mention that you are the one fanning flames now, and spouting useless drivel? Accusing people of being insane, is not something I would consider usefull discussion. You are always the first person to insult others openly, causing flames.
Daedroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #62
Daedroth

Old 07-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #63
Jeena

Jeena is on a distinguished road
This topic has digressed into a prime example of what has happened in this forum.
#1 The moderator is obviously not on the ball.

#2 Mudslinging of absent posters serves no purpose.

#3 Two posters who like to sling crap at one another should exchange email or get a room do it in private to save everyone else the pain of seeing it in public.

What is wrong with simply posting regarding MuDDing? All I heard a few weeks ago was "the mudding community this" "the mudding community that" and now you guys are ripping into each other and name calling like juveniles (are you?). You want to serve the mudding community bring your collective knowledge, information, and advice to the rest of us.
It's a huge world out there, boys and girls. Sometimes, you just have to agree to disagree. Sometimes, there is no right or wrong. And sometimes, you just have to move on to another topic...hrm, let's try something new, how about MUDS?
Jeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #64
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I'm aware. My point was that they're both spewing vitriol in this thread, and why you'd point a finger at one and not the other is beyond me.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #65
cron0s

cron0s is on a distinguished road
By now you know this thread has burst into flames, so just skip over it if that sort of thing offends you. The rest of us are enjoying the show, even if it is the usual suspects again.
cron0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #66
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I'll try this again, Valq. Obviously the Retinol hasn't worked for ya either.

KaVir posted, and involved ME in his post. Someone else posted, attempting to come to MY defense. I told the defensive person not to bother.

If Threshold, or you, or logos, or anyone else had mentioned me, specifically, my post would've included them instead. It didn't.

The rest has nothing to do with me. Until KaVir's inclusion of ME in his opinion of posters here, I had only posted twice. Once WAY back on page 1, giving my opinion on why the forum has been sparse lately. Once, a couple of days ago, about Molly.

If I feel the need to thrash Threshold for something that he does to annoy me, be confident that I will. Until then, I see no reason to thrash him.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:47 PM   #67
Daedroth

Only reason I decided to speak out against threshold and his problems is cus he quoted me in a bad manner. I usually like the you-leave-me-alone, I-leave-you-alone approach, but it doesnt always work out.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:55 AM   #68
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
My non-automated combat system that you keep making fun of requires players to learn to simultaneously control four separate body locations, utilising over five thousand combat techniques divided among dozens of fighting styles, weapons, skills and talents. Due to the object-oriented nature of the mud, every object in the game is a potential weapon with its own individual commands and techniques (which by extension means you could kill a rat by smashing it against the wall of a building).

On your mud, players type "attack" to initiate the same, tired, automated combat system that has been around for the last 15+ years.

My game world is approximately four times the circumference of the earth, using a true coordinate-based movement system which measures distances to the nearest foot and calculates each player's movement speed based on their attributes. The world supports weather patterns, seasons, rivers that flow from springs out to the ocean, tides that rise and fall, and reasonably accurate line-of-sight. Descriptions are fully dynamic and generated on-the-fly, the world supports multiple planes (which will eventually allow for four-dimensional movement). The same system also allows each player to design their own small world.

Your mud uses the same tired room-based model with static descriptions that has been around for decades.

I could go on, but I think you get my point; your mud is an archaic piece of junk with less innovation than many stock muds. And despite what you keep claiming, I don't feel 'personal glee' at your lack of innovation, only pity, and a certain amount of amazement that you would even consider throwing stones in your little glass house. I guess that's what happens when a law-school drop-out tries to make a living by building a game on someone else's work.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 AM   #69
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
Quoted for truth.

Honestly, the constant back and forths of 'You're ruining the forums', 'No, you're ruining the forums' are stupid. I quite like the forum, myself.

Its becoming the 'YUOR MOM' of the forums. People just tote it out when they're losing an argument.

H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #70
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Exclamation

Unfortunately, the Tavern of the Blue Hand wasn't really designed for heavy moderation.

My counter-recommendation to everyone who's fed up with this thread goes like this:

1) Quit reading it.
2) Quit posting in it.
3) Go to the other forum sections and either contribute to existing threads or stir up new ones (like Fifi did in the Roleplaying section).

Cut off this critter's oxygen and it'll fade away.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #71
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
My counter-counter-recommendation would be either to nix the Tavern of the Blue Hand, or just make it so it doesn't show up in the "Recent Discussions" queue. It's the default forum for posts that have nothing to do with MUDs-- off-topic posts, posts about a person rather than MUDs, posts about other posts, etc.

Finally, there's nothing about this forum that would prevent a moderator from nixing off-topic personal attacks, like the Threshold-vs-KaVir dickwaving trainwreck above. If you don't want threads to devolve into "My awesome game is better than your pathetic game! Look at me, everyone!" high-noon showdowns... just do what they do on other moderated forums. Nuke the posts, give repeat offenders a few days off from posting privileges, and move on.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:46 PM   #72
GuruPlayer

GuruPlayer is on a distinguished road
Don't hold your breath waiting for Synozzer to moderate anything on these forums, let alone posters who pay for advertising like Threshhold and the_logos. He knows which side of his bread is buttered.

This forum reminds me of a haunted house forum for the professional haunted house community that is dying a slow death due to zero moderation. Flame wars were rampant between a handful of posters, & finally someone from the community opened a website with a highly moderated forum, & the serious professionals switched to that site almost en masse. Now the only posters on the old site are those same tired flamers & newbies. This website seems to be following that same path...
GuruPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #73
cron0s

Yeah, let's all keep bumping it with 'Don't post and it'll die down' posts.... that'll do the trick I'm sure. /sarcasm off.

Besides, I am excitedly awaiting Threshold's reply. I notice he ducked the issue of him violating the MudOS license again, so I am wondering if the law school drop out remark will get a rise out of him this time. I did find his pastiche of KaVir's combat system amusing, although there are certainly other areas where he is more vulnerable to attack.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:25 AM   #74
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Somehow, I know the wiser course of action is to ignore this, but I cannot resist HOPING that answering this question one more time will be the end of it.

Duck it "again"? I have answered this question a million times. Look it up on usenet, for crying out loud. I use an older, GPLed version of MudOS. As an interesting aside, the current maintainers of the MudOS project have actually tried to get the CURRENT version (which I do not use) GPLed as well: "An attempt was made several years ago to get the major contributors to sign-off on changing the license to GPL, but in the end, nothing could be done because not all of these people could be reached." (). By the way, if you visit that site, I am not the person the maintainer is talking about regarding a bogus "Mudos 1.0" release. I do not maintain, work on, or distribute MudOS in any way. I use a very old version that has always been stable for me, and was GPLed.

Would it be possible for the trolls here to stop insisting that I answer this same question every time I express an opinion on this forum? If anything hurts this forum, it is the chilling effect of trolls who make such defamatory accusations under the cloak of anonymity, lobbed at any non-anonymous person who dares express an opinion.

The funny thing about KaVir and his intellectual dishonesty is that 5+ years ago he was one of the people who helped me find additional supporting documentation that my version of MudOS was GPLed (he even helped me track down some comments from Lars regarding his IP that is in MudOS). But now that I am on his bad list for not signing on to every single one of his crusades, it is a whole different story from him.

Please be aware folks, that MudOS is not like DIKU. MudOS is not a mudlib nor is it a game source. To quote Wikipedia: "MudOS is an LPMud driver that serves as a virtual machine for MudOS' variant of the LPC programming language. MudOS was originally created in 1992 using the LPMud 3.x driver as a foundation. It introduced a BSD-style socket API and focused on the philosophy of removing any "game-level" elements from the driver."

As for his comment about a mud I won't name, they stole *my* code, not vice versa, and he knows it. KaVir was quite sympathetic at the time. But again, since that no longer serves his purposes, he changes his stance.

Such hypocrisy just demeans and embarasses him further.

This is my FINAL ANSWER on this topic. In the future, any clueless troll who belches forth this crap will be told to search the forum and/or usenet for his answer.

I graduated from UGA law school in 1998. Call them and verify, if you must satisfy your obsession with my personal life. Saying I dropped out of law school when I actually graduated is libel. You should really be careful.

Two strikes. Don't strike out...

Nice recovery. Base hit.

I had deliberately stopped posting in this thread because a number of folks seemed to think the Threshold v. KaVir portion was annoying. But unfortunately, your personal attacks were so incredibly false and defamatory I had to defend myself.

I am trying to do my part to let the thread die. I can ignore a lot of personal attacks, but some are so heinous they must be responded to.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #75
cron0s

That's a shame, as I found it rather amusing. I don't think there's anything wrong with the odd flame thread, particularly when you have two knowledgable and articulate adversaries. It can certainly provide some comic relief, and occasionally something more insightful.

What happened to the forum? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Forum Do You Use Fern MUD Administration 7 04-17-2006 08:38 PM
What happened to GodwarsII? erdos Tavern of the Blue Hand 1 12-14-2003 05:22 PM
pk forum again Shao_Long Bugs and Suggestions 30 06-11-2003 09:17 AM
What has happened? Ishamael Tavern of the Blue Hand 5 11-05-2002 03:10 PM
New to the Forum SheWhoHasNoName Introduce Yourself 0 07-20-2002 03:55 PM