Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Iza

Iza is on a distinguished road
Two people looking for a Game

Hi,

I need some advice.

I'm looking for a fun relaxing game to enjoy with a longtime friend. We are both experienced roleplayers, I myself playing Armageddon Mud from time to time and they themselves enjoying Mush type games.

I myself am an achiever and ploter who enjoys tactics, exploring and even developing skill sets when there is nothing interesting to RP . They are more focused on social aspects of the game and have little interest in things like combat or fighting mechanics. I'm hoping to get them to try a little adventuring with me though....maybe even some PvP (i'm a fan of godwars2 after all).

In truth Armageddon Mud would be a perfect Mud however we want to play with each other, and one of us dying or getting killed early on would make it pointless for the other to continue. If we wanted to simply play with others we would do so on our own after all, not that we don't want to play with others but we want to ensure we can always play together. Also having played there recently, certain policy changes made me not have as much fun as i used to in the past so i'm looking for something else.

An RPE mud perhaps? I hate the idea of needing to make OOC friends to advance in anything IC though, hoping to avoid games like that.

I enjoy using code to re-enforce realism and having large worlds to explore which is why i'm leaning towards Muds and not yet searching for mushes, also i never liked how some mushes forced my character to think or feel a certain way through ooc roll of dices.

They aren't interested in Sci-fi at all so it needs to be a fantasy game of some sort.

These features are almost a must:

Housing or apartments (we need our own private room!)
Decent playerbase (40-50+ at peak)
Mature Roleplaying environment (Deep plots! And Politics!)
Great Emoting system ( I do love Armageddon emoting)

These features would be really great:

Large world to explore.
Crafting.
Economics
PvP
The ability to actually RP someone or something evil without having everyone in the Mud trying to kill you.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by Iza : 04-12-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Iza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Iza

Re: Two people looking for a Game

I think i posted in the wrong place.

If so please move. Thanks and sorry for the mistake.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

You're going to get the standard list over the next few days, so I'll just post my few I'd try if I were looking:

1. New Words Ateraan () is a decent roleplaying scene, without permanent death. Private housing exists, but if I recall, it's pretty expensive and tough to get. It would be awhile before you and your friend did so. The playerbase normally exceeds the 40-50 range you're looking for, and generally, it's a pretty mature environment with most of the playerbase dedicated to roleplaying. The emote system is pretty plain and standard, but the people there make it work. The world is decent sized, but I wouldn't call it large compared to some of the muds out there. Crafting is generally restricted to two of the character classes, and it's not a very detailed system, and the economy is fairly standard: kill for money, spend money, repeat. PvP exists, but it's not too common. Generally, people who RP being sinister and evil don't do well, but that's just plain realistic. People who RP aren't going to stand aside and passively encourage inconvenient and evil people, just because they want to foster unique and interesting characters on an OOC level. That would be breaking character.

2. This kind of new RPI mud, Echoes of Alibion, (echoesofalbion.net) has been getting some good buzz. It's really small still, though. "Private" housing exists to the extent that you can gather materials and build yourself a house, but it's not technically private in that people can barge in if they really want to ignore the RP ramifications in doing so. The playerbase probably falls in the 5-20 range. The emote system is extremely awesome and well coded. The world is pretty small but they're working on it, and it's not tough finding things to do just in the small number of areas they currently have. Crafting is massively complex, and there are a whole bunch of skills for making things, with a huge mess of raw materials that have to be collected or made. The economy is pretty nonexistent. The game needs more players before things really start to have a value. PvP exists, but it's an RP system rather than a traditional PvP combat system. Antagonist characters generally get a lot of crap for being inconvenient, but again, that's realistic. Artificially tolerating antagonists because you want to keep the game interesting on an OOC level just leads to a bunch of stupid antagonists that aren't bright enough to fit in the existing system. A good RP scene weeds out stupid evil people to make room for the smart ones.

3. A lot of people are trying out Isles of Aedin now. () It's kind of an RPA/RPE mud in the small, 10-20 player range right now. No real crafting, not much of an established economy, only a basic emote system, and I don't think private housing exists yet. But the playerbase RPs and seems pretty accepting of RP antagonism. Half the people there are rogues, who have skills that let them run around disguised and hidden most of the time, doing whatever suits them.

4. You really might consider sticking with Armageddon, if you like so many things about it, and just, you know, don't die. It's a pretty ferocious world, and the playerbase can sometimes be pretty ferocious, too, but people aren't running around killing and griefing just because. If you and your friend keep things reasonable, you shouldn't end up dead early on.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Iza

Wow, Thanks snowtroll.

You basically saved me a lot of time there, i really appreciate your post.

I have been thinking of Armageddon Mud, they have a lot of things i enjoy but its exhausting. Right now i feel like you just don't log in Armageddon and enjoy yourself. You have to put some real effort in making the game fun, which is quite a change to what it was like in the past where a lot of times fun just fell on your lap. For me in order to do this, you need to stand out, make plots of your own and be an enjoyable character people want to be around. The reward for managing to achieve this however is often a quick death. As much as people like you, a lot more will simply want to see you drop dead for whatever reason. This isn't really a bad thing mind you.

To me, Armageddon has never really a casual relaxing game you can play with a friend. If you don't put effort in to get involved or make your own plots, you will live a nice long life in what will feel like a tedious and slow moving world. I don't really have the energy to make characters that are enjoyable to me in Armageddon right now. Some days i have a lot of time, other days i have less time, depending on work. My friend is in a similar situation. We also have another hobby we share and enjoy but some days we'd enjoy a change and RP somewhere new. I wanted to find a world with major fun things going on that we could get involved in or at least watch as the story unfolded from the comfort of the sidelines, maybe do some light exploring or adventuring on the side.

Thanks again for the reply Snowtroll, I'll take a look at some of those suggestions, though player housing/rent is really something i'm looking for. If anyone has anymore suggestions, even mushes with a healthy dose of code please let me know.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Iza

Double post.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

I dont know what happened but this just ate my message. If this is a duplicate then I am sorry in advance.

We have up to 30+ people during peak hours but usually somewhere around 20ish.

The emote system was just redone to allow for freehand emotes (I dont know the correct term) basically you just type emote <message>. For example, emote leans down and picks up a copper coin. This would show up to others as, IZDemon leans down and picks up a copper coin.

We also have open ended emotes such as gaze. You can simply type gaze and it will show as IZDemon gazes but you can add flavor by typing anything you want after the word gaze. For example, gaze down at the floor and spots a copper coin, this would look like, IZDemon gazes down at the floor and spots a copper coin. These open ended emotes we have always had but the freehand emotes are fairly new.

Also just added is the ability to own rooms. I'm not sure on the details of this yet as it is brand new. Just implemented in the lastest patch. We are RP enforced and we do allow PvP. Crafting is in the works but not yet here.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hi there Iza,
I'll try to give you some responses and reasons why to try New Worlds Ateraan.
While definately not a MUSH, NWA is intensively roleplay enforced in a way that is both exciting and enjoyable, without the fear of roleplay elitists. Meaning that the strong backstory (the game is based on a book) and the political, social, and religious system give it an epic feel and look.

You will find all of these aspects in NWA. Tactics, Combat, Skill Development, and intense PVP, while also carrying the full gambit of social interaction, political intrique, and religious decorum.

You will find resurrection and permadeath in NWA, however, permadeath is rare if you start in the North and for full good roleplay reasons. I would advise both of you starting together in the North for your first characters to get a full feel for the interaction in the game.

That's what we are.

You have the creation system and a whole gambit of choices with your direction through your roleplay style and the choices you make to influence how others perceive you.

NWA is high end epic fantasy.

You have both personal cottages, houses, mansions, even castles that your character can buy. You can also rent tents, cottages and inns for private use. There are clans with clan halls and private rooms. And....the best shipping in the world. You can own a small skiff for fishing, to a yacht and deep sea fish, to a sloop for whaling, or a large war galley with multiple powerful weapons for battling others or pirates on the high seas and to get you to a multitude of islands.

You will have over 100 constantly. Normally 150 to 200 in the evenings.

Yes, yes and yes. You must be 18+ to play here. The plots are deep and incredible and the politics fearce. However, your enjoyment will be based on your involvement.

There are standard built in emotes, with personally creatable pmotes, omotes, rstatus, ostatus, and other ways to show your position and character. It is significantly different than the complex system of Armegeddon, but most roleplayers on NWA wioll argue the system is much better for the environment you are in. While it is possible to pose for with a long emote or interact with long poses, when you are in a room of 80 players (like at the tournament last Sunday), such things are impossible and improbable.
NWA can be fast paced in some areas and slow down to be more articulate in others. The beauty is the ability to have both.

NWA has two major continents with two cities to start in. Numerous other nations and cities with oceans, islands, mountains, caves, and so many secrets you will never find them all.

NWA has two guilds specifically built for roleplay and crafting. One is the Merchants who run alot of the economy in the Kingdom (one area you can start). But this doesn't limit you to your own ability to fish, crab, whale, hunt, farm, etc. Be aware though, most crafting is done by these two guilds which make the game that much more consistant as these guilds require quality tests in creation to get in.

Definately.

Yes, however pking a character requires a roleplay reason and background. We don't have morons running around killing another player just because they can. You must have roleplay involvement and reasons. Just tonight a player had an indepth roleplayed pk that is turning half the game into a gambit of excitement.

There are many ways to do this including a religion of darkness. Many roleplay evil and many good, and everything in between. There are groups for all of this.
I truly hope you and your friend give the game a try. And please start in the North and ask for a tour when you finish creation. You will get much more out of it as one or two players will take you around in a roleplaying way to show you the city you start in.
We'll be waiting for you, Good Luck!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
Turxx

Turxx is on a distinguished road

Torilmud.org

ive tried a couple dozen muds, including the top rated on this site and also played wow for a while

none hold a candle to toril
Turxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road

Shadows of Isildur can have what you're looking for, as long as you don't mind LotR. Crafting and mob-fighting during the downtime, and decent enough rp at other times.
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote