Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 05-28-2002, 05:49 AM   #1
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
If you have a coding/building concept you want to develop and need an advanced coder to assist with the enable, how the heck do you find one without giving away the idea to every Tom, Dick and Sally in the world?

I have a Circle one that would revolutionize the battle interplay between high level mort and NPC and I certainly don't want it to become public property, yet. Our coder has RL issues he's dealing with so doesn't have the time.

I've been working this thing for almost 5 years now and I'm really desperate so I need some advice as to how get assistance.

Iluvatar
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 06:29 AM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Patenting a mud concept isn't really viable due to the expense, but you could get potential staff members to sign an NDA if you were really that concerned.

Personally I'm not really too worried - the idea is going to be made publically available sooner or later anyway, and if other people have the skill to implement it, why shouldn't they? As I'm sure you've heard many times before, there aren't really any original ideas any more, just new spins on old ones.

Besides, if the idea is particularly difficult to implement then people are unlikely to duplicate it anyway - those with the ability to do so usually have their own ideas which they are working on.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:19 AM   #3
hoop

hoop is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I think KaVir's idea is a good one, but I wouldn't force anyone to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, especially not for a mud.

I would probably try to seek out a coder that either you knew from elsewhere, or that someone else on your immortal staff knows - and can TRUST. On top of the trust, someone that has the same ideas and concepts as most of your current staff - to avoid problems and skirmishes.

Its tough to do this though, but try asking your players, and your current IMM staff to see if any of them have coding backgrounds - or know of someone who does. Its possible that others can help you to flush out the idea a bit further - those already among your staff.

And if you tell them its TOP SECRET - maybe that'll help? Maybe?

Hoop
hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
TG_Nek

Angry

Well, another thing to think about is if you've been planning
this thing for five years - whats another half year to year?

Grab a book on C or C++ and dig into it yourself. If you're
really desparate, that might be your best option. That way
you know it'll get done the way you want without
interference or potential violated trust issues.

Sure it might be work - but hey, thats what admins are
supposed to do, no?
Old 05-29-2002, 05:01 AM   #5
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 04:03 AM   #6
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with the 'go public' suggestion. If the concept is really that good, people will show up to help you build it. If not, at least someone else might create a version of it. Write a good looking 'white paper' or something about it to make it clear you originated it to everyone who sees it.

If it is really good, you should give it to the world, and if it is somewhere in the middle between that and just interesting, you still might get the people you need to help.

You should realize people come along every week with a 'revolutionary' idea, and 99% of them are just retreads of smelly old ideas. No insult intended, you may indeed have something worth shouting about and since I do not know I am giving you the FULL benefit of the doubt here.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:55 PM   #7
mhc

mhc is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with TG_Nek. Your better off doing it by yourself if you have a problem trusting the ideas to others. You might even learn something while making your dreams come true.
mhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 06:04 PM   #8
Dre

Dre is on a distinguished road
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote