Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 07-22-2002, 03:03 AM   #21
thelenian

thelenian is on a distinguished road
That's only if you can catch him, identify him, and prove that a crime was committed. You have to provide motive, and you'll need witnesses. Without controls like these, a criminal could just as easily claim that you stole whatever it is that he wanted and have the cops "bust" your face in.
thelenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 04:30 AM   #22
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
Looking at everything said so far...

Is everyone here in agreement that they would like a social system implemented into their games that mirrors any social system ever seen on this planet? The fact is, in an American culture it would be very taboo to do certain things, while completely acceptable to do certain other things. We frown upon and even are angered towards theft, but it's not a big deal. We're horrified by rape, we think making "passes" at women is basically acceptable anywhere but the work place, and we don't mind displaying fabulous sums of wealth in places where there are less fortunate people than us.

All of these things Americans take for granted as true, but is that really how you want to have your mud run as well? And even if you want it to be that way, are your players going to care? I think not.

The internet is a great place to explore oneself simply because it has no boundaries. MUDs are anonymous, and being so, allow a person to go to the depths of moral depravity, and the upper limits of their kindness, love, and generosity, all with almost complete impunity. I WILL kill your character for his/her eq and think nothing of it, because I can. It's that simple. If you send Hassan with a badass scimitar after me and I kill him, then I'm still in the races.

I've seen a lot of posts in the last few months that have focused on the "stupidity" or "nastiness" of pk, CvC, or whatever else you want to call the "bad boy" game play that happens everywhere. Get over it. People want to do that, and they exist everywhere except places that spend an inordinate amount of time keeping them out. If you want to implement and enforce rules, do it with code and as little admin intervention as possible.

People can't argue with the game. They can, however, argue with an individual. If you want to enforce RP as part of CvC/PK, then have wizi'ed admins lying around who sic Hassan and the city guards onto characters who don't explicitly RP their way into a battle and yet manage to end up with someone's corpse and a ton of eq.

The question here isn't why people do this, or what admins should be trying to coddle players into. The question is do you as an admin care that this happens, and if you do, do you have the ability to come up with intelligent, logical ideas that can be implemented into the game with very little difference than before, and yet finally keep the players where they need to be as far as RP and PK.

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote

Of playerkilling, equipment, and roleplay. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PlayerKilling jMengele Advertising for Players 1 12-10-2005 02:42 PM
Free Avatar/Equipment/20,000,000 gold coins. Greetmir Advertising for Players 0 01-09-2005 11:44 PM
A story about playerkilling mikosevaar Roleplaying and Storytelling 0 09-29-2004 04:25 AM
Equipment Saves Eagleon MUD Coding 15 04-04-2003 10:53 AM
Great equipment: menace or saviour? nass Advanced MUD Concepts 15 06-17-2002 08:08 PM