Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Now on Facebook: Gamers in the OtherVerse!

We've started a new group on Facebook called Gamers in the OtherVerse for new and old players of OtherSpace, Chiaroscuro, and Necromundus to connect.

If you'd like to join, just follow this link:
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Now on Facebook: Gamers in the OtherVerse!

Nice to see I'm not the only one who has used Facebook for this purpose. Though I created the group in 2006, we've used it very little since we're not really open. Nevertheless, I think it's a good way of introducing MUDs to a larger audience.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

I don't think just establishing a group is going to do much to expose a game to a wider audience as it's mainly a passive thing and won't get shoved in front of people's faces much. People see it in a mini-feed when someone joins a group, and of course you can see what groups someone is in, but they are usually in a lot of groups so the exposure for an individual group on that list is pretty minor.

I asked Jeremy Saunders (Iron Realms's President these days) to make a post on TMS briefly explaining what Iron Realms has done to try and gain increased exposure beyond just creating a group, so I won't bother to explain it here beyond saying that it's a simple Facebook application that updates your mini-feed with events from in-game (such as gaining a level, winning a free-for-all, etc).
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody

Well, not for nothing, but according to my latest Google Analytics stats, we're getting more interest via Facebook in the past couple of weeks than we have from Top MUD Sites and The MUD Connector *combined*. So, I'm not going to be too quick to knock the potential of Facebook for reaching new blood. (Naturally, the real test is whether the interest via Facebook converts into new players - TMS and TMC still bring those to us just fine.)
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
nass

nass is on a distinguished road

Yeah - that's what I've found with facebook referrals - the conversion rate tends to be quite low. Kind of understandible because you tend to be preaching to the "unconverted", so you have to get over that initial "huh, a text game?" barrier, which always causes dropoff. Still, if it brings new punters through the door, I wouldn't knock it
nass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

Can you quantify those numbers? (so you don't think I'm asking for numbers without giving them, we've currently got 132 characters in Achaea's db that arrived from Topmudsites in the last month...however, since we nuke people after a few days who log in and quickly leave, it's likely more than that. It's a bit higher from Mudconnector, but we spend a lot more there than here).

I'm not saying, incidentally that Facebook groups won't bring users. It's so cheap/low effort to create groups that you may as well. I'm just suggesting that creating a group is maybe not, in and of itself, the best way to attract people from FB.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
nass

nass is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to comment on this, because it sorts of backs up the analytics I've got set up on my site. I have GA running in a very complex manner to analyse what works and what doesn't, which creates a "weight" per visit per site. TMC sits at 4.6 and TMS at 1.53 - bottom line being you're more likely to get a conversion from any individual visit from TMC than TMS. Which sort of backs up your spend.

On the other hand my stats will be skewed because I've only just put a link back up for TMS. I was previously convinced that the goal conversion for TMS was too low for it to be worth the hassle and although I suspect I was mistaken, it maybe that TMS has reached a bit of a saturation point, being more about converted users rather than unconverted. But I don't actually really know - I'll just assess the metrics once we've been near to or above the homepage fold for a while.

Fwiw, Facebook actually sits at 1.50. FB sends us diddlysquat - I havent really tried anything with FB for the MUD site I run.

Last edited by nass : 03-25-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: clarity
nass is offline   Reply With Quote