Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 08-30-2002, 09:02 AM   #1
Neranz Laverani

Neranz Laverani is on a distinguished road
"There's no workman, whatsoever he be, that may both work well and hastily."
- Chaucer (c. 1343 - 1400)

It takes longer to build an area well.

How can you tell the difference between someone who is taking their time to do it right and slacking off?

Neranz Laverani, Seeker of Knowledge
Neranz Laverani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 09:48 AM   #2
Illiandra

Illiandra is on a distinguished road
Wander through their area when they aren't around to see what they have done.

Talk to them about their area, see if they know it well.

Watch them when they are logged on. Log them for a day or two. See if they are productive when they are there.

Be blunt. Ask them.
Illiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:30 AM   #3
Brianna

Brianna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Brianna Send a message via MSN to Brianna Send a message via Yahoo to Brianna
I agree with Illiandra.

Take a few minutes every few days or once a week to walk through the area they are building. What I look for is progress even if its only a room or two or a couple mobiles.

When time and schedules permit I spend a few minutes talking to the builder when we both are online, especially if I have seen no progress and they have spent hours of time online. I ask if they are stuck and offer to help with suggestions or guidance.

We, at one time, put in a deadline because most of our staff was spending more time goofing off than getting stuff done. I have since taken that deadline out as the people we have want to work. I don't forbid a little goofing off but when that is taking more time than the work something needs to be done.

I realize that we all have lifes outside of these highly addictive game worlds so I think talking to the person if you are not seeing anythng getting done is the best route to go.

Just my opinion and way of doing things.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 08:02 PM   #4
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
I tend to wander through the areas as they're being worked on, to see what kinds of progress are being made. I usually do this after the imm as logged off, so they don't feel that I'm breathing down their neck. If they're not making progress, or their progress consistes of 1 empty room in the last two weeks, I try to be subtle. My fiancee or I will ask them how they're area is going, if they need any help, do they have a projected date to be done with it, etc etc. Sometimes it helps, they'll work more on the area.

Usually it doesn't help though, and that's when I use a note system. I require all builders to write me a note with an update on their area, about how done they feel they are, any problems they've en****ered, and a finish date that's as accurate as they can give me. If they don't write me a note, I pull their security until they do.

Usually by the time I've resorted to getting a note from them, I've pretty much figured out they're not going to build. Pulling their security does nothing really, but if they're at the point they can't even write a note, I usually tell them it's not working and fire them.

Right now I have a guy who's been an imm for 2.5 months who's not building. He has a 60 room area and has 12 rooms done, 8 of those with the same description. He sent me a note saying it'll take another 4 months to get the area done. I'm patient, but 6 months to do 60 rooms is not acceptable to me, especially when this guy logs 5 hours a week on the mud, although most of it is idling. This to me is most definitly slacking off, the room descriptions are the bare minimum, which tells me he's not investing lots of time to do it right.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 03:38 PM   #5
TG_Hammar

TG_Hammar is on a distinguished road
Definetly wander through the area. Concentrate on things like identical copy/pasted room desc, multiple identical mobs and objs, lame room & obj names that do not fit the theme of the MUD (ie. Backstreet Boys Boulevard and Britney Spears Lane or a mob named Captain Picard(on a Wheel of Time MUD)...and yes I have seen this done). It will also do well to scan through the obj just a minute and see if they spend most of their time building ultra-powerful weapons hidden in secret spots only they can find...this is another all too common problem with unreliable builders.

Expect the worst until they prove otherwise. Older and respected builders do not need to be watched as closely.
TG_Hammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 04:28 AM   #7
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:52 PM   #8
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
Molly, I think the promary difference between the way you (and people like you) build, and a lot of builders that claim to do it, is that you probably could show your work. Even if you're just written it down on paper, I would guess that within 20 minutes you could prepare something that you could mail off to an imp that would show you're working on your area. If you have descriptions in Wordpad, you could copy and paste a few of them as examples and mail it off.

That's a lot different than the person who tells me (or anyone else) that they have the whole area laid out on paper, and are working on the descriptions, but the descriptiosn are all on paper and they don't have time to put them on the computer right now. I don't buy that excuse after the first time. Heck, I've encoutnered people who claim to have the whole area liad out and are working on the descriptions, but they don't have a final room count.

I know there's a lot of impatient admins out there, and I'm sure they've lost decent builders because of their impatience. I do think that builders are also responsable for proving they're doing work. There's only so many times an admin can take "I swear I'm working on my area offline" with no evidence before they start to wonder. I've recived all kinds of things from builders, scans of their papers, offline area editor files with the skeleton of an area, graphics, a page of descriptions, etc etc. I appreciate these things, because it lets me know that the people sending them to me are actually working on things.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:51 AM   #9
Dre

Dre is on a distinguished road
Heya all,

Ok I'm a 'newbie' builder, but what's wrong with someone taking longer to build an area? And what do your builders do? Do they get orders from the head builder to make an area or do they just think of it themselves? And do they gain special rights when they get accepted as a builder?

Reason I'm asking is cause I'm working on an area, not a big one 90 rooms, but I have been working on it for some time now. I would be someone who is slacking off I suppose, but just because I don't have time to build, this is no problem however on the mud where I play. The area coordinator won't ask me what I'm doing on when I'm finally gonna finish it. I'll just work on it when time permits. And it will be done eventually (prolly even this year)

By the way, I don't gain anything from being a builder, I just want to help the mud with new places and to expand it even more.

Greetings Dre
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:31 AM   #10
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Sure I could, Smadronia. But I am not 100% sure that I would.
If I had had a very bad day, if you put the request in the wrong way, or if we had had a fallout before, I just MIGHT be so tiffed because you doubted my integrity, that I'd decide to just leave and offer my services elsewhere.

I can be terribly stuffy when someone questions my professional competence... Yeah, I know, it's awful, ain't it? *snicker*

But all kidding apart, I am totally aware of the problem. A majority of the people who call themselves Builders are not worthy of the title. They lack the interest, imagination, verbal skills, endurance and determination for the profession. They just CLAIM to be Builders for reasons of their own - (mostly a desire for power) - and they give the real Builders a bad name in the community.

Over the years I've seen too many non-builders come and go in our Buildport, and it has left me jaded. I used to be a very ambitious and active Head Builder, I used to tutor new Builders, answer endless building questions, discuss ideas and designs for the zones, and all in all participate in everything. But over the years I have come to realise that about 90% of the efforts I spent was just a waste of my own time. I'd teach someone to use OLC, and they'd leave as soon as they learnt how, to build somewhere else, (probably on their 'own' mud). I'd discuss zone ideas with promising Builders, offer input, ideas and advice, or just patiently listen while they outlined their extensive plans. And the next week they'd be gone, without an excuse, an explanation or even a goodbye.

In the end I realised, that it was just a huge waste of my time. So I don't do it any more. I provide good building manuals, I've even put helpfiles on line for all the OLC commands. If people are motivated enough to read those documents, they get along fine. If not - well, tutoring them personally would most likely not have made any difference. If they cannot put up the effort to read through a manual, they most likely will never finish a zone either.

I naturally look at zones if people ASK me to, I still lend a hand in solving tricky problems, they can e-mail me questions at any time, and I answer them as quickly as I can. But that's that. I let my very competent Head Builders run the day-to-day work on the Buildport, and rarely visit it myself, I do all my own building off-line. And my time is much too valuable to be wasted on non-builders.

Like Davairus so wisely put it:

Molly is offline   Reply With Quote

Area Building Times - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medieval Times looking for a coder! SirTank Advertising for Staff 0 11-09-2005 08:14 PM
Advanced Building - Area Development Rundvelt MUD Builders and Areas 20 09-16-2004 07:18 PM
New Article: Building Your First Area imported_Synozeer MUD Announcements 0 01-20-2003 10:10 AM
Sivad: Get with the Times Blackstone Advertising for Players 0 11-07-2002 12:44 PM
Area-building priorities erdos MUD Builders and Areas 8 09-17-2002 01:58 PM