Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 12-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Jezreel

Jezreel is on a distinguished road
Mud: Aturion.com Port: 3333

Hey Gang,
   I've been mudding ever since mudding started. Yea I am an oldbie but I never grew up. I play a mud that is the most stable mud you have ever played.
It has been around forever. The mud is very newbie friendly. There is an overhead map that is very unique.. I have yet to see any other mud offer that.
The text flows across the screen with a rythem that is calming as well so it isn't a constant text dump to your mud client. No lag either! Solo playing is still VERY fun.However, exping in groups rocks as well with bonuses for doing so. This is a PK mud but the map is large enough for you to stay out of sight and out of mind if you would like to. There are several races, professions, sects, and guilds. The mud is very well balanced in every way.

The port changed a couple years ago and I believe the userbase didn't get the updated port. The administration after years of hard work now tend to real life issues so there is not a great deal of admin involvement which in my opinion is really nice. Admins in general on other muds always ended up screwing up a good mud by cheating. Not the case at all with this Mud. They have the mud balanced and stable. They have a quest mob in each home city.. so there is not a need for them to be online anyways.

With the port changing people login and see an empty who list, then leave.
Actually, there are about 2 dozen of us that play actively and I would like to encourage you to visit it so we can grow our who lists.

I play a Human (Good). I go by Jezreel and play a good bit during the week.
Login and I will hook you up with some nice starter equipment.

If you play an Aturion (evil). There are several aturions that will login from time to time that will help you with equipment as well.

I look forward to seeing you. If you login to an empty "who list", do not get discouraged. We all login together from time to time using AIM. We will get your screen name when you login.

Thanks for giving it a try!

Jezreel

Mud: Aturion.com Port:3333
Jezreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
You've seriously been playing MUDs since 1980 or thereabouts? If so, kudos: That's impressive.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:03 AM   #4
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
I'm guessing the poster, while well-intentioned, isn't that experienced with the variety and history of MUDs.  For example, they mention the "unique" overhead mapping.  It's not really unique as I've probably seen over a dozen MUDs with similar features, the vast majority far better-looking.  And this one's mapping system doesn't even work that well.  And their claim of stable was hardly accurate.  The game crashed every 10 minutes, without any real traffic (just me) on it.

But that's not to suggest that the poster meant to be deliberately misleading.  We all tend to view the world from our own perspective.  If one hasn't heard/seen something before, they might well believe they "discovered" it at its inception, rather than stumbled across a later edition of a well-established phenomena.

*shrug*

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:22 AM   #5
Anitra

Anitra is on a distinguished road
Anitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Fishy

Fishy is on a distinguished road
Aye Anitra but there is a difference whether you "use definites" in your posting...
Good:  This is simply the best and most amazing I've come across during my 20 years of mudding.
---Writing from my own experience here...Telling you what >I< think.

Bad: This is simply the best and most amazing mud.
Worse:  This is definitely the best of the best and singlehandedly the most amazing mud there is.
---Telling you what the reality is. (Implying you're in the wrong if you do not agree)

But then again:  This MUD is the "creme de la creme", simply put: a wonder among muds.
---This would **** less people of I guess (it's kind of a half definitive statement? And what I personally try(fail) to use).

Then again, please remember that for some of us english is niether our first nor our second language...

Thanks for taking the time to read through a young fools ramblings.
Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Comments about having "been mudding ever since mudding started" and that the mud "has been around forever" can be generally dismissed as a newbie's exaggerated enthusiasm, as can the comments about the overhead map.

Claims that the mud "is the most stable mud you have ever played" is more likely to provoke response, particularly when it's crashing every 10 minutes with only a single player.

But for me, the thing that really sends out warning signals is "The administration after years of hard work now tend to real life issues so there is not a great deal of admin involvement..." - I translate that as: The admin have lost interest in the mud and left it to stagnate.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
I saw a similar post on Mud Magic, and since I was a bit bored at the time I logged in anc checked it out.

I have played about 2 hours so far, and no crashes, it has been stable.

It is a nice game, but like so many it has some good things and a few sloppy ones. It is the kind of game that looks like it had a lot of attention from a small group of Immortals for a while but they never really finished the job.

Many vital help docs are blank, and a few very obvious mistakes never got fixed. My personal favorite is the little dog you see a lot in the main town. The first line of the description says something like 'A little witch that runs around and gives out gifts' and the remaining lines describe a small dog.

I was impressed, as I always am, by the loyality and passion the original poster expressed. Since I usually create games it is always nice to see a player who really loves the game they play.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
Anitra

Anitra is on a distinguished road
Anitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #10
Jezreel

Jezreel is on a distinguished road
Wow. I had one of the newbie players tell me that there were several replies on here so I checked back in.

As far as the mud crashing several times every 10 minutes.. I find it hard to believe that you were on the same mud WITH THE EXCEPTION of a specific hour the other day where another mud on the same server was screwing with other muds sharing the server. If that was the hour you were playing you should play the lottery because that was once in a blue moon. Most of the time the uptime is 1-2 weeks with an admin rebooting for item loads.

For those of you who analyzed my post. All I can say is get a life. It was a 30 second post with the hope to attract others to a mud and it's community of players.  Not that it matters but I started playing text-based ansi adventures with MBBS which was basically the beginning of the internet.. From BBS to MBBS 4 users to 8 users to 16 users to 24 users to 49 users etc.  The original muds were on Glacticomm, Moonshae Isles, and Logicom MBBS (Major Bulletin Board System).

I am sure there were so other versions and forms of muds popping up or happening elsewhere. It was an awesome era to be a teenagers in...

I payed the orginal diku and merc muds as well. Then Orin acquired the code and slopped a bunch of code together to create Emlen. At that point several coders spent several years trying to fix the code which is the reason there are many emlen muds that basically aren't emlen but the result of different coders hard work.

At any rate.. aturion.com at port 3333 is a nice mud. There is a history and a reason for help files not being complete and a few mob descriptions being wrong. Help files were complete at one point but somewhere along the way some of them disappeared. The admins are old and are in real life doing real life things. It doesn't effect the stability of the mud or game play.

The mapping feature works fine with every mud client I have used.

I have logged and to hundreds of other muds and they all seem to be more of the same. Aturion Dynasty continues to entertain and keep my interest.

Peace.
Jezreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
It crashed every 10 minutes I was playing while I was the only PC on. Whether that was an isolated hour or not, it was contrary to the claim of stability and quite frustrating. As far as the lottery goes, it doesn't increase the probability that I'd win. After all, the goal of trying your MUD was to see how good it was, not to get booted every 10 minutes....

The mapping feature, while it holds promise, didn't work very well. The game even says that if it doesn't work, you should recommend turning it off. Well, it functioned on less than a quarter of the rooms and when it did function, the majority of the time the map was jumbled and really of little or no use. I'm using MUSHclient so perhaps that's the reason though MUSHclient has never interfered with the mapping systems of the other dozen or so MUDs with them. And obviously, given the message in-game regarding the mapping system, someone's aware it may not run properly.

Instead of advertising the MUD as not needing staff support, I'd recommend a few dedicated staff actually take the time to fix the problems and monitor it closer. Stability and gameplay are affected when there's no one at the helm. With an active staff, when problems pop up, there's no reason to get defensive or to spin why things are not functioning/written as they should be. Instead, you just fix them and move on.

I'm known as a cynic and quite critical of most of the crap out there passing themselves off as acceptable MUDs. I've said it before that most MUDs suck. This one holds promise, and actually looks like it could rise well above the crud out there, but at present it's still in need of some work to finish it off right. So why settle?

Just some friendly advice.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #12
zeroninja

zeroninja is on a distinguished road
Alright, I really dont want to be a troll flamer, but part of the reason I started here was seeing this endorsement of Aturion. I havent played many muds so i cant say whether it is "more of the same" or "more original" at all, but otherwise I can address the fact that I had completely the opposite experience with it. First, the lag was horrible, almost all the time, with not that many players on. Second, almost all of the older players I encountered were elitist pricks, regardless of being "good"(human) or "evil" (aturion). Third, and most importantly, Palio or whatever was a dumb, PMSing worthless bitch of a gm. I'm sorry, but there's no other way I can say it. She took great pleasure in reinforcing the elitist pecking order the older players created, and sending anyone who slightly disagreed with her into permanent stasis. Also, she takes credit for the whole of the mud, when in fact all that she had created was a couple, boring lowbie tiny areas. Do not play this mud without expecting many problems, unless it has drastically changed. I played in 1998, and , not knowing it was created in 1997, took the stagnancy and such as the signs of an ancient mud, mostly settled, when in fact it is due to the admins doing nothing to improve or change the mud.

-my two cents
zeroninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:17 PM   #13
zeroninja

To put in some contributions on the good side, though, a mud i can endorse is Legend of Dracon II. There's no Pk, which sucks, but otherwise it's a really excellent rp enforced mud that needs more players. Everyone there is really friendly and helpful.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #14
Asaudan

Asaudan is on a distinguished road
Sure sounds swell, but there's this one thing in the disclaimer of that game that made me very suspicious:

"Presented to"? I suppose that means whatever players bring into the game world as original characters, potentially with backstories and all. Certainly not something I'd agree with, as a player.
Asaudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #15
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
I agree, for me to play that game I would have to get assurance that I retain the Rights to my characters. I would share them with the Game to use as part of their Story.

Either that or I would have to use something completely new, but since even then I would expect the Rights to the new character there might still be a wee bit of a problem.

Everything created in the game, for the game, by the Staff or a Player should become the property of the Game though. In most cases they should be willing to share it back to the Creator.

As far as the original subject of this Thread...

I have played it a bit, found it down for 12 hours or so a few times, but otherwise fairly stable. The mapping system works perfectly with Zmud but I am sad that it does not cover the whole game and probably will not anytime soon.

Very few people play it, and as I have chosen the not-surprisingly unpopular profession of Wizard, I have advanced mostly thorough the help of a few kind souls. No contact with Staff at all. Although there was one time where a particular set of effects made me think some Immortal had just logged in. No reply to my chatted comment about it so perhaps not.

I wanted to remember what it was like to be a player, and it has accomplished that.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:18 PM   #16
zeroninja

Yeah I didnt read that part about the properyt rights Ill have to get back to ya on that...
Old 12-30-2005, 03:06 AM   #17
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Well I shouldn't worry too much, it's not legally valid anyway. Ideas are not protected, while transfers of copyrights are not valid unless in writing and signed by the owner of the rights conveyed.

They can claim the non-exclusive right to use your work, and can certainly edit/delete/etc your pfile and such, but you will retain ownership of any creative work you submit. Your areas, backstory, etc, will still belong to you.

Ref:
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #18
Jezreel’s son

Jezreel’s son is on a distinguished road
Re: Mudders Best Kept Secret - Awesome Mud

Jezreel is my dad! Didn’t know how invested he was in Mudding until he showed me at dinner. I find it cool how he is apart of this community.
Jezreel’s son is offline   Reply With Quote

Mudders Best Kept Secret - Awesome Mud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freaking awesome mud eeizbee Advertising for Players 3 07-11-2006 05:33 AM
Castle Marrach Secrets and Secret Rooms dukevulpes Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 06-13-2006 02:35 PM
Freaking awesome mud eeizbee Advertising for Players 0 06-07-2006 02:38 AM
Chiaroscuro: Secret Magi RP'ers wanted! Wik Advertising for Players 0 02-09-2005 11:26 PM
Young Mudders vs. Old Mudders Enzo Introduce Yourself 59 11-10-2002 10:19 PM