Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 04-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #21
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #22
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I don't know... It sounds a bit complicated to me. I mean, I don't pick locks in real life for two reasons: 1. It's illegal 2. It's too complicated! Yeah, I'd hate to see my second reason for never picking locks come into a fantasy environment where I do it because it's fun.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:39 AM   #23
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
It's not particularly complicated, it just requires a little thinking, and in that respect is no different to a good combat system or magic system.

And yes, I realise that there are players who prefer combat to consist of typing 'kill' then sitting back to watch the show - and there are certainly plenty of muds that provide such an experience - but there are also many players who prefer something that requires more tactical thinking.

The same logic applies to crafting systems (and lockpicking, and so on); there's little excitement to be gained from typing 'pick lock' or 'bake pie' - indeed, these are even less exciting than most combat systems (it would be like typing 'kill orc' then being told 'you kill it' or 'it runs away').  But it really depends on what sort of audience you're aiming for, and in my case I'm placing a lot of emphasis on player skill.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote

Crafting system - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
access to crafting Terloch MUD Coding 3 09-12-2003 11:42 PM
What is it with crafting? Kallekins Tavern of the Blue Hand 34 03-18-2003 08:22 PM
Seeking RP Mud w/Great Crafting System Slanted Advertising for Players 6 03-11-2003 04:04 PM
Crafting and RP MU**s Sapphar Advertising for Players 6 08-27-2002 07:04 PM
Crafting, Creativity, and mudding types (SEAK) Burr Roleplaying and Storytelling 2 07-26-2002 12:44 PM