Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 02-19-2004, 07:19 PM   #21
welcor

welcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to welcor
welcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:13 AM   #22
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:21 AM   #23
welcor

In other words, you're a RPer.
That explains the different viewpoint.

Typing afk, and having a flag set, is simply a matter of common courtesy, IMHO. I agree with dub on this matter, no afk rules are bad. In most cases they've been added to prevent exploitation of gametime rules and botting. Why not change the base layout of the game, so you can't just idle your way upwards, if that's a concern.

About going afk in RP muds - if it's a big deal that afk people interfere with the immersion, do as someone else suggested, and send them to a non-access 'afk' room, so hapless RPers don't bump into them.

Most rules can be coded around, the no afk rule is no exception.

Welcor
Old 02-20-2004, 06:38 AM   #24
Pris

Pris is on a distinguished road
Your Mud has cooties.

Yours,
Pris

PS None of you are going to play another mud because you're already addicted to one. The entire discussion is kinda moot since the only time anyone from these forums would log into another mud is to make themselves feel good about the mud they've invested so much of their time in:
"Oh, this mud doesn't have as many levels as my chosen mud."
"This mud doesn't format speech nicely like my mud does."
"This mud blows goats."
And so on and so forth until you feel justified in logging back onto your regular mud and reassuring everyone that, "Yes, we're easily the best mud out there. All those other muds are frightening and scary and populated by strange people who don't speak our language."

The end.

Also...your mud still has cooties.

Pris
Pris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:33 AM   #25
welcor

Old 02-20-2004, 12:14 PM   #26
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Bahaha. That's easily the funniest post I've read in a long time, Pris. ^.^ Dunno how serious you were, but still...
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #27
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Hmm. Ok. My comments...

AFK - It can be odd to find someone hidding in an obscure corner then looking at the who output and seeing that they are idle. However, on the mud where I play there is always to option of going back to your house and sitting there. There is also an AFK command, so players trying to talk to someone (even is the Idle timer hasn't kicked in yet) know that they are not there. This imho makes a lot more sense than kicking the person off, but then if you are kicked off, you would drop everything you are carrying/wearing, which would be quite bad.

In general, it isn't a major issue unless you are on some mud that requires you to be in front of the machine 100% of the tiem to respond. Which is impractical and bloody stupid imho.

Movement - There was a recent comment by someone on my mud about having ships or horses, etc. added. Right now if you have climb and swim skills or can fly, you can go pretty much anyplace in the amount of time it takes to type the commands or execute a speed walk. In some respects this is quite dumb. However, my first thought was, 'hmm.. what if players had a certain number of moves they could make per minute?'. Thus you would still take a long time to get from point A to B.

The one thing I would have never thought of is the insane concept that you should be able to basically run 50 rooms (at the same pace as everyone else) and then have to spend hours recovering before moving again. Huh?!? How does this even make sense? Yeah, so someone that is 'faster' could move farther in terms of distance, but shouldn't that then be considered indurance? Speed means tow people starting in the same room at the same moment and both travelling 10 rooms should 'never' arrive at the last room at the same time, unless they both have the same speed.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I consider this an example of the BS method many designers use of implimenting the easiest solution to a problem, instead of the right one. It is much easier to limit how many moves someone can make in a day, but that isn't the *right* solution to make it even barely realistic and the end result is ****ed off players that find themselves camping out for a day, just so they can move again.

Note: Using a x-moves per minute scheme also allows you to track cumulative exhaustion. If you have 20 moves a minute and use all 10, then the next time you may only be allowed 19, until eventually you are forced to rest in order to 'recover' completely. Moving at a slower pace to avoid this becomes a choice, instead of forcing you to stop periodically for no reason, as it seems some of these muds make you.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #28
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

See, this is exactly why some people think that most RPers are elitist. You're suggesting that there be rules and penalties for people that don't pander to the RPer style of gameplay. This leads me exactly to the question that Jazuela wisely avoided answering: Why do you get the special attention over the other guy?

Another flare of brilliant ignorance. The concrete problems the original poster gave does not equate to something as undefinable as "cooties". Your post is just another example of a completely inadequate "internet analogy".
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:21 PM   #29
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:44 PM   #30
Yui Unifex

Question

Sorry, such a rule is a penalty against non-RPers. This is a form of negative reinforcement that places a mud squarely in the realm of RP Enforced, which is synonymous with "Non-RP Discouraged". RP Encouraged implies positive reinforcement of RP, not negative reinforcement of non-RP. It seems like splitting hairs to the uninitiated, but the difference is deeply significant.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:40 AM   #31
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:56 AM   #32
Dubthach

Dubthach is on a distinguished road
Next time, I recommend you use less prejudicial language if you are trying to not come off as "elitist".

Seems pretty clear that you are, in fact, elitist. You characterized non RP'ers as pathetic fools who are interested in mindless activities.

Dub
Dubthach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:32 AM   #33
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
In regard to the first comment, if someone else were already there, entering a room and mindlessly (if the action didn't entail any extensive thought beforehand regarding the situation, that pretty much consititutes mindless) killing the NPC that the other person might have been interacting with within the atmosphere of the room description is perhaps not the action of a fool.  Substitute "ass" instead.

Concerning the second statement, please see my above comment about mindless activity.  It doesn't take a lot of thought to type "kill <mob>", then direction "x", then "kill <mob>" again, etc.

In reference to the third comment, I take it you don't see the irony.  Maybe you just didn't think about it.

As for the fourth statement, read my earlier comments again and you'll see that I said that they are "occassionally played by pathetic people", not exclusively.  Most RP MUDs actually weed out those types because they are unlikely to stay within the confines of their role and the RP world in favor of doing something completely unrealistic (like slaughtering everything in sight just because it's there).  So, taking some of my words out of context may fit your purpose, but it doesn't make me an elitist.

Finally, in regards to your belief that I'm elitist, Eleanor Roosevelt said that "noone can make you feel inferior without your consent."  If for some reason you feel I'm elitist, ask yourself instead why you feel the way you do.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:37 AM   #34
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:59 AM   #35
Pris

Pris is on a distinguished road
I tend to try and make a lot of joke posts here 'cause I think a lot of topics get a bit out of hand and a bit of light-hearted humour is sometimes required.

Sometimes however it may come about that I wish to write a serious note.

Just so you're all aware; this is one of those times.

prof1515, you're a complete knob.

Honestly, those have got to be the worlds stupidest posts on any forum, ever. When neaderthals were writing notes to each other on cave walls they still came up with better responses than you did. Obviously the only thing you can RP is a troll.

Actually, I take that back, you could probably RP a troll but that's nothing compared to what is obviously your favourite RP character: The half elf, half vampyre prince of the elves who was outcast from his tribe as a youth but struggles through adversity and misconceptions every day in an effort to reach his birthright of the lost sword of R0X0RiNG!!11!!

Oh well, you have fun, maybe one day you'll be able to RP a polite, considerate person and then one of your lives might actually be able to engage the rest of us in some sort of proper conversation. Obviously it's never going to happen to your RL entity.

Don't reply, you got the flame you were trolling for. Just walk away and let everyone else continue the discussion they were having.

Yours,
Pris
Pris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:40 AM   #36
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:06 AM   #37
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I tend to think of them as follows:

1) Non-RP: You shouldn't roleplay.

Example: If you roleplay here, we'll point and laugh at you.

2) RP-accepted: You can roleplaying if you like.

Example: Some people like to roleplay, and that's fine, but you don't have to.

3) RP-encouraged: You'll be rewarded if you roleplaying.

Example: We award bonus exp for roleplaying, and only proven roleplayers are allowed to become guild leaders.

4) RP-enforced: You'll be punished if you don't roleplay.

Example: We'll freeze and ban you if your roleplaying is bad, and if you talk about OOC things we'll send the lads around to your house to break your kneecaps.

Sounds like you've got it the wrong way around - a HnSer is someone who is simply playing the mud as a game. It's the roleplayers who often try to make it more than that, and people like you who wish to ban those who do treat the mud like a game. If it's possible to go around slaughtering mobs and benefiting from doing so, then clearly the person doing so is playing the game, while you are trying to enforce behavior that goes against the intention of the game. In this case you should clearly look for a game which isn't geared that way - for example a mud in which killing NPCs for no reason gives the killer no exp, and makes other (powerful) NPCs hunt them down.

There is nothing wrong with RP, nor with HnS. Some players insist on one extreme or the other, while others prefer something of a middle ground - fortunately there are plenty of muds available so everyone can find something that appeals to their own tastes.

I should also point out that a mud doesn't have to be either RP or HnS - it can be both, or it can be something else entirely. Nor does "combat-oriented" have to mean "mindless HnS", any more than "roleplaying" has to mean "mudsex".
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:53 AM   #38
Kelthan

Kelthan is on a distinguished road
Kelthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #39
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
IMO no - you're not enforcing anything, you're just changing the coded rules of the game to reflect a more realistic approach to cause and affect. Something which any type of mud (RP or not) could benefit from.

In fact in my opinion, based on what you've wrote here, I probably wouldn't even consider you "RP encouraged" - from what you've said, you don't appear to actually offer any incentives for roleplaying, and therefore would fall into my interpretation of the "RP accepted" category. The additional quests, crafting, etc that you offer are likely to appeal more to a different crowd entirely from the typical HnSer or RPer.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:49 AM   #40
Yui Unifex

Question

I'll make sure and tell the chess club to cease their mindless slaughter and stop to think about how a rook would feel about the tiled warfare.

In case you didn't detect my sarcasm, I'm obviously telling you that the opposite of "RP" is not "mindless slaughter". There are countless strategic games out there that require a great deal of brain power, making your polarization completely foolish.

Why I won't play your mud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW MUD, COME PLAY vendetta Advertising for Players 0 07-23-2006 03:20 PM
Come Play With Us TTTGames-Robert Advertising for Players 5 10-27-2005 10:32 PM
looking for a mud I used to play... surfdaddy Advertising for Players 0 07-28-2005 11:57 AM
Looking to Play?? Myra Advertising for Players 0 09-06-2002 11:48 PM
I think this mud is really fun to play Alley Advertising for Players 0 08-24-2002 01:27 AM