Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 05-28-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
Lilith383

Lilith383 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Lilith383 Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith383
Arrow

Despite what other say, this mud is a lot of fun. It's very addicting so be warned. There are endless amount of things to do. From questing to Pking - From fighting huge mobs with your clan to obtain uber kewl equipment to runing your very own business in the land of Alyria. The game play is competitive and I think you will have a great time with it. So check it out and see what ya think.

Lilith383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 07:08 PM   #2
Skitari

Skitari is on a distinguished road
Smile

I agree totally with the person above. ROFL about the robe and wizard hat, who are you in MM?
Skitari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:38 PM   #3
guru4u

guru4u is on a distinguished road
I loged in to MM omce, mainly cause it said "custo, codebase", when I loged in the thing looked and felt like a ROM to me

am I crazy or anyone e;se get that feeling.. needless to say I didn't stay, I hate the syntax of ROMs
guru4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:55 AM   #4
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
Crystal

Name: Crystal
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Crystal is on a distinguished road
Why does everyone hate ROM anyway?  I mean if people gut the majority of the stupid thing, is it still a bad MUD because it's based off of ROM?  Seems kinda unfair to me "I think this MUD looks like ROM, therefor, it sucks, and I refuse to play it."
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
Azhon

Azhon is on a distinguished road
I too logged onto it to as it said "custom" then was disappointed when I found out it looked awfully like a DIKU.

Same as when I logged onto Achaea and found it awfully similar to Avalon.

Oh well.
Azhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:18 AM   #7
vedic

vedic is on a distinguished road
It's not hard to understand that people are used to certain types of MUDs and styles, and might be more comfortable using a similar command structure with which they are already familiar... it's difficult enough learning a new game without having to learn 100% new commands, as well.
vedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
I actually like learning a new command system, but that's irrelevant. The question is... IS it a Rom derivative? Because, last I checked, that means it isn't custom...
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:26 AM   #9
vedic

vedic is on a distinguished road
vedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:49 PM   #10
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
Don't really have the time, 'tis why I asked. But, so be it then, s'all cool.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:09 PM   #11
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Wrong, Vedic.

It was never proved conclusively to not be a Dikurivitive. Rather, the evidence that MM's staff-et al tried to post proved it to be remarkably like a Dikurivitive - especially the where code, considering that it would take about 5 minutes with a ROM to change the code to work like said where code.

Considering that a great deal of send_to_chars and more were plagarized from a ROM, and other code considerations.....

Honestly, I think it's a ROM derivitive. But the only reason MM ever got off the hook from the flamewars was because MM's staff did the -put fingers in ears and lalalalala- thing after trying to flame the community about the code they posted being "nowhere near" the Diku equivalent.

I found it amusing, but KaVir swore to high heaven that we can't go on the warpath against MM without more evidence - even WITH the amount of evidence of MM being a Dikurivitive. Sigh.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:15 PM   #12
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Well, to be fair, they don't have to prove conclusively that it's not a derivative. Other people have to prove it is. (Leaving aside the fact that one cannot prove a negative to begin with.)

Could you point us to the evidence that indicates it might be a derivative?

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:26 PM   #13
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
No of course they cannot prove it if they can't see the code. I love how high pbase muds covet their code.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #14
the_logos
Legend

Well, why should they post it? I mean, there is nothing in the world that would make me post code for our games here or on any other mud site. I KNOW the code is ours, and a million accusations to the contrary would be meaningless to me as they carry no weight whatsoever.

Assuming that they are innocent (seems reasonable to assume that until proven otherwise), what motivation do they have to post their code for review?

--matt
Old 06-24-2003, 05:47 PM   #15
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Not necessarily for review, but for people to use it if they like. I am working on a mud right now, and when I finish I will release the code, open my mud and let people use it if they want. Sure you put hours, days and even months into the completion of it, but why guard it like it's something special? I'm going to be proud of my work and let other people do what they want with it, maybe they will have some interesting and creative idea to use it in a different way then me and bring out a mud that rivals mine, then I could join them and bring my mud down to help shape and mold something much greater then what would have been before. Just my view on that.

PS: I understand how some people don't want to release their code, 100% of the huge muds won't do it. And that is perfectly fine I just don't see why they prefer to do this.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:54 PM   #16
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Very true. Although Materia Magica does have a rather dubious history (the owner has a bad history regarding following licenses, originally ran a ROM, then later shut it down and replaced it with Materia Magica which had numerous commands and text message that were identical to ROM) there was never any real proof either way. That's why myself and many others have been content to leave it as it is - I do not like to make accusations without having some very clear evidence.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:24 PM   #17
the_logos
Legend

One difference is that I'm guessing you're not working on a commercial project. Commercial projects don't release source code for the same reasons Microsoft doesn't release its source code for Word.

--matt

Materia Magica - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Materia Magica's cheating ways the_logos Tavern of the Blue Hand 125 09-22-2014 10:38 AM
Materia Magica 2003 Website Contest Results Vassago Advertising for Players 0 11-23-2003 08:07 PM
Materia Magica releases new website design! Kreative Advertising for Players 7 09-23-2003 01:39 PM