Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

View Poll Results: Which mud client do you primarily use
MUSHclient 30 28.85%
zMUD/cMUD 22 21.15%
Portal 4 3.85%
RoAClient 3 2.88%
Gmud 7 6.73%
Mudmaster 2 1.92%
SimpleMU 3 2.88%
Pueblo 0 0%
Telnet 6 5.77%
None of the above (please post below which one) 27 25.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #41
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road
Re: The mud client poll

CMUD, hands down. Mushclient is a quality client as far as its featureset is concerned but can not compare to cmud in terms of user interface.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #42
gth

gth is on a distinguished road

zMUD on Vista. Don't see a need to upgrade to CMud.

zMUD above all the others listed, because of the breadth of options possible, gauges, DDE to Excel, databases, etc. All honey for power users.
gth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #43
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough

There is an irony in that. The whole point of a non-shared variable space, or more specifically plugins, in the first place was to "prevent" interference between different sections of code, which might be using the same variables, for one reason or other. You can end up with a lot of problems when that happens. It does create some complications when passing data between different scripts, but there are methods to do it, and they are like most applications, in that they are "specific" to implementation, not just, "Through it all in the same basket and don't worry about what happens." We used to have code run in a single space, as one language, just in the master script, but, due to how it worked, it was a) hard to add to, b) could clobber existing variables, and c) if injected via a trigger or such, existed only temporarily in the code space, while executing, unless you created a function to call (it was these temporary injections that caused errors in data, since someone throwing together a scrap of code might use 'count' for something, only someone's script, added in earlier to the main file, also used it, and thus the injected code would screw up what ever the master script was trying to track.

In short, we concluded that this was actually a "disadvantage", and suggested strongly that it shouldn't happen. The only real drawback is that you then have to treat your scripts are "actual" separate code, and create a function to a) register compatible plugins with each other, b) process data passed between them, into the correct data space for the plugin that needs it. Hardly a huge problem, though perhaps initially complicated, since there is no "standard" code to do those things. The biggest issue has been load order, where if the plugin that needs to load last doesn't, it can lose track of what is loaded or not. But, the solution has been to simply have it ask on connect, or some other condition, where all plugins "must" have been loaded already. Though.. I think I might have an idea on that...
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #44
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road

I mainly use kmuddy, but starting to play with Mudlet more. is a new, open source and cross platform, client that uses Lua for scripting. Pretty darn fast too.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
Orrin

Name: Matt
Orrin is on a distinguished road

It's good to see a new client being worked on, particularly as its cross platform, however AFAIK it doesn't yet support MXP which is a deal breaker for me. There's often discussion about ways we can enhance the presentation of MUD output and, while it is far from perfect, MXP is a well established way to do that.

Last edited by Orrin : 11-23-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added quote
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #46
Aerick

Strangely enough...I actually use telnet. Oh, and Wintin95.

Unlike a lot of the Mudders that I know, I do not require triggers, macros or any other type of convenience. I've been using telnet, or some type of java-connector, for about...ten to eleven years. *shrugs*

I reckon it's all upon what you need. I don't need all the fancy bells and whistles to have a good time.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #47
valan

Home MUD: WoTMUD
valan is on a distinguished road

tintin++ because it's fast, powerful, and runs on linux.
valan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #48
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed

Well I chose MUSH. My first few muds had their own clients (Darkness Falls on AOL and Gemstone/Dragonrealms)

Later I think I moved to Threshold who supported cMud - I think. Soon after a tried several other clients. I played a game where macros and scripts were needed for the boring stuff (the grind) in between the fun stuff (the RP), so I tried Zmud like everyone else had. I found it a little too much for me at the time. Plus, as a broke teen I didn't want to pay.

I moved to MUSHClient after a long time and I've never looked back. Back in the day, I never paid for it, but now that I actually have income coming in, I'd like to donate. It's a great client and infact, it is one of the reasons I started to like programming. After trying to figure out how to make scripts for Lusternia in Lua, I became curious and started learning more.

Also, I like that you can be in several different worlds at once without opening several clients. Its a godsend when playing two slow moving MUSHes.

Also, I've read the MUSHClient is pretty fast. When dealing with combat in the IRE games, it seems that the speed of the client pays a big difference. I wouldn't know from personal experience as my scripts were just for bashing and (trying to) keep my characters alive if I should happen into to combat by accident.

Anyway, MUSHclient is the best!
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #49
Markov_AU

Name: Ben
Home MUD: Adventures Unlimited
Markov_AU is on a distinguished road

I voted RoA... but I also use Midpssh on the blackberry
Markov_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:23 AM   #50
Nas_0_Nas

Home MUD: www.dl2.net
Nas_0_Nas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nas_0_Nas

I'm old school, so I'm using Gmud. Never ran into much trouble with it, so never needed to look for a replacement.
Nas_0_Nas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #51
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road

TELNET

Because it was what I started with. I am of the pre-client generation. <g>

I have tried some clients of course. Zmud, POWWOW (still use for MUME since it has specials for that mud) or POWTTY (under Windoze). But all in all for nostalgia's sake (main reason I mud still) I prefer telnet. It's also clean and simple and lets me concentrate on the mud not the interface to the mud. The only thing I've ever missed while telnetting is the ability of a client to up arrow and repeat/edit a command. That's all. That's really the only good thing a client has to offer.

Hmmm actually I use MS-KERMIT a MS-DOS terminal program with its origins in 1989. It's mainly for kermit file transfers but it also functions as a telnet program. I have edited its keys to let me use the keypad as a shortcut to move. I am not sure that is possible with telnet. I guess it depends on what telnet. VAX telnet? UNIX telnet? Windoze telnet? I guess MS-KERMIT is DOS telnet with a few extras. Hmmm quite a few come to think of it. Session Logging, Keyboard redefinition, Scrollback. Okay I guess I should have voted OTHER! <rolls eyes> It's hardly plain telnet I just realized. I DID use plain telnet for many years.
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #52
dasy2k1

Home MUD: New Worlds
dasy2k1 is on a distinguished road

I use kmuddy because i love the output windows and guages (have the chat channel fired off to another output window, took a bit of trigger tinkering and still get a few false positives but its getting there!)
i also parse the HP SP EP output to show a graphical guage of my health etc....

i have also used kildclient which is great too
and tf when im in a terminal
but i havent quite worked out how to get macros working in tf
dasy2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #53
Violette

This poll seriously sucks.

(I've since fallen hard for Mudlet)
Old 05-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #54
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road

Z/Cmud is the only one with all the features I need. Most notably spellcheck (with the little red underline -it's all that hides my idiocy from the world- and a split screen.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #55
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: The mud client poll

Beware if wards that ore spilled correctly bit stall wring.

;-) ;-) ;-)
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #56
shadowfyr

Well... Mushclient has had spellcheck for a while now. Its also, recently, added scriptable windows, which includes graphics, as well as text, and finally, a plugin that uses these to run a mapper. Still some work going on with that, but it works, unlike the simple system that was in it before.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #57
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road

Does that translate to a split screen so easy a child can do it?
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #58
shadowfyr

Well... Probably not. But the nice thing about it is the source is available, so someone that knew how to do that could. lol Mind, the first one to do so would have a harder time managing it.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #59
Vesper

Vesper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vesper

I was a longtime user of GMud. It was the first client introduced to me and did everything I needed, honestly. Whenever I bring someone new to the world of MUDding, I tell 'em to download GMud.

Now that I'm advanced in age (finally "heroed," heh), I wanted a client that could do more, something I could toy around with outside of the norm. I settled on MushClient.

I've dabbled with z/cMud...I honestly don't understand why anyone would use either one of those clients when you have to pay for them...and MushClient, at least to me, does more for free.

So I'm a fan.
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #60
Violette

Could someone make a better, more updated poll?