Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Dr. Evil Phil

Name: Jym
Home MUD: Evarayn (No Longer Online)
Dr. Evil Phil is on a distinguished road
Question Need a new MUD/MU* !!!

Yep, as you could tell from my sig and intro thread, my old MUD died recently, and Im questing for a new one. Now, here are some of the things I'd like to see in a MU* in general, then ill get more specific after that since that helps a lot of you guys help me.

Ok, general likes and dislikes:

* Love originality! (Im setting, races, gameplay, just SOMETHING that really stands out, like in Evarayn, everything was original, from the 6 races to the setting, to its amazing sailing system).

* Love variety! (I like options, but there is such thing as too much, I dont want my brain to explode deciding between 70 races and 30 classes! UNLESS its very, very well organised and they seem different ~which becomes an issue of originality, because sometimes less is more it it makes it more original)

* Ouch! Perma death hurts! (that is, unless your exspected to die a lot, but the MUDs character creation must be VERY simple an fluid for it not to frustrate me every time I die)

* Want Required RP! (I love to roleplay, and Im sort of turned off to a world full of nothing but power players and stupid rants on the OOC board)

* Not Battle Orientated! (following up the sentence above, I dont want battle to be the only focus. Doesnt mean I dont want the battle system to rock, but I want a lot of other things to do, because i can get burt out of hitting mobs pretty fast...)

These seem like pretty basic guidlines in looking for a MUD, or MU*, it wont make or break a my opinion if the MUD doesnt have one of these things, but it should have at least half of them (or most).

Here are some random things I would think would be awesome if a MUD had in it, but are only extras in my opinion, and would make me like the MUD if it doesnt follow some of my interests listed above. (Meaning, dont suggest God Wars II, a super intense, no RP, PVP kill fest just because it has a class or race I like! :P )

~ artificers (crazy genious with killer robot arms and bombs? Im in! Not like a crafters and smiths, but someone you can creat crazy things that can really be used in combat)

~ shapeshifter (its just plain cool)

~ easy character creation (cuz if its too hard, its TOO hard!)

~ Interaction with gods/immortals (i.e. religios groups/cults. Could make for some cool RP)

~ quests or just a MUD concept itself that requires a lot of team work (only really works if theres a large player base though.)

Well, here are just some of the things that I think would make a perfect MU* for me. I hope this would make it easier on anyone wanting to help, and not just make it harder!

And thanks in advanced!

EDIT: Oh yeah, her's the link to my intro is you want to know the text games Ive already played so you dont have to add them to your suggestions!

Last edited by Dr. Evil Phil : 07-16-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Dr. Evil Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road
Re: Need a new MUD/MU* !!!

I'm going to start by plugging OtherSpace: Millennium (jointhesaga.com port 3005) with a wiki at

It's an original theme sci-fi game that takes place two thousand years in the future with a wide variety of races, human and alien alike.

We've been having RP happen on Millennium for about seven months now, and have yet to lose a single character to death. We do have permadeath, but there are ways to 'cheat the rules' as it were.

Millennium requires RP.

No mobs. No automated combat. Combat is, in fact, reffed by a live human being, kind of like a tabletop game if you're familiar with that. The combat system of OtherSpace: Millennium focuses on a highly tactical, many options type system, from the kind of armor you wear, to the gun/melee weapon you choose to use, or sci-fi esque options like psionics.

OtherSpace Millennium has some pretty high tech items that are craftable, or can be enhanced by a PC. For example, characters can make robotic pets or mobile probes they can sell to other characters, make advanced combat armors, or demolitions.

No outright shapeshifters, but psionics do allow powers like Mirage and Hallucination that can emulate a shapeshift.

We're in beta, but a major focus on ease of use has been spent on character generation. We do require a basic biography to show you know the basics of our theme, but this is to help make sure those who are interested in RP are those who make it onto the grid.

There are religious groups within OtherSpace Millennium. An example is one civilization that worships their fallen ancestors/culture heroes. There are also a few beings that could be described as 'godlike' within the universe, but as it is a sci-fi game, gods/immortals is a bit... murkier.

Players are empowered to run plots that bring a variety of players together.

If you are interested in a sci-fi theme, I think you might want to check us out.
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I can say with confidance that every one of your requests you will find on NW. You should really visit the website to see the races, areas, guilds, etc, for more. . I will explain further on each likes:

Things you really wanted:

* Love originality!: NW has both standard races and original. The game is entirely original based on a book that you can read on the website.

* Love variety!: NW has variety but is not overloaded with it. A good balance.

* Ouch! Perma death hurts!: There is resurrected death with light penalty and perma death (very rare and for severe roleplay reasons).

* Want Required RP!: Roleplay is required and enforced on this game.

* Not Battle Orientated!: Battle is part of the game, but so is religion, politics, merchants, and numerous non combat options (theater, fishing, whaling, mining, crabbing, etc.) The guild of merchants (a mostly roleplaying guild) is one of the most powerful in the game, so you get alot of both options. We also have numerous types of roleplaying bonuses. You can even sail the seas if you like on a yacht or a ship with weapons and hunt for whales, pirates, or simply enjoy the sunset.

Other things you said you would like in a mud:

~ artificers: There are interesting things in the game that are in the genre. An example of such things are catapults that must be built and can be used in wars (invasions), etc. These normally take multiple players to run and build. There are other things but you must find out that in game (e.g. an assassins guild with varying strange artifacts).

~ shapeshifter: Some guilds have the ability to change shape and even change others.

~ easy character creation: Creation is very clear and the staff and guides will assist you as needed. When finished you are immediately brought into the game amongst the 50 to 100 other players. No newbie town, etc. You will begin roleplaying with other players immediately.

~ Interaction with gods/immortals: Always. But not to override player driven roleplay. NW is player driven and run through character positions in politics and religion.

~ quests or just a MUD concept itself that requires a lot of team work: NW has a decent playerbase and while you can play the game as an individual and do some quests and a lot of things singly, players find that most of the more indepth quests and adventures require groups. There is no limit to adventure groups which makes many things fun having sometimes five to ten characters on an adventure and even twenty or thirty in some warlike situations.

Come check out the website and perhaps try the game. You will find, I think, exactly what you are looking for. And if not, we'll be happy to point you somewhere else that might have what you want.
Good Luck!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

To keep this post short, I will simply state that Threshold fits every one of your main requirements, and at least 2 or 3 of your preferences are a major focus of Threshold (particularly the involvement of mortals with the In Game religions/deities).

You should definitely check it out:
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Dr. Evil Phil

Name: Jym
Home MUD: Evarayn (No Longer Online)
Dr. Evil Phil is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies! I'll definitely check all three of these out (as I love both fantasy and sci-fi).
Dr. Evil Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

You're welcome.

Good luck finding a new home.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Baffle

Baffle is on a distinguished road

Hi, Dr. Evil Phil! From what I've read of your intro, I think The Eternal City would be a great fit for you. Here's why:

* Love originality!
TEC is build on a custom codebase, with a unique setting (ancient Rome with light fantasy).

* Love variety!
TEC is unique in that it's has a classless, raceless system (though you can choose nationality, it's pretty hard to see where someone's from just by looking at them). Rather than progress along the same path as everybody else, your own goals will decide what path your character takes.

* Ouch! Perma death hurts!
Perma death is, well, permanent. But it's also very rare and will basically only happen if you really, really deserve it.

* Want Required RP!
The world is RP enforced. Staff members roam the game looking for good roleplay to reward, as well.

* Not Battle Orientated!
The battle system does rock. It's fully unique, and requires real strategy (not just typing 'kill monster' and coming back in five minutes). But there are many viable non-combat routes available. Cooperation is a necessity in the game, as combatants need the help of non-combatants, and the products of some skills are required for other skills, forcing PCs to trade.

~ artificers, shapeshifter It's light fantasy, so this kind of stuff doesn't really fit into the theme.. but hey, you can shoot catapults. Which is almost like a robot. Sort of. 8)

~ easy character creation Character creation is not a very involved process - it's a series of multiple-choice questions to help guide your backstory while you get used to the game. You're always welcome to expand on your own backstory (and what you write might make an appearance later if a gamemaster reads it and likes it) but the game itself is very much designed to get you out into the world and playing.

~ Interaction with gods/immortalsThis has been known to happen in storylines in the past. I've met, I think, three gods in my time playing the game. (Though they can be hard to spot sometimes.)

~ quests or just a MUD concept itself that requires a lot of team work As I mentioned above, the skill sets are interdependent, and it is impossible for one character to learn all of them well. Effective teamwork is also a good strategy in the game's combat system, and when facing a smart team with good strategy, no character, not even the oldest veterans, are completely invulnerable gods.

I hope this helps! The linke for TEC is . It's hosted by Skotos, which means you get access to several different MUDs with the same account, so you can see which best fits your style of play.
Baffle is offline   Reply With Quote