Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 10-25-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
Pleos

Pleos is on a distinguished road
Amazingly, like the fellow from DragonRealms, I now find myself in the position where I must also reply to a review given to us by the fellow Tim.

While I can accept someone not liking TP MUD, and certainly TP MUD is not for everyone (no MUD is), I can't accept someone openly lying about the game. TP MUD is not perfect, no MUD is of course, but when a disgruntled player chooses to openly smear the game, well, I suppose it's my turn to reply.

The tenets state:

When roleplaying a god persona, care should be exercised when interacting with mortals. Actions that may cause a change in a player's character or concept should be considered a major event, and as such care should be taken to not alter the character's concept if at all possible.

It does not say anywhere that Gods cannot absolutely impact things. In one of the particular incidents this fellow complained about at the time, was when a God (switched into an NPC) took the baby of a PC. But, the PC *willingly* gave up the baby to the NPC after some coercing. The God didn't actually type "steal baby PC" or "claim baby PC" and take it away. The PC was foolish enough to hand over the child, because the NPC was convincing enough.

Gods do intervene and will have an impact, possibly a major one, particularly when characters veer off course with their concepts or religious RP. They are Gods.

In some cases we do speak to the players beforehand, other times we do not, because the storyline is moving quickly and action is needed. Furthermore, in the above example, when Tim complained, the PC who actually *lost* her baby did not complain. Not only that, she was excited about the prospects of recovering her child. She didn't complain, Tim did. But the whole storyline was completely fine and within guidelines. If Tim can't accept those guidelines, that's fine - he's free to play elsewhere.

As for giving OOC knowledge, I believe the sum of the knowledge was this "The baby can be found." or "The baby is alive." In order to help guide the players in their search, this information was given. Beyond that I do not believe much more was said. If it was, mistakes do happen, we are all human.

As for the Imm being promoted - the Imm in question has been a member of the Staff for years and performed some great RP storylines. He has guided tons of players in improving their RP and making TP MUD an exciting and fun world. I do not believe there has ever been a single complaint against him.

Other IC actions taken by this God with his religious followers, steered one of those followers away from Tim's PC, which made complete sense to the religion of this God, and this also angered Tim. IC must remain IC. And religious roleplay is taken seriously at TP MUD.

This is a complete lie. In-game advancement is not impacted whatsoever by any OOC efforts volunteered for the game (coding, building, etc.)

This is true, he did call her a nasty name and we did receive a complaint. But it wasn't simply a nasty name. It was abuse. And a good amount of it. And that is something I cannot tolerate whether it's inside the game or out. Respect for the playerbase and Staff is paramount to the success of TP MUD and I take that very seriously. Plus, what he was saying to the other player was so beyond innapropriate, it wasn't just a casual, bad name, it was almost as nasty as you can imagine.

Actually, he has no clue what was discussed with the person in question, or what punishement was handed out.

Again, this is not really true. The Staff decided that due to the nature of the abuse and the fact that the acrimonious OOC relationship was likely impacting things ICly, we offered Tim a fresh start. Stop playing his existing characters, leave them be, and create 1 new character. Do not tell anyone that you play the character and stop speaking to people OOCly. That is the sum of what we offered him. So in fact, we offered him what we felt was a very fair opportunity - get into the game with one character and focus on what TP is about: roleplay. Leave the rest of the nonsense behind.

This is again a complete lie. In fact, the player he's referring to is not "recoding an area", or doing any building or coding. Discussions were had with this person and an Imm regarding possible coding but nothing came of it. They were very preliminary discussions and nothing more, and had no impact whatsoever on how we dealt with Tim or this other person.

This again is completely bogus, only stressing the point that what you hear OOCly about people or a game over the Internet is rarely all truth or in many cases even partial truth.

Firstly, the person that was punished ICly was not punished by *me* (the Imp in question), but by the Staff on a whole. We discussed the progress of her character development and came to an agreement on how the IC punishment should work. I was the one that pulled the trigger, and I did speak to her about it beforehand. She was willing to take up the challenge of the punishment and move forward, even though I was clear that it would be very challenging, but could be great fun as well.

The IC punishment was handed out because the character was all over the place in terms of her character concept and development. At one moment she was devious, the next good, followed by her seeking to walk the Dark path of evil. And then Light again. She devoted to multiple Gods over the span of a few weeks and the Gods, ICly took notice. How can you be a follower of the God of Nature one second then switch to the God of Darkness? So the Gods, ICly got involved because of the extreme nature of the IC situation.

This has nothing to do with an Imm that was recently demoted/retired, or this player being friends with that Imm. I didn't even realize they communicated at all.

In this statement, he is partially correct. Membership in Organizations *is* supposed to be a reward given for good RPing. Moreso, it's that the top RPers make their way into the Orgs if they choose. And yes, he is correct in saying that a character or characters with questionable RP have made it into Orgs. Sometimes Org leaders are fooled ICly, sometimes even the Staff make a mistake. Oftentimes a player RPs well for a certain amount of time, accomplishes his/her goal and lets the RP slip off. But, the character he used in his example has and will be dealt with further.

Where he is incorrect is that players are admitted "within an hour or two of real time." This does not happen. It certainly did not happen with the character he uses in his example above. Our typical procedure for Org Membership is significant IC RP amongst the players, as well as a concept check and review by the Staff. We're all human, some slip through the cracks, but it is not quite as dire as Tim makes it out to be.

There is always turnaround, players come and go. TP MUD is constantly evolving into an improved and more advanced RP environment. Again, it's not the MUD for everyone, and that's fine. So, some players will indeed be leaving as they decide the vision and forward direction/evolution of TP MUD is not for them.

We have recently banned a handful of players - for cheating, abuse of players and Staff and horrible RP. Simple as that. This also happens, and is part of the life of a MUD. The Staff is doing what they can on a constant basis to clear out those people who do not deserve to be playing TP MUD, to make it a better environment for everyone else.

As for immortal "forced" retirements, there recently were two Immortals that retired, both of which were asked to retire. It was time for both of them. One understood quite well and one did not. This was a difficult situation for all involved, but as TP MUD evolves so to does the Staff. The Staff of a MUD is never truly static, all MUDs add staff and lose staff for various reasons.

Well, I can't disagree with the "potential" part, but the rest is once again untrue.

Our playerbase likely is moreso in the 17-20 average range. I believe the playerbase, slowly, is maturing and we are attracting older players, more experienced players. TP MUD does not have a registration-type process, so at the present time, it's open to anyone willing to connect. This means we get all sorts, but that's nothing different from most other MUDs. Even MUDs with application processes can't block out every immature player or every problem player.

Meanwhile, while speaking to Tim he has told me his real age (if he was truthful with that), which is roughly double the age of our "supposed" playerbase of 15-16 year olds, yet even at that age he's being horribly abusive to players OOCly and being as disrespectful as any player I've come across. A player's success, maturity and quality in terms of RP is not absolutely and totally hinged on age.

Finally, with all of Tim's badmouthing and ultimately his lying (whether he believes what he's written or not, and I suspect he does), he is still playing TP MUD. It seems at this stage he has taken me up on the offer of playing 1 character and to date we are reviewing the situation.

In general, the playerbase can never truly know the full story of what is going on with a MUD or amongst the Imm Staff. They can never know what transpires between the Staff and a particular player. Players do not have the 20,000 foot view that the Imms have, which is how most MUDs operate.

Chat messaging software is the death of MUDs. It's use can so easily kill the IC intensity of a game. I recommend for players to simply not use it. But of course, some do, and we cannot stop that. And, people lie over the Internet (they do so in real life as well, of course, but it seems quite common for people to "take on personas" online). The playerbase of *any* MUD will very often be chattering OOCly about what's going on, the state of the MUD. (Not cheating, just general chit chat). This is very common. But the problem comes when a player accepts absolute lies hook, line and sinker.

Tim is a disgruntled player. Things have not gone his way ICly, nor OOCly with the relationships he was attempting to develop through the game. That happens. But the review he's provided is largely a lie and not representative of TP MUD.

Thank you.

Pleos, TP Imp
Pleos is offline   Reply With Quote

Review response: TP MUD - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Response to Burning Down The House the_logos MUD Announcements 24 03-25-2005 01:10 AM
Response to latest Armageddon Review Jazuela Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 06-13-2004 10:39 PM
Shadows of Isildur: "Review" Response. Traithe Tavern of the Blue Hand 5 12-05-2003 01:35 AM
Review Response Songsworn_Draconita Tavern of the Blue Hand 4 10-23-2003 11:26 PM
Review Response Terloch MUD Administration 15 10-14-2003 03:38 PM