Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-18-2003, 06:41 PM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

OtherSpace: The Interactive SF Saga
Telnet: jointhesaga.com 1790

This is a special offer for experienced roleplayers. Join OtherSpace before June 28, 2003, our fifth anniversary, and you may be eligible to get your first character without all the front-end biographical work.

Here are the stipulations:<ul>- Send a rundown of your RP experience, games you've played to
- Be sure to visit the MUSH and read our NEWS files and check out the Survivor's Guide at forums.jointhesaga.com
- Submit a name, race, gender and description of your character with your RP resume e-mail[/list]Players who submit for this offer should be capable of defining their character more *after* getting into the game than trying to divine it all in advance. And such players should also be self-starters. The staff of OtherSpace reserves the right *not* to honor this offer with any player who appears too inexperienced for the environment we provide.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:34 PM   #2
Falconer

Falconer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Falconer
I'm sure that there are a handful of experienced roleplayers out there who have thought about giving OtherSpace a try but are intimidated by either the science fiction theme or MUSH codebase.

I'll be blunt and direct: if you let this stop you from trying Wes' environment, you're truly missing out.
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:32 PM   #3
Eternal

Eternal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Eternal
I popped by Otherspace not long ago and created a character. It was great fun for a while, but I will admit that the MUSHy aspects eventually led to me practically tearing my hair out.

For those of you that are used to roleplay-required hard-coded systems, I'd like to propose this analogy. A MUSH is more like writing a collective novel, whereas a hard-coded game (henceforth crunchy) is more like improvisational acting. Long, seemingly turn-based emotes (poses) including everything from strange symbols for other languages to thoughts will confuse many who believe such hampers roleplay. This is, of course, not true.

Brody has created an amazing set of worlds with a rich and detailed history. That, when combined with the MUSHy style tends to scare off potential players because it contains both the fairly high learning curve (combatted by The Green Room ooc area, as well as the ability to use somewhat "global" channels) and lacks hard-coded realism to back up actions.

I have applied for various special roles on this game, and will undoubtedly do so again in the future. It's a great game to play, and I'd advise that any experience roleplayer give it a shot at least once. Heck, play a rarely seen character and go there when you feel a need to get away from the skill-based crunchy systems that you call home. If you decide it's your cup of tea, welcome to the game. If not, at least you gave it a try, and brought (if only temporarily) a new perspective and your own personal energies to their world.

As always, Lord Templar Hard Nose (Eternal).
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:58 AM   #4
John

John is on a distinguished road
I don't really have enough time to devote a lot of time to any game becase I'm busy with schoolwork. But curiousity got the better of me, and in my small amount of spare time between school and working on the Armageddon website I've had a poke around OtherSpace. So here are my initial thoughts about the game.

There is A LOT to learn and it isn't easy. I've come across QUITE a few websites on OS with various bits of information on worlds, organisations and races. The information is also VERY vast, and goes as far as . Having said that, the information IS spread out across a variety of files in the game (including +NEWS, HELP and +HELP files) as well as split up across various websites. The main website is also going under changes which can cause a fair bit of confusion (did for me at least). But the good thing is about all that, is that you can ask questions on the discussion board, In-Game boards and the newbie channel by hopping into the OOC area.

Now besides the obvious code differences between muds and mushes, there are actually a lot of differences between OtherSpace and Armageddon. An example to show how completely different they are is on Armageddon you rarely ever find out why your character was killed because Armageddon has a strict policy against spreading IC info through OOC means. On OtherSpace your FORCED to write a story up whenever you kill someone saying why you did it and how it's affecting your character.

I also had the belief that on MUSHes it's up to each individual player if something bad happens to them. So if someone tries to kill you you have to let them otherwise you stay alive. That's not how things happen. They have staff members who refferee fights to determine who wins based on each fighter's stats.

I guess the best anolgy for comparing MUSHes to RPI's is that MUSHES are interactive books while RPI's are puzzles and your only ever given one or two pieces of the puzzle at any one time.

So yeah, I haven't actually played the game, but it does look interesting. So if you like to roleplay and your after something completely different to Armageddon, then you might want to try OtherSpace out.
John is offline   Reply With Quote

Special offer for experienced RPers! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chiaroscuro: Special Nobility Offer! Brody Advertising for Players 0 11-27-2005 11:47 PM
Sneak Preview Offer: NEW Karinth Webstore Fern MUD Announcements 0 06-22-2005 12:36 AM
Just Another MUD Hosting Offer :) GenmaC MUD Announcements 0 03-07-2004 03:50 AM
Chiaroscuro: Special offer until Oct. 1, 2003! Brody Advertising for Players 0 09-22-2003 04:14 AM
Calling all aliens! Limited time offer! Brody Advertising for Players 0 10-03-2002 04:05 PM