Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 05-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
creepyguyinblac

creepyguyinblac is on a distinguished road
Post Looking for new RPI/RPE mud

Hey there, I used to play muds alot about 10 years ago then haven't since I moved out of my parent's, but now I'm kind of getting back into some. I can only stand to play true RPI muds though, such as Armageddon, Shadows of Isildur and Harshlands. I just played AtonementRPI but the alpha finale was monday and I want to find something new. I've heard about inquisition and threshhold but they don't fit with what I like. I'm really interested in finding an RPI thats in development so I could possibly contribute, i've built before way back when, or get in on the ground floor of some player clan. It has to have a solid codebase for combat and crafting, and of course permadeath so no MUSHes, and have roleplay enforced, with no xp or leveling, and ideally no classes, though Arm has them and is okay. Let me know if there is anything out there that I haven't heard of.
Thanks
creepyguyinblac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Looking for new RPI/RPE mud

There are only 4 presently open for play:

Armageddon
Shadows of Isildur
Harshlands
Southlands

In development but not yet open (or recently closed while they work on the game more):

Black Sands
Scialla
Atonement

Additionally there are at least 2 other RPIs in very early stages of development/coding but which won't be open for a long time.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
creepyguyinblac

creepyguyinblac is on a distinguished road

What are those 2 in development? That's pretty much exactly what I was asking for in my post, and I already mentioned that I've played 3 of the 4 open ones you listed. I think I may have played southlands briefly a long time ago, is it an offshoot of HL or forever's end or the Four Lands?
creepyguyinblac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Jelkir

Jelkir is on a distinguished road

The Eternal-City (TEC) () is an RPI MUD. You must stay in-character at all times and role-playing is mandatory (you will receive infractions if you are being out-of-character). It is a MUD based on the Roman era (approximately 200 years before death). Player killing needs to be approved by the game staff. You can still be attacked and stolen from and even sent into a coma, but not killed unless approved and death -is- permanent. Game staff is not currently looking to recruit new blood. The game has been in existence since 1997 and has over 100000 rooms to explore. Just a note: character histories are not required to be written or submitted to be accepted unlike other RPI MUDs.

The mechanics are different from any other MUD's out there. You do not earn experience points but instead Skill Points in your different skillslots which can be spent to learn attacks or better yourself in these attacks (the skill system is fully customizable - you decide what you want to learn and when). You will not be gaining levels. There are no classes or 'races' although you can have a different homeland that have some advantages (being a citizen, having a special trait, etc.) Combat is also manual, meaning that you have to enter your different attacks and you can even aim them at specific body parts to inflict more damage, or to find a flaw in someone's defense.

There is a very long list of social commands that can be used and the ability to use an 'emote' command.

Feel free to pay us a visit.

Last edited by Jelkir : 05-19-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Jelkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
prof1515

Southlands is a sister MUD of Four Lands.

One of the two in development which I did not name is my own game, The Streets of Yesterday. However, we're nowhere near to opening. The other game I have no name for; I was merely told by its owner that he was working on it 2 years ago. As I haven't heard further from him, I can't confirm whether he still is or not.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

I know that a member here named Donathin Frye use to post about Atonement RPI. I believe that is in BETA or just opened. As Donathin seemed to be very well spoken and a good member here I would suggest his MUD. I'm not sure where he went as I cannot find him as a member, but check out that MUD, it is probably the only game of that Genre I would recommend.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
prof1515

Um...he played Atonement.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion

I know about a second RPI MUD that, similarly to the Streets of Yesterday, is in development and is not expected to be released soon. Current development is focused on engine design, while a very concentrated effort is being made to work over the world theme overview.

If you are truly interested and have that sort of patience -- that is, to realize that the project likely will not see the light of day for at least another year, you can contact me and let me know a little something about what you are looking to do and what your particular skill-set is. I am seeking out a strong but broad range of talents, not just the cliche "coder" and "awesome-sauce room builder"; that said, the ground-floor team is anticipated to be very small.

Note on Contacting: DO NOT use the TMS PM system. I do not visit these boards regularly. Use AIM (Lunar Parhelion) or email (lunar.parhelion@gmail.com).
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road

You could try Unwritten legends!
Still in development, but it's probably going to be called that for the next four decades.
You just have to e-mail a request to the admins to be admitted.
It's
Some features:
-RP is definitely required and enforced.
-Unique inventory system: No walking around with 50 items mysteriously floating in a vacuum. Instead, there's a wide variety of wearable containers such as pouches, purses, hunting sacks, nets, and knapsacks (and more). Most clothing even has pockets!
-Extremely detailed character creation, right up to your eyebrows.
-Methods of gaining exp outside of combat including Fishing, Picking locks, even playing a dice game!
-You can even get unique loot by fishing up containers.
-Gradual Exp absorption, so you don't feel like you're sacrificing levels to RP.
-Manual combat with limb damage and loss, manual targeting of limbs, variety of herbs for various injuries.
-Ammo using bows, automatic crossbows, pepper-boxes.
-Each magic class has unique spells and abilities.
-There's even variety of melee classes that actually play differently!
-Own your own ride-able horses (with saddlebags and barding) and pets.
-Rent-able rooms in a nice selection of inns
-Still in development: New features get coded in all the time!
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye

I'm still here. Atonement RPI is, too. We just had a large 'tween ALPHA/BETA Timeline Event, of which the log is posted on our website. We are slated for a late August/Early September release of BETA. I'm very much still around, though, and I look forward to our upcoming press releases.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
Myrdrid

Myrdrid is on a distinguished road

Why not try Dark Isles? .

Set in a historical context closely related to around 15th century Europe, Dark Isles has its own defined religion, races and world history adding a fresh spin to a common theme.

It's been around for long enough to have an established mythos, code and playerbase.

Our crafting tree makes almost any item in game craftable.

Our PvP combat system is emote-based as well as coded, making combat more in-depth and exciting.

Friendly staff and players ensure that every question is answered efficiently and effectively.

Our roleplay enforced environment and class-less/level-less system ensures the full immersion of a player.

Regular plots and staff intervention creates an exciting and unpredictable roleplay environment, whether you are in the front line of a demon attack or simply fishing by a river.

'Your' excellent roleplay abilities are recognised and rewarded through their own point system (SP), opening up possibilities of special characters and rare races for those who are most deserving!

JOIN US NOW!!

Host: dark-isles.com
Port: 7000
Myrdrid is offline   Reply With Quote