Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 08-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
dubstep

dubstep is on a distinguished road
Looking for a certain type of MUD

Hiya,

I'm looking for a MUD that fulfills the following conditions, but I can't seem to find one. In essence, I want a very simple MUD I can play for 10-15 mins at a time. Many players don't need to be on - I just need a small distraction every so often.

I was wondering if any of you have come across one that fulfills these reqs:

The last point is a must. I quit Achaea because of points 3 and 5.

I hope that's not pushing it.

I've attempted to play MUDs before, namely Achaea and Discworld, for about a month a piece. Either the RP or over-complexity of the game killed it for me.

Thank you ahead of time for any and all help this community can provide me.
dubstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for a certain type of MUD

perfectly matches your five criteria:
You mentioned wanting a mud that you can "play for 10-15 mins at a time", and God Wars II really is perfect for that. There is no eating or drinking, no corpse recovery, no reliance on other players, and you can't really get lost or lose anything. If you need to leave, you just leave - and the "boost" system, which was designed to discourage botting, strongly rewards casual play.

However, God Wars II is definitely not "a very simple MUD". It offers extensive documentation, hints, and a "what" command that you can type at any time, which tells you what you should be doing next...but the game is often noted for its complexity. So it may not be what you're looking for.

Two other factors which are dealbreakers for many players: The focus of the mud is combat - and most of the gameplay (including the quests and minigames) is unashamedly built around that vision. The mud is also roomless, using coordinate-based movement - this is an essential part of the combat system, but if you're an old-school mudder you may find it too wierd to handle.

However if you fancy giving it a go...

Address: godwars2.org 3000

If you do try it out, I suggest choosing "quickstart" in creation, and don't be shy about using the "what" command. You may also want to choose the class if you hang around long enough to class, as it's specifically designed to be easy to play.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
dubstep

Oh man, this looks pretty perfect! Going to try it out now. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
aeonian

Home MUD: ConQUEST
aeonian is on a distinguished road

Another MUD you may wish to check out is .

We are a raceless mud. We do not have explicit classes either. Instead, players take their choice of 30 out of 300 skills and spells to customize their character as they please. General themes tend to emerge, though, and you'll often see people refer to particular setups as "axe user", "fire mage", "nature mage", etc. The system offers quite a bit of diversity, and I've yet to see any two players with the exact same build.

We are not RP enforced, and our theme is not high fantasy. The game focuses on exploration, resource gathering, and player-vs-player competition. It takes place in a world where civilization has grown beyond its capacity to sustain itself. As a result, poverty, disease, and conflict are becoming commonplace. Citizens are leaving the known world in search of fruitful new lands to settle. The game starts you in off in one such settlement.

The highlights of the game are its combat system and crafting system. All items in game are player-made. Choose whichever professions you'd like, and use them to build your dream item. All crafting happens in real time, regardless of whether you are logged in or not. It is very amenable to casual play.

The combat system is rich and detailed, but accessible. Scripting is not required to be competitive. It revolves around setting up combos and maneuvering your opponent into circumstances that are ideal for you but not for them. Combat can be fast paced or slow paced; it all depends on what sorts of weapons you choose to use and who you are fighting. In either case, it does rely highly on individual player skill. Good equipment usually isn't enough to win a fight. You have to understand how the combat system works too.

Some other notable points you may wish to know before trying the game:

Character advancement is very slow. The focus of the game is intended to be more on creating social and political connections (i.e., guilds), competition (pvp, guild warfare), exploration, and experimentation. If you're looking for a game where you can see noticeable improvement to you character on a daily basis, you may be disappointed.

The evolution of the world is player driven. All items outside of the newbie zone are player-crafted, players are encouraged (and rewarded) for submitting new monster and crafting ideas, and guilds are all player run. We also recently we added a way for players to create their own lairs. This is a dungeon that you can populate with guards, and store your treasure in. If your treasure goes unlooted by other players for enough time, it 'ages' and slowly becomes more powerful.

ConQUEST does not require a 3rd party client. However, we do offer a custom client with a specially tailored UI for the combat system. The client is a work in progress, but is currently usable. We also have a MUSHClient plugin in the works, which will duplicate the custom client features when it is finished. However, these things are simply conveniences, and by no means required to play the game.

Address:
Custom Client:
aeonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I would recommend 4Dimensions link here: for the sheer fun of the themes, quests, and riddles. It has races and classes but if you select human I don't think it will matter. Other than that perhaps try a modern age mud themed around human only.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
dubstep

Will give conQUEST a try as well. A few things in there caught my attention, namely player created items and the specifics of the class-less system.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
dubstep

I think ConQUEST is exactly what I was looking for. Love the Java client - everything about it

Thanks Aeonian - I think I found a new MUD to call home for a while.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hi Dubstep,

I'm curious how ConQuest turned out for you. Did you find everything there you expected?
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote