Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Violette

Drugs in MUDs

Anyone mind giving me a list of MUDs that use mind-altering substances or can refer me to some? It's quite amusing.

Btw this is hilarious:
Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
dranor

dranor is on a distinguished road
Re: Drugs in MUDs

Imperian and some of the other Iron Realms MUDs have weed in them, which makes you see all sorts of crazy colors. It can be quite fun, as an occasional gimmick.

Achaea, though, has gleam, which is some pretty hardcore stuff. So hardcore that it got a mention a few years ago.
dranor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
jackal59mo2

jackal59mo2 is on a distinguished road

I just ran across the following in the wiki for :

No, I can't really tell you how this works out in the game. I'm not sure that I want to find out. But, if you want drugs in a MU*, I'd say they've got 'em.
jackal59mo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Ishap

Home MUD: Midkemia Online
Ishap is on a distinguished road

Midkemia has the Dark Path for Moredhel (for those unfamiliar with the lore of the Riftwar Saga, the Dark Path is followed by the Moredhel race, who seek to claim the evil magical power of the Valheru Dragon Lords that once ruled the universe). Anyway, in terms of game mechanics, they can draw on this dark power in places where it lingers, which acts as a fairly powerful self buff for a period of time. However, they become more addicted the more they draw on it, and eventually will suffer withdrawals if they don't keep using it.
Ishap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Kereth

Home MUD: www.retromud.org
Kereth is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Drugs in MUDs

I know RetroMUD has some drugs, with effects such as hallucinations, and even used to have a guild with drug usage as a minor part of its theme (the Hand Guild, as an assassin guild vaguely resembling Marco Polo's version of the hashasheen, though it's been revamped into the Assassin Guild, a more tactically interesting shift, which cut out the drugs and religious skills. There are still drugs and hallucinations and such around though.)

I believe DiscworldMUD also has some drugs, though I'm fuzzy on the details. They've got a number of snacks and drinks which make your character act oddly, and I at least suspect their might be some actual drugs in the mix somewhere, but I can't think of where they'd be at exactly.
Kereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road

Yep, I can say that 2 of my home muds do. Not sure what that says about me since I'm a TeaTotaller and complete square.

GateWay MUD has Wacky Tobacco that makes you paranoid, sleepy or gives you the munchies. :-) It also has frogs that you can lick for a rather interesting effect. Also there's a hidden man in the Orient who you can smoke Opium with if you give him some.

MUME has mauve petals you can smoke which do some odd things as well. Haven't really figured that out though so it might not be applicable. Oh and there's also mushrooms one can eat for freaky effects. And I don't mean those Farmer Maggot grows!
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Bakha

Bakha is on a distinguished road

Armageddon has them in the form of "spice." The funny thing is that they're, from a coding perspective, very similar to potions. They offer various buffs and enhancements depending on the drug. They also have the potential for dependence and overdose. From a roleplaying perspective, though, they're looked at as drugs. They're banned in one city. There's a merchant house that has pretty much made its fortune from harvesting and distributing them, and they're a pretty integral part of the overall culture and atmosphere of the game.

Oh, there is also a hallucinogenic "poison" that some people take recreationally. It causes hallucinations in the form of random echoes to the player.
Bakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road

Ironclaw has some.
We've created "new" drugs, because we want the roleplay of drugs, crime etc. without making it too close to home for the other players. The primary drug in use is called an "exotic grain" which looks like a grain of rice that is swallowed.

That helps us avoid the problems of players OOC having strong opinions. In another game where pot was introduced, you'd get problems where some players would strongly oppose the drug, while others would strongly endorse it - which is fine from a game perspective, but bad when the players OOC feelings are too strong on the matter. Keeping it that little bit distant helps the players react as their characters rather than as themselves.

Our drugs are primarily just emits to the player to let them know how they're feeling, as well as emits to the rest of the witnesses. The emits might not always match (so one drug may make the character feel confident and suave, while the audience may see them drooling and slurring their words.)

We also have a lot of drugs used for medicinal purposes (which some characters are addicted to)

And, of course, tobacco and alcohol...

Amusingly, since our characters are anthro animals, most of the cat players roleplay that they treat catnip as a drug, too.
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
dasy2k1

Home MUD: New Worlds
dasy2k1 is on a distinguished road

NWA has a few drugs that mostly have the same coded effect as getting drunk,. such as grass roots cigars....
there are also druid mushrooms that have healing powers at the expense of hallucinations (becoming very drunk)
dasy2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote