Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 02-27-2003, 07:06 PM   #1
Burr

Burr is on a distinguished road
Are directions typically a set of actual objects in each room, where, by entering 'look north' you actually 'look' at the object 'north'? Or is it usually designed more as a kind of contengency plan for when a simple 'look' function won't suffice? Or is it something else entirely?

I don't have any code to look at first hand, as I doubt the college I compute at would look kindly on the downloading of an entire mud codebase. I need to keep my computing priveleges.
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
When you type "look north" what you get is the exit description set for that direction. If you use OLC, this gets set when you're editing a room.

I'm not sure if this is what you were enquiring about, so if it isn't feel free to post back and say "No, I meant blah blah" and I'll try and answer that instead!
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:29 AM   #3
Azhon

Azhon is on a distinguished road
How does scry work code wise anyhow? Especially in the SMAUG form.

It makes it if you were in the room you scried into, and you're dumped to the bottom of your real room's room list.

How does it work?

Thanks.
Azhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:36 AM   #4
jornel

jornel is on a distinguished road
jornel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:42 AM   #5
Kitsune

Kitsune is on a distinguished road
Angry

I'm not saying this the first reference of Bamf ever - but its the sound Nightcrawler made when he teleported waaaay back in early X-Men. Have to check out when X-Men Giant Sized 1 came out.

*shrugs*
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:07 AM   #6
kaylus1

Lightbulb

Burr: The idea you presented is actually how it works on my mud to say the least. I have a mapping/dictionary which holds the exit names and their corresponding room object.

When a player types a command (eg: look north / go north) the code runs a check to make sure such an object exists then runs the "can I" checks and either moves the player into the objects inventory or calls the objects short and long description methods. If it doesn't exist the mud attempts to create it.

Actually, you are right Kitsune. Here is the definition listed in the Jargon file:

bamf /bamf/

1. [from X-Men comics; originally "bampf"] interj. Notional sound made by a person or object teleporting in or out of the hearer's vicinity. Often used in virtual reality (esp. MUD) electronic fora when a character wishes to make a dramatic entrance or exit. 2. The sound of magical transformation, used in virtual reality fora like MUDs. 3. In MUD circles, "bamf" is also used to refer to the act by which a MUD server sends a special notification to the MUD client to switch its connection to another server ("I'll set up the old site to just bamf people over to our new location."). 4. Used by MUDders on occasion in a more general sense related to sense 3, to refer to directing someone to another location or resource ("A user was asking about some technobabble so I bamfed them to

Jornel: As to which code base it originated in, I'm not quite sure. But there are references that go quite a bit back to some of the first muds , in fact it was even a teleport command on a few muds.

BAMF!
Kaylus@Solice

How are directions (n, e, s, w) typically coded? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Future MUD directions erdos Advanced MUD Concepts 28 07-04-2007 03:15 PM
Six Basic Directions NotL337 MUD Builders and Areas 19 12-02-2006 02:53 PM
I Just Coded In Ruby! Rykkan Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 03-14-2006 02:40 PM
RP and Coded Systems Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 11 06-04-2005 07:52 PM
Look at what I just coded! Sapphar Advanced MUD Concepts 7 09-10-2002 05:26 AM