Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 04-20-2002, 12:26 PM   #1
Robiwan

Robiwan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Robiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:24 PM   #2
SyNo

SyNo is on a distinguished road
Well Mushes are mostly more RP oriented. In most mushes you use a 'pose' to set up the scene in which you and whoever else will be RPing, and after that, you can use strings of emotes, says, and etc. to roleplay situations. Most Mushes dont even use a global combat command, so most combat is also RPed. They have strict IC/OOC rules.

Muds differ, you can have RP oriented muds with strict roleplay, but they also allow you to use the combat system, and they usually have a set of npcs in which are meant for you to attack.

some muds are basically for those people who prefer killing things, nothing more, nothing less. Theres a wide variety, the only way you can learn more about them, is to go out and try them.
SyNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 09:22 AM   #3
Robiwan

OK, I think I'm seeing a major difference...But could a MUSH then simply be a chat room where people get together to RP? I once saw a chat room on AOL (Back when I was in my brain washed years). This chat room was the Tigerclaw from Wing commander, and there was a GM, and they all had missions they went on. There was no rolling of dice, just taking actions. Would that qualify as a MUSH?
Old 04-21-2002, 09:40 AM   #4
Robiwan

Also, while looking around in the Advert section, I found a link to another sight where I read: MUSH, MUX, MUCK, MOO, MUD, or other MU* games

I'm at a loss. I've never heard of MUX, MUCK, MOO, and they say there are more? If you know what any of them are, could you let me know?
Old 04-21-2002, 10:31 AM   #5
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
They are all "MUDs". The confusion is caused by the historically uninformed. MUSH, MUCK, MOO, etc are codebases which are derived from TinyMUD - in the same way as Merc, ROM, Smaug, etc are codebases which are derived from DikuMUD.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
kavir pwns
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
Robiwan

Ah, OK...I understand that. But what about that chat room I mentioned. Would it fit under the catagory of MUSH?
Old 04-21-2002, 10:12 PM   #8
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
no, a chat room is just a chat room, there are no details about the room , you cant move around cant get or use eq, that chat room was just used to host there version of RP, and a mush is a mud like Kavir said
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 11:48 AM   #9
Siobhan

Siobhan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Siobhan Send a message via MSN to Siobhan Send a message via Yahoo to Siobhan
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote

What is the difference? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to see the difference? jornel Advertising for Players 0 05-07-2003 09:03 AM
You'll notice the difference right away! Jorana Advertising for Players 1 05-04-2002 11:08 PM
You'll notice the difference right away! Jorana Advertising for Staff 0 05-04-2002 11:06 PM