Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Mauk

Mauk is on a distinguished road
Sort of a LFM thread.

Hi guys and girls.

New forum user here. Have been abcent from the mud world for around 15-16 years. The plan is to get back!
My fondest and most vivid memories from computer gaming are from back then. I still have clear pictures from the worlds and the people i played with.
Now to the point.
I've been scanning this site and mudconnect looking for a mud that suits me. As my time infront of the computer is strictly limited and the life with two small children leads to quick disconnects, hence I need something pretty casual.
I don't mind a bit of hack'n'slash but I would like a world that's rp encouraged. I liked to to roleplay back then and still does. But i do not have the time for only getting xp from rp events and such.
A huge active playerbase is not a req, but a few online (~10) all the time is prefered.

So I looked at the top lists and tried BatMud first, didn't really get into it.
Or no first I tried to create a char in DartMud as it seeemed different, but i get no registration mail and response from the "gripe" function.
Then I choose between Materia Magica/Aardwolf and took MM first.
Thats where I am, been running around the newbie area for a few hours and it seems ok. But there's really no WOW (as in "My goodness how nice this feels" not World of Warcraft) feeling. But it has a lot of the components i'm looking for so I might stick to it.

Can someone explain the differences between MM and Aardwolf?

Maybe there's another Mud i'd like if i tried, please let me know in that case.
Yeah almost forgot, then back in the time i only played 2 muds. Each maybe 2 years. One of 'em only had 3 races, werewolves, vampires and dragons. And the thing I remember I really liked was it's levelless system. You just boght hp/skills and such (don't remember the details) for the exp you earned. So there was no real limit how powerful you could be. So I would really like to try a new Mud with a leveless system.

Sorry for the rant and please tell me if I don't make sense and need to clear things up.
Regards
Mauk
Mauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Sort of a LFM thread.

The training system sounds exactly like God Wars, and it also fits your timeframe, although it didn't have dragons - it had vampires, werewolves, mages and demons (and a couple more that weren't finished). The mud shut down in 1996, but the source code was leaked, and it became the basis of quite a few new muds, some of which are still around. If you do a search for "godwars" on here you'll find a few suggestions (and considerably more if you do a search on ).

The original God Wars wasn't a roleplaying mud, but some of the newer ones are. However I should also clarify (in case you read my sig) that God Wars II does not use the same training system (nor is it a roleplaying mud) - you might be better off trying something like , although their playerbase may be too small for your tastes.

I'm afraid I can't really help you with comparisons of Materia Magica and Aardwolf. They both have their roots in Diku/ROM, so there will certainly be similarities in their interfaces (command syntax, etc) when comparing them with LPMuds like BatMud and DartMud. But in terms of specific features, the differences are going to be significant, and you'd really need to ask players of those games for a more detailed answer.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

Ok, just a few suggestions for hack and slash; I've been playing muds for some time, and generally jump around a lot. I don't know how to make links in the forum, nor do I have the desire to find home pages, so punch these into your favorite search engine; if you search on tms you'll find them all.

Firstly, alter aeon. It's good if you're looking for something really casual, it's got a large playerbase, and has multiclassing. The newbie areas are well-done, however, the quality does go down a bit afterwords. Unfortunately, it's pretty basic, level-based with practices, no crafting, but I do still go back to it from time to time. Also, it's got a soundpack by one of the blind players, which is nice, and can interface with a screen raeder if you use one.

Second, another hack and slash, 3 kingdoms. It's got great classes, mages get armies that follow you around, be careful not to lose control or they'll kill you; I've never found a better implementation of bard, and there's a bunch of sci-fi ones as well, including one that lets you get a parasite installed and cyborgs and such. As is fairly common on some of the lpmuds, however, eq doesn't save over logoff or reboot; this doesn't bother me, but it bothers many. Also, there's a lot of donation going on; it's free to play, but the donation perks, if I recall correctly, are significant.

If you're looking for a good rpi, dartmud's good; their e-mail thing has been broken forever, but you can play without it. Get a wizard (or whatever they call their staff) to send it; unfortunately it has to be a non-free account last I played. There's also armageddon (even more rpi, I don't know much about it), which a lot of people seem to like.

For pk, godwars2 is amazing if you're into that. As I'm not overly into pk, I don't play there anymore, but you'll never find a combat system (or even code base) like godwars2, which throws out even rooms. If you like godwars, which pretty much describes the training style you mentioned, moments of hatred is a good active one, that was supposed to have a new combat system coming online yesterday, but didn't. That should be in any day.

And, i'm going to throw this one out there just in case, with a warning. Dark legacy is pretty much the best for crafting and enchanting and making your own eq, however, the head coder is only rarely fixing bugs and no active development is going on nor is there expected to ever be again. Still, if you overlook the typos and bugs that are around if you look for them (it's not as bad as I make it sound), the final product can almost be called "finished", at least as far as a mud can be called that.

Finally, as this is quite a lengthy post, materia magica and aardwolf can't really be compared. They're wildly different; they only look similar at first. Personally, I don't overly remember aardwolf as being special, but materia magica is decent.

Also, if you look at mudconnect.com, you'll also find promotions and such there that are recent, and the mud connecter and top mud sites top 20 are always a good resource. If you're looking for playerbase, there's mudstats.com, which shows averages and such, sortable by your preferences.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Mauk

Mauk is on a distinguished road

Thanx alot both of you. Loads of info to dig in too. I have a lot of trying out infront of me.
3 kingdoms, Moments of Hatred and possibly DartMud, if i get it to work, are hot candidates.
Maybe Dark Lair and Dark Legacy too, the latter cause i do like crafting.
But first things first....putting the kids to sleep. And then the harsh RPI of social life with the missus, although thats one great thing with mud. I can play it on a cheap laptop infront of the TV and still be half present .

Cheers and thanx once again.
(I'll try to follow up in few weeks)
Mauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

To be honest if you want fun hack and slash with mapping and lots of things to do stick with Materia Magica, Aardwolf, and IRE games.

If you want PK and very well defined combat go with God Wars II.

If you would like a MUD with great quests and brain twisters try 4Dimensions.

However...

If you indeed want in depth and massive roleplay, an excellent beginning location, assistance in creation, group hunting, large invasions, massive areas, multiple and various guilds including ones that have nothing to do with combat, ships oceans and islands, easy and difficult quests and frankly the largest and most mature playerbase on the planet.

Well...

Ateraan is your world.

"New Worlds Ateraan. Play it during the day, dream about it at night."
-Jordan, Chief of Staff

Last edited by Newworlds : 10-24-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae

is a rp-enforced, level-less mud. You advance by getting better at skills. There are no classes, so you can learn most anything by just doing it, though there are some skills that are guild-specific. It takes some dedication to build up a powerful character, but there is plenty to do even as a newbie. A lot of the rp is based around the different religions, and most pk is based around the major guilds. Tons of fun quests, plus crafting, and some other neat features.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote