Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
peeshu

peeshu is on a distinguished road
is there a way to mud...

..at work?
not sure if it s firewall issue but i cant connect to any mud using telnet or any other mud client.. even ..
however from my iphone i can log in with the TMC game client using my company's wifi.
(you cant really mud from an iphone..)

any idea would be greatly appreciated. .
thanks
peeshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road
Re: is there a way to mud...

Sounds like your company network (but not the wifi?) has a firewall that blocks games.

TMC is likely on the list - although I'd be surprised if many of the individual muds were.
Which means you can probably download the mud clients, check the location using your iphone, and then connect directly from your company computer.

If that doesn't work, you can use a VPN (google it!) to connect to another computer, and your computer will then behave as if it's on the same network as the other computer you connected to - and would then be free to play. You could set up your home computer as a VPN server perhaps. Another way of achieving this would be by tunnelling using putty (again, google it)

(Of course, your work firewall may block the standard VPN ports... so you may have to experiment to discover what's open)

Cheers
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road

Sure you can, just not with the TMC app.

Also, if you enable tethering on your phone, you can play via its data connection on a desktop.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

It is likely your company has secured outgoing port connections. Verify this by jumping to NWA's java client at:

If your work is blocking game sites from browsing ateraan.com won't even come up. It is highly unlikely your work is blocking port to game sites as there is no difference between porting a data site and porting a game site. IT guys just aren't that savvy.

You are getting through on your wifi as the program and internet exploring is based on your iphone settings not your network. Your network is just a passthrough.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road

It's not at all difficult to set up a firewall to stop any data other than on ports 80, 8080, and the email ports. In fact, any self-respecting firewall gets installed with the above settings. If that's the case with your network, you won't be able to play any mud through it, even if you're using a web client (Flash and Java clients also need to be able to push data through an unorthodox port).

If you wifi into your company's network, you'll be subject to the same firewall blocks. I suspect you are able to connect on your phone because you're using 3G.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Trip

Home MUD: Deckeon
Trip is on a distinguished road

If the blocks are ip address specific on the network so that some computers are allowed access and others aren't then it's likely the wifi was overlooked.

Grab a self contained copy of a client like tintin++ or the like that will run off of a flash drive and use that. If the blocks are specific to the java client ports then you should be able to access your desired mud without much trouble unless those ports are blocked too.

Get your IT guy interested in the mud, that way he'll unblock the port. Failing that, bribe him with a can of tactical bacon.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Markov_AU

Name: Ben
Home MUD: Adventures Unlimited
Markov_AU is on a distinguished road

I tend to either have my client on a thumb-drive, use logmein.com to use my home PC, and or putty to access the ssh service on my Linux box. or just play form my blackberry if all else fails.
Markov_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

A lot of players use thumb drives for work but this doesn't help if the office blocks port connections globally. There are ways around it, but I'm suprised they block ports but not internet game sites like TMS/TMC, etc.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road

Might be that they're not actually bothered about games, as much as unsanctioned network traffic.

I'll often block all ports, but allow all websites - I don't care if they're playing a game, I *do* care if they're running bittorrent. And the easiest thing is to just say "Nothing through" then let them ask if they need something opened.

We've opened ports to allow games through (including WoW) when requested. We've also told people that we're not going to allow them access "just to play a game"
The answer depends on what sort of a mood we're in, whether they seem to have a legit reason, and most importantly, whether they seem trustworthy. A collegue who wants to play a game? No problem. Some guy we don't know asking for a swathe of ports opened obviously intending to do something we won't approve of? Not going to encourage that.
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Anjanas

Anjanas is on a distinguished road

I use a thumb drive with MUSH client at work and CMUD from home. Seems to work well.
Anjanas is offline   Reply With Quote