Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 01-23-2006, 07:34 AM   #1
Drealoth

Drealoth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Drealoth
So I've taken the plunge. I've given into the urge and decided to create my own MUD. I just ... had to. I think I'm going to base it off of CoffeeMUD. I might change my mind over the next few days and really take the plunge and write my own codebase. I think I'm a strong enough coder to do it either way, it's just a question of whether I can make myself devote the extra time.

The game will be set in a near future dystopia in the likes of William Gibson's Neuromancer, The Matrix, George Orwell's 1984 and the computer game Deus Ex (although not specifically based off of any of those). One of the big focuses that I want to have is on the NPC artificial intelligence, and using that to create a very living world. Although eventually I want it to be an RP intensive MUD, at first I think I'm going to focus on making it into an intense single player experience.

Anyway, I figured that the best thing to do would be to get my ideas on paper before I start coding, so I've been writing up a features and design document over the past week or so. Today I decided to write out how a gaming session would possibly look. It's kind of longish (at 5 pages) and it outlines how two scenarios could unfold, as if someone was actually playing. This is a preview of what I want my engine to do by the time it's done. I'll switch it to my ftp tomorrow, after I get everything working there. Until then ... yousendit. It's a .RTF file.

So, if you're willing to spend a few minutes reading it, I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry the descriptions are kind of boring, I didn't put a ton of thought into them.

EDIT: Quick explanation. Dark blue italic text is text entered by the user. The prompt
< [b|e] H:[----------] S:[-------- ] Stance: Standing >
has balance/equilibrium (yeah, it's Avalon/Iron Realms' system), Health, Stamina and Stance.

Exits are displayed as:
Open exit, no door: north
Open exit, door: (north)
Closed exit: [north]

On the map, the player is represented by the #. Mobs are represented by the yellow o. Mobs in combat are represented by the red o. Doors are represented by the blue +.

The game will be levelless and classless (silently skill based), and the only race in the game will be humans.
Drealoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
xotl

xotl is on a distinguished road
xotl is offline   Reply With Quote

So, I'm going to make a MUD... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want to make a mud, Can anyone help me with tips Tjnet88 MUD Builders and Areas 35 09-02-2008 02:37 PM
can you make weapon web ppl? UnKnOwN1205 MUD Coding 3 07-06-2004 11:54 PM
Think you can make your mark? Myra Advertising for Players 0 02-16-2004 02:53 AM
The clothes make the mob? Adelai MUD Builders and Areas 21 09-22-2003 09:33 AM
How do you make new help files? Danlor MUD Coding 9 09-05-2002 06:40 AM