Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 01-24-2003, 04:03 PM   #81
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
I think that is the best policy.

This way, there is no sneaky way around the rules and voting is not based on which mud can think of the most creative reward method.

KaVir, you raised some very interesting points but I think that topic deserves its own thread. As soon as I finish this post, I am going to start such a thread in the Advanced MUD Concepts forum.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 05:49 PM   #82
Tavish

Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
It seems to me we are saying the exact same thing, is there a something I missed?

The reason I think we see so much bitterness towards p2p games here on TMS particularly is that the listing is setup to be a competition.  Bringing out the competitive nature of the various owners is bound to set off these type of reactions.  In a way it was why I was (am) against adding restrictions as to how the votes are garnered by admins.

No matter how many restrictions you place on the way the votes are tallied, there is always bound to be some type of imbalance.  The size of the pbase the largest variable, although most anyone who looks at the list can tell how this is factored in.  But there are so many other, less-obvious ways that determine how often people vote.  The location/size of the voting link and  reminders from admins to vote are two things off the top of my head that if, used to the extremes, act in virtually the same manor as incentives, skewing the rankings away from the dedicated-player votes ( used loosely) towards the games that are using the list as a merely promotion.

Is it now immoral to ask your players to vote, to place any type of reference to the site other than the voting link?  What exactly are people wanting the list to represent?
Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 05:36 PM   #83
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Yes.

There are times when a mud developer has to choose between quality and quantity.  If your primary goal is to achieve quantity then in that case you're going to sacrifice the quality of the mud; it's simple logic.

However it is a fallacy to automatically assume that a mud with quality doesn't also have quantity (or vice versa).  In fact most commercial muds are fairly high in terms of quality, simply because it helps them achieve quantity.

And as an aside, I've never objected to commercial muds being listed here.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote