Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road
Locking skills behind guilds?

So, I've noticed a trend for a lot of RP games where skills, or even entire classes, are locked into a single roleplay group.

Commonly a guild, they're often led by a single person or group of people.

It seems to me that this limits the rp of people who want to strike out on their own or lead their own group of people.
In addition, it seems to give individuals far too much power over the progression of other players' characters.

Opinions? Thoughts? Arguments for or against the system?
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Bogre

Bogre is on a distinguished road
Re: Locking skills behind guilds?

I've felt similar to this at some times. For instance- I dabbled in a mud where classes like 'Thief' and 'Assassin' were locked to a guild, and that seems limiting and a bit ridiculous in that there were limitations on even SPEAKING about them. Because things like theft seems like any person could try their hand on it, street rats, etc. Assassins I'm a little bit more lenient on because you can argue that even the basic bits are more specialized. I'm generally much more against CLASS restriction than I am against skill restriction.

For instance- keeping the skills on how to craft chainmail of a certain alloy to a specific guild of the gameworld because they maintained the technology, or limiting the schools of magic to a certain guild, etc, I'm okay with.

It's my opinion that guilds band together to keep benefits to themselves and do things better- but rarely does it make sense for them to have a total monopoly on EVERYTHING under that umbrella.
Bogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
ww_crimson

Home MUD: Aarchon
ww_crimson is on a distinguished road

And the benefit of this is that you get classes that truly unique from each other. Yes, maybe RP wise everyone should have the ability to attempt to steal, but this type of separation makes it so that you don't have tremendous overlap between classes.
ww_crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

I think organized crime guilds make sense, but only if you're not obligated to remain with them.

What I'd really like to see out of a thief or assassin guild in an RPE is the concept of turf, whether it's a fantasy game or cyberpunk. If you're a thief with no connection to the local honorable thieves guild and you steal from someone on their turf, or rob a protected shopkeeper, they'll go after you if you won't join and pay dues. The same applies to assassins. If you join, you have to follow the rules, and if you refuse or leave after joining, you're marked.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Sometimes. Organizations are important for global or broad run roleplay (think thieves, assassins, merchants -who some would call thieves on Ateraan).

I like it both ways. On Ateraan we have set groups (guilds, religions, even Nations) that have determined goals. These groups can be clique'ish or limiting, but most involve their roleplay with the masses. Merchant and Trader guilds for example do this. Religions are all vying for political and social power so they integrate.

On a larger scale are the two distinct nations (kingdom and southland) who have always had conflict with eachtoher but economics and interaction have thwarted this to involve others.

There are also races on Ateraan that tend to be against eachother or inclusive.

The nice thing is that there are clans that can form for a specific goal or ideal and rogues that can join any group or organization. I personally believe groups are important for purpose and goals and enhance rather that deter roleplay.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
PhasmaInMachina

PhasmaInMachina is on a distinguished road

Darkacacia- The idea of turf and/or gang based conflict is quite an interesting one, particularly for a thief type class. We have some aspect of this with various guilds controlling cities but I do not think it goes far enough.

I agree that this could be a great boon to stealth classes in a game if implemented properly. Some kind of realistic organized crime/black economy type stuff for stealth classes could be great fun.
PhasmaInMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #7
aktillum

aktillum is on a distinguished road

Achaea was like this for a long time, with skills being locked to class-based guilds. You were allowed you to quit your guild with your skills intact at guildrank 3. But they moved to an auto-class system and turned guilds into Houses that accept members from multiple classes (usually 3-4 classes per House, with 3-4 Houses per city) and though a small portion of the of the playerbase cried doom and gloom and the ultimate death of RP in Achaea, the game has been much better ever since.
aktillum is offline   Reply With Quote