Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
Luthien

Home MUD: The Sea of Storms
Luthien is on a distinguished road
I've looked around a little bit, and had...well no luck finding what I've been looking for. I've had the typical "try this mud, it's great!" and of course it's nothing like what I asked for.

So...
Anyone know where I can find a MUD that:

Has no levels. (seems simple, yeah?)
May or may not have classes, not a big deal.
Has an OK pbase (prefer not to be alone all the time)
RP... I'd like something like an "encouraged" or such.

And what I'm really looking for within that is a MUD that has decent support for assassins as something interesting. Basically like an active guild doing stuff, teaching, etc.

It doesn't really seem like a tall order to fill, though nobody has been able to suggest anything yet. I'm thinking I might just have to try and put something together myself, though I'd rather put the energy into playing it.

Cheers,
-L

Luthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:15 PM   #2
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road

RP required. It meets all your other criteria.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
Kenjar

Kenjar is on a distinguished road
Heh, I love how Armageddon is always suggested in these looking-for-a-certain-mud topics. Not that it shouldn't be, I just know that if I enter one the first reply will be one from them. Someday i'll post looking for a mud with "No levels, multiclassing, no classes, remorting, and level-based equipment" and you guys will be the first ones there. Just sayin'.

Anyone, i'll supply the much-needed 'This mud only fits some of your requirements but play it anyway' post. Try Age Of Reptiles. Why? Because we need more players. But really, there is tons of good RP (There are no global channels or tells, and you can't talk- it gets VERY interesting), it dosen't have any classes, and although there aren't too many players yet there are always a few on, and with the world at it's current size there is plenty of interaction. There are levels, but they play a smaller part than in most muds; skills are more important, although the hp from levels is a must.

Also, the combat is quite unique. Although the meat of it is like most other muds (Watch the battle scroll by while tossing in extra commands), enemies must be tracked down first, and even early on give a good fight. When wounded they will begin to flee, and you have to continue tracking and chasing them until they're dead. Even if you want to mainly rp, you'll still hunt enough to raise your levels (Unless you want to starve to death).

-Kenjar, signing out.
Kenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:53 AM   #4
Ogma

Home MUD: DartMUD
Ogma is on a distinguished road
I don't know if we fit all of your criteria, but...

1) Dartmud is one of the original classless and levelless muds.
2) We have a decent pbase.
3) We are an RP mud.
4) While we have no Assassin's Guild (at the moment), we have a feudal system which employs assassins. Our gulds are player run, so an AG would have to be started by a player. Your best bet is to join a castle and become a House assassin. In fact, that's about the only way you'll learn the proper skills (unless there's a rogue assassin out there recruiting an army of evil). Unlike most muds where Thieving skills are learned as part of a profession and treated as just another class, the thieving skills are held in contempt by most players. If you want them you will have to be discrete and circumspect.
Ogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:07 PM   #5
Sacac

Sacac is on a distinguished road
Sacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's some rp encouraged leveless MUDs which claim on mudconnector to have 25+ players online.

25-49
games.dragonpro.com 6969 (adult content)
cuendillar.org 7200 (wheel of time)
vfocus.com 8888 (space)
wot.envy.com 2121 (wheel of time)

50-74
lyorn.kerch.com 4210 (based on gold digger comic book)

74-99
genesis.cs.chalmers.se 3011 (medieval fantasy)
redwall.muck.limitless.org 4203 (redwall series)

100+
arkadia.rpg.pl 23 (hope you can speak polish)
dragon realms
shangrilamush.com 9999 (adult content)

I got these using the mudconnector's advanced search. You may want to have a play with that.

Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:05 AM   #7
The Vorpal Tribble

The Vorpal Tribble is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to The Vorpal Tribble
The Vorpal Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:08 AM   #8
John

John is on a distinguished road
Also, something important that no-one specifically mentioned. Yes Armageddon does have a UK pbase. Not a very large one, but it does have one.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:34 AM   #9
Luthien

Wink

First, thanks for the suggestions to those who gave one.

Maybe I'm just too set in my ways, or lazy. I don't know. I agree with the statement that most "RP Encouraged" MUDs out there aren't really. Which makes it a little tougher for me. Yes, I like RPing. No, I do not want to spend all my time doing that to the extent that there are no public channels for ooc use, etc. I'm looking for a good melding of RP/code or ic/ooc however you want to put it; like what I have now. =-P Maybe that's just not very popular these days. Sort of causes problems.

Ahh well. Anything else out there?
Old 06-18-2004, 05:44 AM   #10
Kaleisha

Kaleisha is on a distinguished road
Here's something to try ...  Evarayn.com:23

I feel I should post it here because from what you have listed I really feel that our mud can offer you all that and plenty more. We're a relatively new mud, new enough that you won't be over powered by ancient all powerful characters, but have been around long enough to iron out the creases and develop a regular playerbase.

- Has no levels.  (seems simple, yeah?)  

We do have levels, however they do not work the way you may be used to in other code based muds. Many players choose not to level at all, instead spending their time interacting with others. We have a time system, where you will accrue skillpoints which can be used to gain abilities simply by being there, this allows players the freedom to roleplay and still be able to develop their character rather than being tied down to having to bash to level. Those that do decide they wish to level can choose from activities such as performing jobs for a city guild (these are small puzzle type games) trading commodities, hunting and bashing in dungeons which are requested by the player and customized to suit their ability.

- May or may not have classes, not a big deal.

We respect that all people are different and it is those differences are what makes life interesting and varied. We offer you the choice of 23 different skillsets, all of which are available to everyone, and a further choice of 1 out of 9 profession skillsets. You are able to create your characters skills and abilities as you desire, not dictated to you by the constraints of set guild choices

- Has an OK pbase (prefer not to be alone all the time)

Currently we have an average of around 20 - 25 players, it drops, and rises throughout a 24 hour period. This is building steadily as the news of Evarayn gets out and reaches new players.

- RP...  I'd like something like an "encouraged" or such.

Evarayn is a roleplay mud, our skillpoints system has been created to allow players to rp without worrying about gaining skills. The gods and admin encourage roleplay by sparking off events or providing small mysteries for players to get involved in. However we realise that people play games to have FUN!, and even the most dedicated roleplayers like to break role from time to time and comment to a movie they saw, ask a question or mindlessly babble. We have an ooc channel for those who wish to hear it, and as with all the channels in Evarayn, it can be turned of

- And what I'm really looking for within that is a MUD that has decent support for assassins as something interesting.

We provide Assassin and Thief as profession options, Thieves can actually steal from other players ..shocking but true!.. and Assassins have access to a bounty system which allows players to place a bounty anonymously. But be warned, the player community are the ones who smith, build ships, maintain weapons .. create the cures. Be careful who you cross, you may not be able to get repairs on your prized stiletto. Be carefull who you kill, they may have been the only sage able to gift you with renewal.

At the end of the day, not all muds will suit everyone. All I can suggest is that you give Evarayn a try, and from what you have posted here it may suit you. Check out our web site and read it through to get more of a feel for what we offer. There are a few reviews by the players posted here on TMS too.

Kaleisha
Kaleisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:36 PM   #11
Vardonyth

Vardonyth is on a distinguished road
Relatively new to TMS, but not relatively new to the mud world, you could try Elysium.  

Has no levels or classes.  Each player creates who they are from a mixture of 6 maximum allowed skills which can be learned through player run guilds or out of guild by people that are good at the skill.  
At the moment (12:45 pm eastern) there are 20 players logged in.  The only time it's quiet is very early eastern time, maybe 6 am - 9 am, then it hovers anywhere from 15-35 on at a time.
RP is encouraged and rewarded.  The code is completely custom, so it will have a significant learning curve, but feel free to ask anyone that's logged in for help.
Assassin isn't a specific skillgroup, but we do have player-stealing and a skill called 'subterfuge', which lets you sneak about undetected, backstab, and even slit throats once you get good enough at the skill.  Two guilds are specifically suited for assassins-- the rogues and the thieves.  Mixing these two together would make a pretty solid assassin char.

elysium-rpg.com, port 7777.  I think this meets all your requirements-- give it a shot.

-Vardonyth
Vardonyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:28 PM   #12
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Now why is it that every time someone posts with specific criteria, a bunch of responses are posted that ignore those criteria?

Someone says they want a MUD without levels, and people post about MUDs with levels.  Do you just not read the posts or do you think that maybe they'll just compromise and go to your MUD anyway?

In response to the original post, I'm not sure that there is a MUD that meets those exact requirements.  I can think of a few that meet three (the RP "encouraged" being the problem, the one's I'm thinking of are "enforced"), and many of those that have already been listed are close.  My best suggestion to you is to try an advanced search on TMS and TMC.  Then sift through the results (if there are any), visiting their webpages and finding out which (if any) actually do meet the criteria you want (I've come across a few MUDs that advertise themselves as level-less, yet possess levels so it's always good to do research before wasting your time playing them).  In the end you may have to compromise on one of your criteria or go ahead build that MUD, thus filling that niche for people looking for exactly what you are.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:32 PM   #13
Luthien

That seems to be pretty much the opinion I've had so far.  I don't really want to try a place "sight unseen" so to speak, as in, they don't really have a website or such.

I haven't really been impressed by a lot of what's been posted as suggestions so far, though one or two might have been fairly close.  I don't know.
If I could find others who wanted in, I'd probably be willing to make it, but more likely than not I'll just either compromise, or try to get something going at the place I admin for now.

Thanks to everyone who's suggested things so far.  Keep them coming if you have them though.  =-)
Old 06-22-2004, 12:19 AM   #14
Scrier

Scrier is on a distinguished road
Ok, you pretty much described Awake 2062 perfectly, assuming you like a Cyberpunk setting with bits of fantasy.

Has no levels.  (seems simple, yeah?)
Awake uses 3rd edition Shadowrun rules, hence, no levels.

May or may not have classes, not a big deal.
Doesn't really have classes, but most people fall into one of a few categories.

Has an OK pbase (prefer not to be alone all the time)
Usually get around 30 players on at a time, or in very very slow points, it can drop to around 6.

RP...  I'd like something like an "encouraged" or such.
We're currently RP encouraged. We a global OOC channel, and a healthy dose of RPing.

On the front of assassins, I can't claim that we have that, but there is a profit to be made from taking jobs involving assassination.

Scrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:06 PM   #15
fjin

fjin is on a distinguished road
has those, and I would add that, because it is based of HârnMaster rules, and HârnWorld, it has realistic rules.

Bonus: It doesn's have D&D style idiotic Hit Points - instead it has realistic wounds.
Those wounds heal up very quickly (to my realism taste), but it takes a while still to come in fit. That healing speed is up at discussions from time to time.

HârnWorld has "The God of Assassins"
fjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:55 PM   #16
Passthedounut

Passthedounut is on a distinguished road
What about a mud that has...

No levels (not too bothered so long as it is original or something)
Intense and indepth Fighting (such as equilibrium or maybe an even better one)
Classless or guilds
restricted pk or pk
Largely free (not like it is free but for it to be any good you need to pay real money)
Passthedounut is offline   Reply With Quote

Why can't I find a MUD like this? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me find a mud! caspin00 Newbie Help 16 09-10-2004 11:45 PM
How did you find your current MU*? OnyxFlame Tavern of the Blue Hand 13 04-10-2003 10:18 PM
Trying to find a skill Keljorian MUD Coding 4 02-22-2003 11:04 AM
Did the little lost kid find his way...? Dauthi Introduce Yourself 2 08-02-2002 01:18 PM
Anyone know where I can find.... Brianna MUD Builders and Areas 4 05-31-2002 02:17 PM