Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 08-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough
MCCP 3

I'd like to announce the MCCP3 protocol which I created mostly for my own purposes and I figured it might be of use to others. While MCCP2 compresses data sent from the server to the client MCCP3 compresses data sent from the client to the server.

MCCP2 uses telnet code 86, MCCP3 uses telnet code 87.

MCCP2 and MCCP3 are both described on this protocol page:

Client MCCP3 support has been added to TinTin++ 2.01.8 which runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, and Android.

Server MCCP3 support has been added to MTH which can also run stand alone in case someone needs to debug server side MCCP3 support.

While compression ratios aren't very impressive for the typical MUD server's use case, MCCP3 adds a little bit of security through obscurity by no longer sending passwords and messages as plain text.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
Vadi

Vadi is on a distinguished road
Re: MCCP 3

Tangentially related, does TinTin++ support secure telnet connections over TLS? It's something we do support and hope to see others pick up on.
Vadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
scandum

It does, I added TLS support to TinTin++ 5 years ago.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
Vadi

Vadi is on a distinguished road

Nice! I should have looked first.
Vadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Istarian

Istarian is on a distinguished road

I feel like this is rather confusing on a conceptual level.

If MCCP stands for 'Mud Client Compression Protocol' then doesn't MCCP1/2 being only the server compressing data conflict with the naming? I mean I guess it could be interpreted as compressing the output of a MUD FOR the client...

Separately, is MCCP3 then an extension of MCCP2 that compresses both the Server=>Client and Client=>Server communications or a separate protocol that only handles the latter?

I think if it's a completely separate protocol, then it really should have a different name because versioning "rules" imply that it's an updated version of the same protocol. And with that kind of implication it would make sense to start with MCCP2 and "upgrade" to MCCP3 if supported as opposed to separately enabling them.

It would make more logical sense to call them...
MCCP - Mud (to) Client Compression Protocol
CMCP - Client (to) Mud Compression Protocol
or
MCCP - Mud Compression (for) Clients Protocol
CCMP - Client Compression (for) MUDs Protocol

What other rationale is there for this besides a kind of security through obscurity?

P.S.

It seems you need to fix your link to the mud codebase comparisons from:

TO

Also, your mudpedia link leads gets a site unreachable error and per archive.org snapshots seems to have been dead since 2012.
Istarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #6
scandum

Thanks, I fixed the links.

As per the specification:

The reason for the announcement was primarily for dibs that TELOPT 87 is in use.

The rationale is compression. Like I mentioned, it won't be overly useful to the typical MUD, but it's useful for those using my software.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
SlySven

Home MUD: WoTMUD
SlySven is on a distinguished road

I don't get this - MCCP1 (and indeed 2) is all about compressing the data flow in one direction - and - like most protocols on Telnet it should be negotiated on that basis - so, if there is the capability to compress the data going in the other direction, that should be negotiated in exactly the same way but with the parties that use DO and WILL being swapped over.

I admit that getting one's head around negotiating the option in both directions at the same time is [delete]bloody[/delete] extremely confusing...
SlySven is offline   Reply With Quote