Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 02-05-2005, 02:29 AM   #1
Ipslore

Ipslore is on a distinguished road
To put it more accurately, a newbie-friendly Tolkein MUD nased around the Third Age. Preferably one with a large world.
Ipslore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
If you are interested in RP, there is SoI(Shadows of Isildur), an RPI based completely around Tolkien's world(It's 2468 in game right now, so well before LOTR takes place). Playing in SoI is almost like entering Tolkien's world yourself. The possibilities are limitless, you can be anything from a warrior, to a slave(in Morgul), to a crafter who might even own their own shop. However, if you want a mud where you just walk around killing mobs and stuff, SoI is not for you.

Oh, and too my knowledge, SoI is the ONLY Tolkien Mud that has gained permission from Tolkien Enterprieses to continue running, so any other Tolkien Mud is able to run only because they aren't popular enough to gain TE's attention and maybe be shut down once they are.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Ipslore

Mucked up my chances of making an LOTR MUD myself then. Wonder why, most MUD's are free.

Oh well, I'll carry on playing MUME. I am already a Gondorain on Shadows Of Isildur.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Jenred

Jenred is on a distinguished road
Jenred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:20 AM   #5
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
SoI was free(not even pay for perks) but the TE lawyers came anyway. They can get very picky about using their stuff without their permission. Almost closed down the mud but Traithe was able to get a settlement but had to shut the mud down for a good long time while the aggreements were being reached.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 05:46 AM   #6
Ipslore

Again, I'm playing Elendor, at least waiting for acceptance into the Shirefolk. I think the Shire is a good place to start.