Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 07-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
The review in its entirety:

I shall now offer my rebuttal, which it seems will be rehashing some things I posted in response to the last review.

AR's players are able to choose a race, class, alignment, and ethos. This gives them four different things to roleplay as soon as they create. In addition to that, hometowns have their own personality and players can draw off that for background to represent that they are from the particular hometown, as soon as they create. Now that's the simple roleplay stuff out of the way. I'll move on to the cabals.

Cabals our muds version of clans, and they bring people with a common cause together. Each cabal is associated with a unique hometown. Each cabal's goal is to bring a form of stabiliy to the mud (the only cabal which actually demand killing being the Knights of Valour, who limit this to murderous players only, and under a code of honor). There are four cabals.

Now, since cabals are in the mould of needing to know how to fight, we took the liberty of providing them pacifistic "little brother" subordinate organisations that those cabals are responsible for protecting. So even if you can't PK worth beans, there's an organisation that needs you for your roleplay skills, and its protected by people who can. There are four subordinate organisations, one related to each cabal. These are particulaly rich in roleplaying opportunity, as I'm sure the more experienced rpers of the MUD will happily testify. Not everybody on AR is a great PKer, or even a competent one, but everybody has to learn to use their legs to run. Its the least you can do to avoid being killed by mobs not just players.

That is not to say the MUD is completely cabal focused at all. An independent player is welcome to start up his own clan and we've seen this happen several times recently. For example we had a band of "Darksorrows", which if I recall right was a drow order. We also had an impromptu band of pirates hold the playerbase to ransom simply making them hand over their gold in return for peace. This group was actually more influential than any cabal at some point. Completely ungrouped players can still hang out with the subordinates for social contact and, if they want to play the game alone, then we have "quests" implemented to help them to immerse themselves in the environment.

As if it wasnt easy enough to enjoy a peaceful roleplaying experience on Abandoned Realms, our Justice cabal has been gifted with the ability to make criminals of people who attack within the most popular town. This is not a typically enjoyable experience for any would-be looter, since Justice special guards don't pay attention to the exp-based PK ranges that normally ensure characters in PK are close to each others level. Safety is usually just a recall potion away. Not to mention that every class has a unique guildhall which only their class may enter, allowing them to hide behind a pretty high level mob for added protection. The difficulty of this mob is a deterrent to just about all the low level killing.

Course, there's other ways to avoid the dying, like just learning the way around and using your legs. But basically, given the right conditions (some of which are described above), there is no need.

Players are not required to explain the reasons to their victims to other players when they do their killing, but they are expected to be able to justify them to Immortals upon demand. An Immortal may make such a demand if, for example, a player prays or writes a complaint note about other players engaging in pointless killing. Personally I have banned people from the MUD for pointless killing and I certainly won't hestitate to ban some more when I see that it is required.

That said, there exists a few reasons why no explanation would be given, and those reasons are roleplaying ones. For example guilds that are obviously evil (dark-knights) and obviously good (paladins) are expected to be at loggerheads. The same goes for certain races - elves and drows, and dwarf and duergar both harbinge grudges for each other. Nobody likes vampires, and frankly neither do they. If a player doesnt want to be killed without an explanation, then he can by all means avoid the race/classes that CAN be killed without one. Neutral human rangers spring to mind.

As for the looting, here are some legitimate reasons why people may loot you on AR:

* they wish to sell/wear your items
* they want to stop you pasting them back in 10 minutes

Neither of these reasons require the player to be an #######. That said, we have implemented restrictions on looting to help low level players. If the player is killed in lower ranks, his killers may only take one item from the corpse at a time, and he must use the item's NAME. This gives plenty of time for people to retrieve corpse with nearly everything intact, especially if the victim had used the ever-helpful recall potion and died near where they respawn in town. In addition to that, our OUTFIT command (used in those protective guildhalls I earlier wrote about) provides players with a set of randomly generated items. They're not great items that'll let you rebound as good as you were before death, but it'll get you back on your feet for getting some better ones. Of course, its better to worry about how to avoid the deaths in the first place, then this relatively mild problem won't even need dealing with.

We apologise for Tatsai's disappointing experience, and wish him the best at his next MUD.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
Kinnith

Kinnith is on a distinguished road
Im going to say this, and I dont say it much, but shut the **** up.

The review system is there for a reason, if everyone repsonded to a review that they didnt like, and or felt
made their mud look bad; Well, thats all our fourms
would be, now wouldnt they?

Sit back, and Eat a bad review, anyone that judges
a mud on one review doesnt need to play your game
anyways.
Kinnith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Or, to put it a tad more diplomatically:

Fight bad publicity with good publicity, rather than defensiveness. Don't counterargue in the Tavern of the Blue Hand. Post about the positives in an Advertising for Players post. My two cents.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #4
PinkFloyd

PinkFloyd is on a distinguished road
So you are a proud owner and coder of a MUD eh? I don't think you'll be very successful in getting people to play your mud if you spew forth such diatribe.
PinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #5
Davairus

I don't see why its wrong to answer a review here, since the review system doesnt have its own means of reply. I'll even help code in one if you guys want.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
Brody
Legend

Smile

I think the very valid, if overly hostile, point made by the other poster is that if MUD owners responded to EVERY negative review about their game, we'd see nothing but defensive responses from MUD owners about their games. The MUD review section doesn't allow for rebuttals, but it DOES allow you or your players to post YOUR OWN REVIEWS. So, rather than spamming the bulletin board with threads that'll get flamed, why not just write your own review and put it with the rest of the reviews if you're not going to do the other reasonable thing I suggested, which is to promote your game in the Advertising For Players section.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:33 AM   #7
Kinnith

Kinnith is on a distinguished road
I am, I am quite proud of what I do, and I enjoy it.

Me as you say it "spew forth diatribe", is of no consequence
as to me getting players within my game, as I have said within
the start of my post, that I do not do that much, let alone on the fourms.

I choose to go the direct, very to the point while typing and
or talking with people I know. Most play as RP muds, as well
mine is not, and much worse than my post is quite many seen
within the channels of my game.

I just find it quite unbearable to see a post clouding the top
five threads about a bad review, in which is what comes with
dealing with bad players.

As I dont feel dragging this needless post on any longer than
it needs to be, I will not be replying to this post any further;

But first, to answer the question of Davairus, I dont belive its
wrong to reply to a review within the fourms, I just find it
very upsetting to see something as such on the fourm trying
to defend their mud, when a bad review pops up.

This is again, all I will speak of in this thread.
Kinnith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:34 AM   #8
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Reviews represent the reviewer's opinion.  If you disagree with their opinion of a game, write a review yourself giving your own opinion. However, rebuttal to every negative post is nothing but spam.  If we've seen your first rebuttal, we know your position and we don't need to read it again.  And as far as the negative reviews go, most readers will be able to sort through them and sift the facts from the opinion.  I'd wager most people are intelligent enough to at least consider that a review is opinion and not fact (if they try your MUD and find the reviewer's claims to be correct, maybe it is fact, but that's your problem, not theirs).  If you get several negative reviews, try taking the time to read what they said and try to address their issues in the way your MUD is designed/run instead of wasting your time writing a rebuttal.

Take care,

Jason

P.S.--After reading the review and your rebuttal and looking over my own notes on your MUD, which I've tried twice, I found myself in agreement with the reviewer on AR and RP.  It doesn't sound like a good role-playing environment, unless you're roleplaying a video game character from Doom (good ol' Doom, my first and still favorite first-person shooter).
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:58 AM   #9
Davairus

I've asked the administrator to turn reviews for Abandoned Realms off. If you have a review, you can post it at TMC, where they're moderated and we can reply to them.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:38 PM   #10
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Player submitted reviews (both positive and negative) are utterly worthless. They are complete rubbish.

They are either fanboi suck ups or troll slander (note: fanbois and trolls are the same species).

If it weren't for the fact that they generate traffic, I'd suggest that they be removed entirely.

Any serious game operator turns them off because they know what total trash they are.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #11
Brody
Legend

Smile

A serious game operator doesn't eliminate a venue of free advertising. If you're worried about people saying bad things, always keep in mind they have MANY forums in which to post them. Some people DO pay attention to the reviews and, at the very least, may go to a game to check out if it's as bad as advertised - or if it was just a hack job.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #12
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
I am in 100% agreement with you.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:02 AM   #13
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
It has nothing to do with people saying bad things. If it was just that, then you'd be right: all news is good news.

First, players get upset when some jerk lies about their game and posts a bunch of BS. Then they feel compelled to post replies on these forums, or flood enough reviews to counter-act it, etc. I want my players having FUN playing our game. I don't want them stressing over or feeling bad about some troll's review.

Second, the reviews are bad because of the "good" ones as well. Fanbois get OUT of control. They make outlandish claims in good reviews- sometimes false. They also often expect some kind of tangible gratitude from the game/game admins for their loyal support. When you catch a fanboi cheating, they'll give lame excuses like "but I sent 5476901231 positive reviews to TMS/TMC/site of the month." Remember: Fanbois and trolls are the same thing. They are unbalanced, crazed, lunatics engaging in totally inappropriate behavior.

Third, there is a big difference between "saying bad things" and outright defamation. If someone has a successful game, then the trolls and jealous wanks will do everything they can to attack it- including devoting their lives to posting as many false, defamatory (a bit redundant) things they can about the mud, its admins, and its players.

Fourth, (somewhat implied already) it is the personal attacks that trolls use that are far more damaging than "saying bad things" about the game. Such things should not be tolerated in "reviews", but they happen constantly via player reviews.

That is why any serious game operator should do the smart thing and turn them off.

It doesn't matter if the reviews you are turning away are good, bad, or somewhere in between. There are huge negatives about all of them and barely any positives.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:22 AM   #14
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
AR is a mud where there's a mob in the newb area with uber 1337 eq and one with no eq, and it's like "try to be like the dude with uber 1337 eq". The whole focus of the game from what I've seen was on mob bashing, pk, and eq ammassing. As soon as I got online, somebody sent me a tell "wanna group" and then that was followed by me following him around while he never said or emoted anything ICly, while he talked OOCly "let's go here, there's such and such eq you're gonna need, let's kill these mobs, the give lot's of xp/gold". I was hoping this person was just an exception, but then I read the forums, and it was all about pking and one person was like "I was attacked by a bandit and the guard was right there and didn't help" and the guard responded with "I had to go level up some with a friend".

Of course, this was maybe a year ago? A lot of stuff could have changed in that time.

I didn't write the review(I only review games that I've played recently), but if you're gonna talk about how bad somebody's review is, I guess I'll follow up by talking about how accurate it was.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:17 PM   #16
Davairus

I think you're entitled to respond to my response, and wouldn't try to deny you the right to doing so. Though if you wish us to take any notice of your review response, you will need to post it at TMC where it is moderated and we can reply back. Complaints about the MUDs gameplay may also be posted on our forums, in the thread we have set aside for this specific purpose. You have our apologies for any time you feel was wasted at Abandoned Realms.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #17
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
We've always allowed our players a voice through reviews. Some have chosen to write negative things. If you scroll through our archives, you'll see we leave those up. Many more of our reviews are positive, but only a tiny fraction are 100% glowing. The clear majority have both good and bad things to say, and we think that as a group they provide a good description of our game.

This is true of many games- while any one review may be spurious, if you read several, you get a feel for the game. That's all they're intended to do.

Part of our positive experience with the review process might be that we tend to draw an older playerbase (*) than many games. But we also make an effort to treat our players like adults, which includes letting them speak. Deriding their contributions as "utterly worthless" and "complete rubbish" is inaccurate and beyond arrogant.

(*) I can't prove this. Just an impression from interacting with the playerbase and some informal surveying.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #18
Brody
Legend

Smile

I couldn't agree more. Saying you're not a serious game operator if you allow reviews of any kind is akin to a movie director claiming you can't call yourself serious unless you ban all fan criticism, good or bad. People talking about your game, movie, book ... whatever ... IS good advertising, and free.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:03 PM   #19
viggs

viggs is on a distinguished road
Ive been playing AR for ummm four years or so , three maybe.? It is by far the most balanced PK mud there is, Our learning curve is a bit high too, which might explain why some get frustraded , I am sure he wrote the review after getting Pwned and was ****ed. but I bet hes addicted and comes back too!!!  RP is there if you want it and take part in it , Just to recap my post for the non ramblings readers.
AR is the Most balanced Pk Mud there is ,
Welcome, You will never be the same.

PS And last year is along time ago for AR!! Check out our changes to combat and defence.
viggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #20
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
For whatever it's worth, mud admins may want to consider that 7 of the top 10 MUDs on TMS have reviews turned off, and all of the top 4 have reviews turned off. There's a reason for that and it may be worth learning from the experience of some of the people who are the best at promoting their MUDs. I also note that Dragonrealms has reviews turned off, though Gemstone doesn't (though no review for Gemstone has been posted in well over a year).

Take it for whatever you think it's worth.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote

Latest Abandoned Realms Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Abandoned Realms review Davairus Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 06-19-2005 11:41 AM
Latest Armageddon Review Gaare Tavern of the Blue Hand 11 06-07-2005 04:10 AM
The latest Armageddon review... WarHound Tavern of the Blue Hand 10 05-22-2005 10:36 PM
Latest Armageddon MUD Review Sanvean Advertising for Players 0 03-08-2004 11:29 AM
Latest Abandoned Realms review Davairus Advertising for Players 0 02-07-2003 08:55 PM