Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 09-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Vardonyth

Vardonyth is on a distinguished road
Elysium RPG (elysium-rpg.com, port 7777) is a mud thats around 8 years old and has a fairly strong player base (20-30 people on regularly) and we are looking for some more people to come and RP with us!

Elysium is 100% custom and is 100% free (you may pay to studyoffline, which will allow you to gain some lessons while not connected but with increased requirements). The 9 cities are completely player run (outside of some very minor Imm influence in the form of patroning), with one emperor and 8 positions (5 ministries and 3 helpers) for players. If a newbie knows their place, they will be helped openly when they ask questions. If they demand that people cart them around, or act improperly (like using IC globals for OOC chatting) they will irritate many of the veterans and probably not receive a whole lot of help, though I would assume this would be the case anywhere that is RP encouraged. For instance, it’s usually a bad idea to tell the Emperor of your city to ‘shut his hole’ when he offers you assistance.

The 15 guilds are completely player run. A large majority of them are auto-inguilding and most newbies will be able to join the guild of their choice right out of the gate. Each guild has 3 skills. You do not lose skills when you leave a guild (unless you purposely forget them). You can also learn skills out of guild (at +50% the lesson cost). There are around 30 skills in the game which you can mix and match as you wish. There are a number of abilities (roughly 16, some have more) within each skill, and you are fairly free to learn the skills in whatever order you wish (as in you don’t just ‘study swordplay’ and get the next skill in a list, you pick what you learn).
Though some hardcore role-players may look down on folk that learn skills just because they are powerful or pick skills that have nothing to do with each other (for example, a thief-mage-warrior-bard-crafter) there are no restrictions on your set of 6 skills that you can learn.

Lessons are how you learn skills. You receive one lesson every 2.5 hours you are connected to the game. If you choose to study offline, you get one lesson every 6.66 hours while you are not connected. This may seem like a long time between lessons at first, but believe me—they come a lot faster than they seem. One day you’ll type ‘score’ and realize you have 50 lessons!

Combat is quite different here than most muds. Most muds have a ‘kill’ system in that you just ‘kill critter’ and do mid-rounders from time to time. Elysium does not go by an automated killing system. Elysium uses a balance system. Each attack takes you off balance and you must wait until you regain balance. Some skills take you off balance longer than others. Every balance ‘round’ gives you a chance to do something different. You parried the incoming slice this round? How about you break your opponent’s arm next round so he can’t slice you anymore?

The world is divided into 3 large continents housing the 9 cities. Occid, the northwestern continent, is home to the dwarves, goblins, and orcs. Orien, the northeastern continent, is home to the specter and the Cyclops. Polaris, the southern continent (and the largest) is home to humans, elves, hamakei, and spawn. Skilled mages can teleport between continents using magical artifacts, but most people will simply choose to sail, using a variety of ships. Clippers are quick but sink easily; trawlers are slow and trawl for fish as you sail; galleons and man o wars are powerful war ships with strong hulls and cannons you can fire at pirates or sea monsters!

Sprinkled throughout the large ocean are several islands, some of which hold powerful items that will give you assistance, such as a necklace that gives you more hit points or a ring that will let you locate people or objects. You might choose to be a fisherman and make your money by sailing your trawler over the ocean and selling your catch to the city of your choice, but beware… as you travel the sea, you may encounter great sea serpents that are fiercely territorial, and will likely not appreciate your presence in their areas! Should you manage to slay one with your cannons, you can collect a 10,000 coin bounty once you come back to a dock.

The room descriptions are all individually written and are very helpful—if you are on a road, there may be 6 exits, but the room desc will tell you exactly where to go to follow the road. This is very helpful until you learn your way through the wilderness. The roads are winding and it is very rare to have a room with just two exits. The rooms are designed well and laid out logically, so it’s fairly hard to get lost. Players can build their own areas, complete with huntable creatures, at the cost of a few coins.

The RP in Elysium is quite good. I urge new players to read the help file on the race they are thinking about picking. Having a well-mannered, intelligent Cyclops goes strictly against what the help file describes cyclopses as (“Cyclops are considered to be the least intelligent race”) or having a spawn that wants to be helpful, peaceful healers (“The Spawn are demons who have been bound to Elysium within mortal bodies.” … “Spawn have an intense hatred of all other races”). You cannot delete characters, so make sure you know what you want to be before you use your favorite character name! There are not a large amount of RP Nazis that will ridicule you if you don’t RP to their exact idea of what a spawn should be, though, so you are free to your own interpretation of what your character should be.
Keep Shouts and says in character, and use the OOC chat and tells for out of character discussion. Tells are a grey ground, and can be used for IC information, but OOC chat is purely for OOC discussion and is strictly enforced.

Feel free to give us a shot. The players are helpful, and there’s always someone around to ask questions to. You’ll be glad you did.

My char name in Elysium is the same as my posting name, and I'm the emperor of Karinthia, so feel free to ask me any questions you may have.
Vardonyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:51 AM   #2
cron0s

cron0s is on a distinguished road
cron0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
Vardonyth

I've never played Avalon, so I don't really know. I'll take my 'innovative' comment out if it really bothers you that much...
Old 09-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I think the broader point is that it's silly to take jabs at other systems like:

, when the idea of discrete actions in the absence of discrete 'rounds' is native to a game that started in 1989. Whether or not you were aware of such systems by the time Elysium was founded in 2002, it's a bit silly to mock other people for using them as well.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
Vardonyth

Elysium was founded in 1996.

The reason for my statement was because I know of people that have come played Elysium then started their own self-proclaimed 'innovative' muds that basically ripped us off. I'm not implying we invented balance based combat, and I'm not implying that every mud that uses balance came to Elysium to get the idea first, or that Elysium thought about it before Avalon. However, since you're the second person to get feisty over it, I'll just remove the line as to not offend anyone that misinterperets my meaning. I came here to make a request for players, not to start a flame war.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Your TMS entry lists "Date MUD Opened" as "June 1998".

Also worth noting is that your lists you as a circle derivative. Presumably you started over at some point since then, but that does tie in rather interestingly with the thread about . It might make an interesting topic to raise on that thread.

Finally, I'm not sure what all the amazement is about this 'balance' concept - isn't it basically the same as the WAIT_STATE approach used by stock Diku?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
l3gacy

l3gacy is on a distinguished road
I play Elysium too, it's a fun mud.

Date opening and date founded are not the same. Coding from scratch began in 1996, and it opened to the public in 1998.

Chameroslin is not a programmer and was simply confused. He also claims there are 10 races, which is not true-- there are 9. Simply put, it is not a circle derivative and was coded from scratch, and the code is 100% original.

Not sure about the WAIT_STATE since I don't program but I've played several muds and have only seen a couple with balance systems. I prefer the balance system to a 'kill and wait' system like ROM.
l3gacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I played another game that had this a while ago, and it was functionally the same as that. They essentially used the DIKU model with the automated "basic" attacks turned off, and skills (with their own wait_states) added to replace them.

There's pluses and minuses to both. At the end of the day, I found that the balance system slowed the overall pace of combat quite a bit. That may be good or bed depending on how much combat you typically see while playing.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:52 PM   #9
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
As far as I know, Avalon was easily the first MUD to use this particular system, and they took the idea of it from a pen & paper combat system (just like they and virtually every other MUD has taken many things, like the ideas of health, mana, and orcs, for instance. Avalon even had "Uruk hai" as well as spell texts taken verbatim from Lord of the Rings, though they eventually removed those I believe.)

I want to say the game they took the idea from was En Garde (the pen and paper game/dice game, not the Reiner Knizia card game) but I'm not really sure offhand. I had a copy of it a looonngg time ago when Avalon's owner and I lived together, but looking at what comes up for an En Garde game search on google, it doesn't appear to be the same game. I might have the name wrong too.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
Galleus

Home MUD: Aetolia, the Midnight Age
Galleus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Galleus
I'm not positive, but you may be referring to the En Garde! RPG published by the Game Designers' Workshop in the 70's and republished by SFC Press in 1988. Swashbuckling turn based game, set in 17th century France I believe.
Galleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
The WAIT_STATE is what ROM uses, and it is a balance system - you enter a combat command, that command is executed, and you are then unable to enter another command for a period of time. It's rather nasty because it prevents all further input, creating a lag-like effect - and as it's bound to the connection rather than the character, you can clear it by logging on with another session. The automated combat tends to determine the majority of damage caused, but as Valg points out it would be a simple matter to disable it and provide a few basic attack commands instead; the balance system is already there (and has been there since the earliest version of Diku, which was released the same year Avalon was opened), it's just being overshadowed by the additional automated system.

I did some searching, and came up with an old review for it which briefly mentions the combat:

There's also some sort of PBEM which gives a bit more detailed info - here's the duelling table:

And here's an example of duelling orders:

So in order to perform a lunge routine, you'd do the actions Rest-Lunge-Rest. It rather reminds me of Richard Bartle's game, where - for example - you'd do the actions Wave-Fingers-Palm in order to cast a 'cause light wounds' spell (in fact I notice that Bartle even mentions having played En Garde! at the time).

However both of the above systems result in the attacks being performed at the end of the sequence, while the balance approach results in them being performed at the beginning. I can see the latter being appropriate for spell and special power cooldowns (much like it is in Warcraft III), but I find the former a far better solution for combat moves.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote

Elysium RPG - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elysium RPG- Now with Half the Lag! Vardonyth Advertising for Players 0 11-17-2004 12:41 PM
Elysium RPG-- We Need Crafters Vardonyth Advertising for Players 2 10-28-2004 10:39 AM
Elysium RPG macdaddy7 Advertising for Players 0 09-21-2003 04:23 PM
Elysium macdaddy7 Advertising for Players 7 07-24-2003 01:33 PM