Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Massively.com article about Threshold RPG

This is something we are really excited about so I wanted to pop in and share it with everyone.

A few weeks ago a writer from Massively.com discovered our game and started playing. He enjoyed himself so much (primarily the deep roleplay environment) that he decided to write a feature article about .

He also is clearly a big fan of MUDs in general, and feels they still have a lot to offer the gaming ecosystem. That's pretty important stuff coming from a writer at one of the biggest MMORPG web sites out there.

Here's some stuff from his article about Threshold:

Obviously we are especially psyched because this is about Threshold, but the same writer previously wrote articles about Batmud and Gemstone IV too. I think it is great that we aren't the only ones singing the praises of MUDs and perhaps the building disappointment so many gamers feel for the modern crop of MMOs will work in our favor.

Last edited by Threshold : 05-28-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road
Re: Massively.com article about Threshold RPG

Looks like the person liked your MUD, threshold, but it wasn't a completely glowing review.

I wonder what the article meant by 'needed tweaks' and 'a lot that is lacking'.

Do you have plans to improve the website, or host a real map?
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Threshold
Legend

Well the state of modern game journalism is such that you can't really expect a "glowing" review unless you're paying for it. If writers gush too much about a game the readers throw a fit about it being unbalanced.

Given that fact, the praise he heaped upon us was something we were very excited about - especially since Massively.com primarily covers fully graphical MMORPGs. To get that kind of praise from a graphical MMORPG web site is something we were very pumped about. I'm certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

From what he wrote, and from speaking with him on Threshold, the primary issues were the map, our antiquated web site, and the need for more information to help newbies jump into the game. Those are all extremely fixable issues. We just finished a detailed new player tutorial video, for example.

Most definitely. The new web site was actually already in development. We have been redoing all of our company web sites actually.

For example:

We also finished a new web site for our latest game, Coin 'n Carry:

Threshold's new web site was last partly because with such an established player base we didn't feel it had the same sense of urgency. But that has changed due to this article on Massively.com and also a really great convention experience we just had as a sponsor of here in Lexington, KY.

As for the map, we can't do much about an in-game ascii map for people using proportional fonts. But we are going to get some better maps for the cities on our new web site and a few other things to help people out as far as figuring out where they are. But we don't want to go too far there, because exploration, learning your way around, and getting lost are features, not bugs. Nowadays, those things barely exist in online RPGs so we don't want to lose that.

Last edited by Threshold : 05-29-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Ghostcat

Great! I'm always happy to see games actively working to improve on their flaws.

One of these days, I'll be trying Threshold.
Maybe after my wedding? Dunno.

Oh, how's the Primordiax playerbase doing lately? I tried it, but it was too small with too much of a focus on cooperation to work out with my odd schedule.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Threshold
Legend

We are going to announce something pretty cool about Primordiax soon. Its a secret for now.

I think Threshold is a great game, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a whole lot better. The only way that is possible is if we keep an open mind and accept that its not perfect. We take all the feedback we get, reflect on it thoughtfully, and when appropriate we make changes.

Beau from Massively made some great suggestions and we are psyched to respond to them to the benefit of all our players and potential new players.

What is really great is that he focused a lot of his feedback on the new player experience. That is something that is tough for us to analyze since our familiarity with the game is extreme.

After 16 years its about time, ya know!

Playing that is... no idea how long it took you to get married.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Ghostcat

I hear you there. My home MUD is extremely daunting for new players, and the staff are trying to revamp the newbie experience to help without creating a 'mud school' area.

To give you some idea how different it is, this is a slightly outdated commandlist:

And here's the main city map:

One thing they've done is create a delivery system for people level 10 and under. You go to the office and ask for work, and the NPC gives you a package for a random shop in town. You then get incentive to wander around and find it!

Well shoot, can't wait to find out if it means more players

Last edited by Ghostcat : 05-30-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Threshold
Legend

That is both awesome and terrifying at the same time.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Ghostcat

Yeah, I still get lost in the backstreets sometimes xD

Is primordiax down? I just tried connecting.

Last edited by Ghostcat : 05-30-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

That's the sort of area that could definitely benefit from a graphical in-game map, IMO.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Ghostcat

I think that'd be pretty hard to code, since interiors are accessed by non-compass exits.

Door, Archway, Gate.

Gate then door then archway...
Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Threshold
Legend

Anyone have any idea why this thread doesn't show up in the actual MUD Announcements forum even though it looks like it should?