Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 08-12-2003, 04:22 PM   #41
Ebony

Ebony is on a distinguished road
Shyntlara's got a point... it's fun to argue with a god.

Who knows, maybe I can be as wise as him one day...
Ebony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:24 AM   #42
SoulTorn

SoulTorn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to SoulTorn Send a message via AIM to SoulTorn Send a message via MSN to SoulTorn Send a message via Yahoo to SoulTorn
Races are a weird thing.

DragonRealms has....11, currently.(Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Gor'Tog. Elothean, S'Kra Mur, Gnome, Kaldar, Prydaen and Rakash)

Every now and then the argument of 'new races' comes up. Some people want them...some don't.

They're currently planning to add a few more in DR2 and there's a metric crapload of discussion on which races people want/demand.

How many is too many, though?

Tricky question, that.

Does your MUD lean more towards RP? If so...however many your world can support. Also however many you can write up history and such for.

Does your MUD lean more towards...whatever?(heh) If so...how much diversity(stat/skill-wise) can you manage to code in? Seems silly to create RaceX1...only to have RaceX2 which is only a minor variation of RaceX2.(Half-races being the exception...but those are best kept limited)

Keep in mind...this is from a non-builder perspective. Feel free to call me an idiot.

-SoulTorn D.
SoulTorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:28 AM   #43
SoulTorn

Send a message via ICQ to SoulTorn Send a message via AIM to SoulTorn Send a message via MSN to SoulTorn Send a message via Yahoo to SoulTorn
Forgot to add a link to the DragonRealms races, so you don't get so confused.

-SoulTorn D.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:54 PM   #44
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Wow, Soultorn, youwent back to the original question... I think I may faint!

When you ask if the MUD leans more to RP, I assume you mean the MUSH variety where not much significance is placed on stats, abilities, whatever. (I don't know many MUD admins who would admit that their MUDs do not lean to RP.) In any event, I'm hoping to develop a MUD that's RP centered as well as having PvP and bashing aspects. Yes, I want it all!

So, I've been playing around with 15-20 races, trying to make them all unique stat-wise and ability wise, with histories/descriptions for each. Assuming they're all balanced and unique, the questions remains, will players be overwhelmed and/or confused with the race selection.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:55 PM   #45
Estarra

By the way, Soultorn, very nice website!
Old 08-18-2003, 04:40 PM   #46
Grey

Grey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grey Send a message via MSN to Grey
Thumbs up

Where I admin, we have 35 races in development. Each races has it's own stat maximums, aptitudes (how fast/slow they learn common skills from the average), abilities (natural talents for common skills), skills (something clever they can use from the start), metabolic rate (regen time), resistances to our six elements; water, fire, earth, wind, light, dark, and hp (hit points), sp (stamina points used for skills), mp (magic points used for casting spells) [all which are functions of stats], armor class that either rises/falls at each level up (we have autolevel), and a speed property that controls the amount of attacks they can have each round of combat from 1 attack per 4 rounds to 4 attacks per 1 round.. Humans are taken as an average and a points chart allows a builder to make a new race by plugging numbers into an excel chart that calulates it all for you (math is an exact science). SoA is balance-heavy and I feel that as long as each race is balanced, it will be seen as a viable choice for players to play as. So I don't think any number of races is too many.. unless you're talking like 100+, in which case players probably won't be able to decide and many races will be like eachother with only slight, undistinguishable diffences. Role-playing your races, of course, is always a plus
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:53 PM   #47
Estarra

Thanks, Grey! That puts my mind at rest somewhat.

BTW, I looked at your website to see what races you have but the "Races" button took me to an ikonboard (where races weren't discussed). I found races on the "Features" page which had a hyperlink to the "Races scroll" for detailed information, but that just took me to the top of the Features page. Then, when I tried to log in, I couldn't connect. (Just thought you might want to know.)
Old 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #48
SoulTorn

Thanks for the compliment on the site. Wish I could take credit for it. Hehe.

As for being overwhelmed by race selection...that depends on the player. <G>

Races usually kind of 'jump' out at me when I'm playing a new MUD/MUSH. Generally prefer a brief 'synopsis' of each race.

And.....I'm going to hold off on posting any more until I get some coffee in me.

-SoulTorn D.

Races - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lusternia Releases New Races & More! Estarra MUD Announcements 1 05-14-2007 02:08 PM
Lack of creativity in races. Ilkidarios Tavern of the Blue Hand 24 09-13-2006 08:58 PM
Graphics for Lusternia Races Estarra MUD and RPG Webmasters 7 04-27-2005 08:09 PM
New races at SW:ROE! Brody Advertising for Players 0 03-08-2003 03:26 PM
New races at Star Wars: Reach of the Empire Brody Advertising for Players 0 01-05-2003 01:50 PM