Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 06-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Have you found anything changed for the better as a result of roleplaying in a text-based environment? Did you gain better problem-solving skills? Could you communicate with more ease? Did it help you think on your feet?

Or has it done nothing for you?

Talk about it!
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Nearlyhugh

Nearlyhugh is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Nearlyhugh
Arrow

Nearlyhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #3
NotL337

NotL337 is on a distinguished road
NotL337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Winddancer

Winddancer is on a distinguished road
I personally enhanced my vocabulary of English a _LOT_ as English is not my native tongue and I mudded exclusively in English speaking muds. Additionally, as mentioned before, typing speed increased a lot and I even learned to type blindly with a "non-standard" ten-finger typing system.

Social life suffered more than got enhanced, due mainly to my excessive mudding sessions which often included, during my time at the university, 30+ hours straight mudding.
Winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
Well. Three things for me really.

1. The obvious- increased typing speed (accompanied by decreased accuracy and actually a decline in the active vocabulary; people in mudland prefer short simple words).

2. Increased understanding of other cultures. Being able to simultaneously talk to people physically located in europe, america and australia (while sitting in Asia) is something that can only happen in muds. Understanding how the world thinks and feels about something and understanding what makes people tick is a really interesting pastime and its fascinating to make friends across continents , languages and cultures.

3. Arguably the MOST important, however, is an increase in the social skills (apart from the general sociability- that DID decline). I have headed two clans in DE and run the Mentor (assistance to new players) and RP programs of my mud and have done so for the last oh close to a decade now. If I look back at it, this has changed a few things about me,

a. Leadership. How to inspire a bunch of people (unknown to each other and who are not given any meaningful rewards or payment) to cooperate make them do what you want. In my RL job I handle large teams of workers, but I started handling people on a large scale in muds. At the same time, I have become more office politics crazy. We all know that muds can be really politically charged places with some players semi=convinced that all/most of the imms in a game are nuts Being able to understand peoples' motivations, identify allies and channelise these interests into successful work and cope with all kinds of political undercurrents has helped me to not only survive in some of the more politically charged units I worked in and also get some amount of larger advocacy work stated IRL.

b. Patience. Stuff never really works the way you want to in a mud (I am talking about the political and social aspects of mudding again). You learn to compromise, adjust, adapt and not lose track of your goal.

c. Thinking on your feet. someone pointed out earlier that being a RPer helped them to adlib their lines in drama. I would also point out it helped me to not panic in case something unexpected (and unpleasant) happened at work and come up with an immediate way to curtail the damage.

4. I guess I can sneak in a fourth point. I met my fiance in a mud. I suppose that makes THAT the greatest help muds have given me
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Drealoth

Drealoth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Drealoth
Drealoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote

How has text-based RP helped you IRL? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The future of text-based gaming? Delerak Tavern of the Blue Hand 49 07-04-2007 06:33 PM
future of text-based games (new thread) Boris Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 03-19-2007 07:20 PM
Aesthetics in a Text Based World Raewyn MUD Administration 26 05-02-2005 07:17 PM
Innovations in Text-Based Gaming Conference Brody MUD Announcements 3 10-29-2002 01:42 PM
Text editors for Rot 1.4 shade MUD Coding 0 10-02-2002 04:33 PM