Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Tyson

Tyson is on a distinguished road
Help me find an easy mud with gathering and crafting focus?

Hi guys,

I am a polite and mature roleplayer who likes to do ALOT of resource gathering and then crafting.
I was very fond of the repetitive "gathering" and manual "crafting" in Everquest, and I am looking for something similiar but in an explorable MUD.

If you are quite experienced with muds, could you please offer me some possibilities using some of my requirements below?

Thank you kindly,

Must haves:
* Merchant class, or alot of Gathering/Crafting/Tradeskills focus
* Fantasy based
* minimum 10 people on at any time
* very easy to play - ie: prefer exits with just: N,S,E,W - so I can map on graph paper. Navigating in Achaea was HELL.
(Real-time maps are awesome.)

Preferences:
* codebase doesn't matter
* a bit of fighting is ok
* I don't PK, but I am ok with getting killed if I have to
* prefer free, (don't mind making donations, but I don't want $$$ to affect my advancement or dictate it).
* prefer simple and linear mud (I know this is the direct opposite of what muds normally are) but I really like being told constantly what to do in the newbie tutorials, ie: go to here, do this quest, go to here do this.

The problem with most muds I have tried is once the newbie tutorial abrubtly ends, you are not told where to go and what to do and end up completely lost.

Muds I have tried, and didn't seem to suit (although I may have not played deep enough):
(I'd like to add that all of these Muds were great, but did not really focus on the simplicity of gathering/crafting, or were unfortunately empty.)

Aardwolf, Achaea, Materia Magica, New Worlds, Icesus, Arctic, Ansalon, Throes, Erandia, 6Dragons, Batmud.

Throes was very good in terms of the Artisan Class, but of the 3 different times I logged on I was the only player online.

I will try and give NW, Icesus, Arctic and 6D another go as I didn't give them a good shot.

Alot of people rave about Batmud but to me it seemed terribly formatted in mushclient, basically no carrier line breaks.

Thank you for your help, I hope you can help me find a new permanent home!

Last edited by Tyson : 05-27-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road
Re: Help me find an easy mud with gathering and crafting focus?

I'd suggest looking into Shadows of Isildur, or to a lesser extent, Armageddon. Both have grazing/grinding style crafting in addition to rp-required environments, but SoI is probably a better fit.
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Again, this doesn't help you right away, but it does fit your requirements and you might find it interesting enough to sign up for the beta.

I will explain one of the game mechanics a bit so you can see how the trade classes are distinct from the combat classes in Primordiax:

Primordiax characters choose a class (combat, support, or trade) and then a profession (a specific job within that class). For example, a warrior is combat class, warrior profession. A weaponsmith is trade class, weaponsmith profession. Players receive 10 skill points and 5 hobby points per level. Skill points can be used to advance skills related to your class or profession. Hobby points can be used to advance any other skill not connected to your class or profession.

Take a level 20 weaponsmith for example. He can train profession skills all the way up to his level (a level 20 swordsmith can train swordcrafting to 20). He could also train the sword combat skill to 10 (half his level) using hobby points. In character, he would consider sword combat a hobby.

Trade class characters could live their entire lives in civilized portions of the game, or even a single city. Crafted items are the best in the game, so trade class characters are very important. Food and potions are also very important, so cooks and alchemists play a vital role as well.

Our wiki has more details. If you are interested in participating in our next phase of testing, just drop me a PM.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Tyson

Hi Threshold, I am aware of Primordiax and have been waiting for it to open.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

You won't have to wait too much longer. It would be open if it weren't for the fact that I keep getting good ideas for new Threshold stuff, and then spend time coding that too. Hehehe.

PM me if you want details on applying up for beta.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Tyson, tyson, tyson. What happened on NW? Surely you took the tour and got aquainted with the Merchant Guild?

I will say that you do have to go through the Immigrants Guild on NW and perhaps that was difficult for you. We tend to use it to weed out non roleplayers. However, if you make it out of that and into the Merchant's Guild, I have little doubt you will enjoy yourself, but it does take commitment, and there isn't a alot of hand holding after you get out of the Immigrant Guild.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

I know how you feel! Imagine how many times I logged in and...
...never mind.

Thank you for enjoying the Artisan class. Drop back anytime.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Zenn

Name: Zenn
Home MUD: SW: Dark Nebulas
Zenn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zenn Send a message via Yahoo to Zenn

You may want to try EmpireMUD at zeno.biyg.org 2560

The game is kind of like WoW fused with the Age of Empires series fused with an RP MUD. The ASCII Worldmap can be changed by chopping forests, growing food, building structures, and eventually creating (or joining!) your very own empire.

Seems to be what you're looking for.

- Zenn
Zenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
Tyson

Hi guys, just wanted to update you on how I'm going finding Artisan/Merchant style Mudding.

Unfortunately I found New worlds a little bit hard because I'm not into the RP enforced type thing, especially cause I play after work and just wanna zone out.

Throes of Creation I found the Artisan quite fun, but so very slow!! I know an artisan has no risk levelling up, but I found the ticks to get so slow that I ended up going to other sites in between ticks.

I'll give Empire Mud a try, a real-time ascii map sounds pretty cool.

Still on the lookout for Tradeskilling type games! Thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Thank you Tyson for giving the game a try. It is difficult to be involved with events, religions, and politics, as well as the guilds if you aren't on for longer periods. Good luck in your search!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed

I was wondering what the point of that was. I'm a RPer and I RPed a lot, but the Immigrant Guild was the exact opposite for me. I didn't like doing it, but I grinded levels just so I could get to Serf and not worry about it levels and exp and actually get into some guild stuff (not as in guild powers or anything, but guild-relate politics and gossip, etc).

Anyway, back on topic. I second New World's game. It is fun and full of RP. So far, I've enjoyed the game and everyone I've come across has been fun to play with.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

I didn't want to mention my own Mud, 4Dimensions, at first, since you put minimum 10 players on line at all times as one of the requirements, and we sometimes drop down to around 5. We also don't have a specific Trader Class, since all the Classes want the option to trade.

However, if you really love exploring, collecting, trading and questing, you should give 4D a try. We have a pretty well developed Trading system, which gives rewards both in the form of Tradepoints and sometimes Quest tokens, but also exp points, so that you actually can use it as an alternative to mob-killing to advance in the game. Basically the idea is that the exp given for each trading should be pretty equal to what you get by spending the same time killing mobs.

We also have detailed 11x11 ascii maps in the zones that are based on wilderness grids, and smaller maps of just the closest rooms in 'normal' zones. Both are called with the command map. In addition, there are also graphic maps of many of the more important areas on the website.

The following features are presently part of the Trading system:
- collecting (herbs, nuts, fruits, seafood, pearls, eggs, artifacts etc.)
- grape and olive picking
- fishing
- farming
- gardening
- mining
- lumberjacking

Many of the products that you get from these basic occupations can be developed and refined by special Contractor mobs, and the developed products can be sold for a much higher price than the raw materials. For instance grain can be ground into flour to bake bread and pastries, but also used to make beer and spirits. Grapes can be pressed into wine, olives into oil, etc. Various wild herbs and other natural assets are also used for potions, which also have a use in the game, unless you want to trade them to the mobs.

For a new player the Greek Islands in the PreHistoric Dimension, or the assets around Olde Yorke in the Medieval Dimension, would be the best part to start trading, although obviously trading in high level zones like Egypt and Kush will yield quite a bit more, but also present greater dangers.

You can find detailed info about the Trading system on our website, and also in the Trader's Office, south of Recall, which is the central point of the Mud.

While the Trading system has been in the game for a couple of years now, we are still working on the more complex Crafting system, and on a Cooking and Catering feature, which will be implemented shortly.

4D is mostly focused around exploring, questing, Trading and hack'n'slash. We have restricted PK, and many of our players roleplay, but it's most definitely not enforced. Basically I'd say that 4D is ideal for a casual player, because you will never run out of things to do, and there are many choices. Some of our older players have been with us for 10 years by now.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
Denisius

Home MUD: Erandia
Denisius is on a distinguished road

If you have not yet found a MUD you are willing to settle in, I would like to offer you Erandia MUD. We have all that you have listed, and more. Our crafting system is quite elaborate and interesting, as you will see.

Here are the key features of the MUD:

* Advance in a skill-based, level-less, classless environment.
* Fair and helpful admins and newbie helpers to answer
your questions.
* Newbies are protected, for the first ten hours
losing nothing for dying.
* Get involved in a rich role-playing environment, in
a fully realized world, with a deep storyline.
* Learn magical talents, gain skill and power.
* Virtually unlimited character advancement.
* Utilize a versatile entirely new magic system.
* No annoying spell lag. Channeling magic is handled
more intelligently.
* Beautiful ANSI color used liberally, but not every
word a different color.
* Explore a vast world, and gain experience and
knowledge from your explorations.
* Discover strange, new worlds, each with
their own moons, climate, and atmosphere.
* Travel many different terrains, from ice fields,
lava lakes, swamps, to deep oceans.
* Follow the tracks left in the dirt or snow by
other creatures.
* Choose from a wide selection of over two hundred races.
* Any type of character you wish to play is open to you.
* Some races can be ridden by other players.
Play a dragon-rider, or their dragon!
* Found clans, start a family, interact
with other players.
* Fight battles, learn combat and weapon skills.
* Realistic equipment system involving size
and body-parts, protecting only the part it is worn on.
* Different races have different body-parts, which
can bleed, be broken, or severed.
* Communicate with player created and controlled channels.
* Fashion your own equipment from raw ores, and
enchant it with whatever effects you wish.
* Find rare magical gems to affix to your
equipment to increase your power.
* Hire NPC's to mine ore, harvest ingredients, or
funnel mana into equipment for you.
* Mix alchemical ingredients into potions, salves, or
just bake cakes.
* Brew and ferment your own alcohol.
* Browse shops that randomly stock themselves with
various items appropriate to the shop.
* Buy and manage your own shop, with or without
a shopkeeper hired to create items for you.
* Write your own books.
* Construct or buy a vehicle to drive, fly,
or sail in, even spaceships and submarines.
* Watch your back on Mezulbryst, the deadly
player-killing world where anything goes.
* Never wait for a re-pop again, mobs only exist
right where you want them!
* Randomly generated mobs and equipment. You
never know which mob will have a powerful artifact.
* Named mobs get random names. Every time it's
a different character.
* Mobs that will react to your socials in a
logical way, and use equipment and fight intelligently.
* Venture on quests to gain experience,
gold, and talent points to raise power in talents.
* No random quests. Most quests are run by NPC's
with different problems, and not all involve killing something.
* The only rule is: So long as it harms no one,
you may do as you will.
The IP address and port of the MUD are: erandia.net:2500

If you are interested in the thematic information of Erandia, you can find it in our wiki:

Hope to see you soon. :-)
Denisius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody

*bump for other possible responses*
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Backspace

Backspace is on a distinguished road

Easily the best crafting mud there is is . Featuring a full 3-4 tiered crafting system (raw materials, processed materials, components, finished products) DartMUD boasts the following:

Gathering - Literally hundreds of raw materials can be gathered. Everything from branches, berries, catnip, nuts, fruits, etc.. Not only that, but the hex based wilderness system features various types of terrain, where other things can be gathered. For instance beaches will allow you to gather items such as sand and driftwood.

Digging - Got a shovel while you're on the beach? You can gather additional items such as rocks, scallops, and conches.

Lumbering - Grab and axe and starting chopping down trees. Over 20 styles of wood can be lumbered, out in the wilderness, different types of trees are more common in different regions. Go and mill your trees into boards, dowel, shavings, or just chop them up into firewood.

Herding - Herd up pack animals. Various herd animals can be tended to, such as chickens, goats, cows, sheep. Breed them, keep them watered and fed, and collect the various raw materials from them such as eggs, milk, and wool. Slaughter them for their hides, meat, tallow, and even intestines. All of these materials can be used in more advanced products.

Fishing - Pole fishing, net fishing, even lobster fishing is available. Pull in loads of shrimp, sardines, various fish types, squids, octopus. Grill them, steam them, poach them, turn them to glue, use them in more advanced recipes.

Cooking - Hardtack, pancakes, blueberry pancakes, shrimp canapes, tomato soup, peanut butter sandwiches, cakes, pies, cookies, sauces. There are many hundreds of recipes that can be created if you have the skill.

Farming - Grow all the raw fruits and vegetables you can think of. Eat them or sell them, or cook them into more advanced recipes.

This is just a partial list of many of the crafting skills that can be learned and trained. Other crafting skills of note include alchemy, milling, tanning, candelry, perfumes, glass, brewing, woodworking, metalworking, construction, sewing.. The list goes on.

These are just some of the crafting skills available in DartMUD, more of a realistic medieval simulation than a simple MUD. There is also a full range of magic, combat, and thievery skills, as well as general skills such as hiking, swimming, climbing etc..

Take a look if you haven't yet. The game also has a full feudal system, guilds, a player run economy, and is entirely custom from end to end.
Backspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #16
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed

I was actually coming in to suggest DartMUD, too. I just started playing and I am HOOKED! Lol.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote