Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 04-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #21
Shane

Shane is on a distinguished road
IC/OOC Status: IC
Social Class: Denizen
Sexual Prefs: Heterosexual
Game Title: "A**hole"
Full Name: Reegan Jones
Fame: Jack diddly s***. Maybe later...
Apparent Age: 25ish

Some of you may recognize the format. This character was ever so popular, but the secret is that you have to be playing a game where a significant portion of the player base is looking for a jerk.

Jerks should, in my opinion, also be open to being beaten up, abused, and generally humiliated from time to time. People love to rp taking down someone who desperately deserves it! Because of the necessity of getting beaten down in order to raise the popularity of a jerk, though, it is very difficult to play one on a MUD as opposed to a MUSH, because you invariably lose stats or levels or something for losing a fight in a MUD, thus making the jerk remain low level, thus making him or her less of a "jerk" and more of a "punk".
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:40 PM   #22
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
I'm not sure I've ever deliberately set out to play "The Jerk", but I've played a character that had absolutely no filters. (This was a big deviation for me since I tend to play diplomatic, ultra political characters.) She would outright say if she thought someone was smelly or stupid, and so, she was labeled a jerk. This didn't stay in character for very long. One of the conflicts that occurred immediately went out of character with someone claiming that I was harassing her.

I think it's very hard for "The Jerk" to exist for very long on any gaming environment because people seek a rememdy for having to deal with that kind of behavior.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #23
Shane

Shane is on a distinguished road
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #24
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #25
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #26
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road
Re: The Jerk

Forgive me, TMS, for thread necromancy, but I want to post in the RP threads!

I find the topic interesting since, somehow, all of my currently active characters fall into the jerk category. I think I handle it quite well, really. Biggest thing I do is try and create a wall of supporters in character, as well as create defenses against those ever so annoying hero types. One jerk uses mostly legal defenses (as in, specific laws and lawyers), the other jerk uses a large sword for intimidation.

With the first jerk I even got someone who was more than enthusiastic to play an assistant, which meant someone who was okay with the jerk, and was a jerk herself. (I swear she has to have more fun with it than even I have, since she gets to go out, be semi-intimidating, and use as a defense, "I know jerk one." to get people to back off.) This has made playing the character much easier, since it means at least someone supports him.

On the OOC level? I'd say don't make jerks your first character. Spend your first character being nice and making the IC (and by extension OOC) connections. When you make the jerk, speak up as a player. Be polite. Make it clear you as a player are not a jerk. Reason I say this is, like it or not: Jerk characters seem to have a strong positive correlation with jerk players. Whether this is true isn't the point, it's that many people perceive this to be true.

It can be done, but you need a minor PR campaign to go with it in my experience.
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #27
Throttle

Throttle is on a distinguished road
Re: The Jerk

I've played a jerk. It was difficult because I'm not much of a jerk myself, and because you're not always sure if the other players are OOCly offended when you're being a jerk to their characters. I know for a fact that they sometimes are, I experienced that first hand, and it's a very unpleasant feeling to have another player confronting you because your character was mean to theirs.
Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote