Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 02-07-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
tresspassor

tresspassor is on a distinguished road
Awhile ago I was experimenting with building a dynamic weather system. Rather then building a complete weather system in game I tried to go the route of using real-world weather.

So I mapped each city in the game to a specific city that would reflect its weather (a tropical city would receive Key West weather, while a northern city would use Fargo).

Hourly I would query a specific web-site and try and parse out the current weather. I would get results like this:

{
"|1600",
"|E",
"|12",
"|10",
"|43",
"|39",
"|87",
"|Broken Clouds, Rain",
"|EIDW 071600Z 07010KT 9999
-SHRA SCT020 BKN035 06/04 Q1029"
}

And then use those results to determine the weather that was affecting that city.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to go this route? Or has gone farther with it (using doppler or other information to build weather patterns). Or even using real world events in game such as hurricanes, earthquakes etc?

Also, to continue this. What sorts of online information have you used for in-game results? Has anyone tried making a stock market using real-time data? Or news events, etc?

I'd be interested to hear what sorts of online information people have used for what results.
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
Rhuarc

Rhuarc is on a distinguished road
I once worked on a piece of software that needed to realistically simulate real world weather and natural disasters at key cities across the world.  There is a good deal of information that you can find if you dig enough, but here's a few that should be helpful.

Those should get you started.
Rhuarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:16 PM   #3
Favonius

Favonius is on a distinguished road
That idea sounds very interesting to me. I do have a queston though.

What kind of timespan does your MUD have? Do your seasons match seasons in real life? Like if its December right now, is it December in your game? If it's not, I can see you having a few problems with keeping the seasons in sync. One solution is to have a database of say the weather in each city for the past 10 years and use that data in making your weather system.
Favonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
tresspassor

tresspassor is on a distinguished road
Rhuarc thanks for those links, I've been looking for another weather sever to parse for some time now (the one I previously used had a horrible lag)

Was very useful.

The system I was working on was real time, so 1 mud day = 1 real day. Getting a database of the last 5 years is a good idea, that way you don't have to worry about the hourly connection. If the game was real-time (1 mud day = 1 real day) you could even just have 1 year and cycle it. I don't think anyone would notice.
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
erdos

You want to go with raw METAR, not all this decoded crap. Valuable info will be lost in decoded reports. One good way to make this work would be to grab the and decompile it and figure out how it obtains its metars, then basically copy the process into your mud.

Real world information - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Real World Gas Wars AshtonEndal Tavern of the Blue Hand 35 04-30-2006 02:12 PM
Copyright Information Samson Legal Issues 0 03-12-2004 03:12 PM
Win a real-world Glamdring in Achaea! the_logos Advertising for Players 17 11-25-2003 07:51 PM
Old forum information darmir MUD and RPG Webmasters 1 02-27-2003 05:48 PM
getting tms stat information tresspassor Bugs and Suggestions 0 10-29-2002 09:52 PM