Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 09-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Advent of Voice Comms

How has the advent of easy, reliable voice communications over the net affected your game?

This is something I thought about yesterday (don't ask me why) and I decided to ask on here since I have no experience with it. Back when I regularly played MUDs which were mostly RP-enforced we often had problems with OOC groups communicating via things like MSN and AIM. Their typing speed limited the quickness of their reactions to things going on in the game sometimes, but with software and servers like TeamSpeak and Ventrillo floating around these days is this more of a problem?

Perhaps you've found that easy voice communications has actually made your game more interesting because players can get on the voice server and chat about the game itself, rather than the usual medium of IRC?

I was just wondering what you all thought about this and whether it's a good/bad thing from a MUD admins point of view. Obviously a lot of this will depend on what sort of game you run, as games with no RP-enforcement don't tend to worry about OOC knowledge so much.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Advent of Voice Comms

I've not gotten involved with this or seen it affect gameplay in NW, but I will post a little snippet from "the Book and the Movie" Thread by Mina. She seems to have some latent experience in this from a roleplayer viewpoint:

With regard to the above, it has always been my view and that of many fine roleplayers that using other forms of communication (IRC, Voicebox, or otherwise) is a severe detriment to roleplay for a variety of reasons. This has been so staunchly backed that it has become a help file on NW called help gaor. While some of this is specific to NW, I think the point is global:

Help on the Golden Advice of Roleplay (GAOR)
--------------------------------------------
Many have asked me during times of frustration and even times of enjoyment, how to find a better niche in the art of roleplaying. My answer is the answer I've found both for myself and from watching some of the best roleplayers and some of the players that have the most fun with the least amount of frustration.

1) Get rid of IM, ICQ, or any other IRC (Internet Relay Chat), except for NW related interaction.
2) Tune chat out 95% of the time you play, but always when you are in a roleplay situation or event.
3) Refrain as best as you can from ever going to Customs, except briefly and only for very important reasons.
4) KEEP it IC no matter what.
5) Never talk ooc in tells, ever.
6) And probably most important: Remember that it is just a GAME.

Follow these suggestions and you will enter into a whole new world of roleplay. A fantastic world.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road

I personally wouldn't use something like that, but not really for roleplay reasons (though I agree with the points brought up above). I find that MUDs are a largely disconnected medium, as everyone makes up a character whether they roleplay or not. It helps the players remain anonymous. I wouldn't want other players to hear my voice, nor would I want to hear theirs - because I don't want to "know" the players by default. Perhaps I might become friends with longtime players and communicate with them outside of the game, but I wouldn't want to play a game where it was encouraged/necessary to be that close to other players.

In terms of being an admin, well, it's just another tool that players can use. Close friends are probably likely to call each other and discuss the game anyway. With the vast array of messengers and their availability and ease of use, most likely anyone who wishes to talk about anything, can already. Perhaps it will be a little faster, but I think we just have to accept that outside of the game, players will probably do what they want to, and it is very difficult for admins to prevent this, whether speech or anything else. Making a rule about it will probably discourage some people, but actually going out and trying to stop it will probably not be worth your time.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road

Voice communication is certainly quite convenient.

But I will never use it:
The last two are really quite the reason why I've grown to like MUSH RP over face-to-face. My characters are so much better persona-wise than they used to be.
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote