Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 02-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #21
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #22
Noin

Noin is on a distinguished road
Noin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #23
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
At this point, I think the best way to make that change is to find some "Zugg" type person interested in writing a basic MUD client for mobile phones.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #24
malaclypse

malaclypse is on a distinguished road
There has been a fair amount of discussion lately on the topic of accessability for MMO's in general, on Terra Nova and similar places. While its true that it would probably make the game more accessible to the non-hardcore gamer, it would also mean a big change in game design. With MUD's, as with graphic MMO's, there is far too much information coming at the user for the regular interface to suffice. Such mobile access would have to consist of limited mini-games like chatting and crafting.

But once we start talking about breaking the game down into sections that can be accessed from different media, I think we've begun to talk about worlds that contain games, not games set in worlds. Which is fine, of course. One just needs to consider these and the other implications of changing the access points. As with most design choices, its a much bigger can of worms than it first appears to be.

I would actually go in a different direction though. I think there are still large segments that would enjoy MUDs that haven't been exposed to them. MMO's and MUD's tend to cannibalise each others populations, swapping the same players around. This would be the first thing I'd address.

- Ryan
malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote

MUD Features - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
roleplay features nass Roleplaying and Storytelling 34 05-25-2007 08:03 AM
Features of a MUD command parser. Drealoth Advanced MUD Concepts 15 04-27-2006 02:08 PM
Accursed Lands features flying! snoozer Advertising for Players 0 03-26-2006 05:03 PM
New Features in Imperian! Avasyu Advertising for Players 0 09-27-2005 05:12 PM
New features at MudDrake Hosting Rhuarc MUD Announcements 0 04-06-2004 10:08 AM