Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 02-07-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:48 AM   #2
hoop

hoop is on a distinguished road
Arrow

My suggestion would probably be for you to find a mud similiar to your own (at least in code) and try to get an IMM Position there to implement your ideas.

Ideas seem to be the easy thing : coding and implenting them are the hard part. So if you can find a mud that has lots of coders, but having trouble coming up with ideas, you can pair your ideas with their coders and make an awesome team.

Of course, you've also stated that you aren't done PLAYING the mud you're currently on, and that makes it tougher. It makes it difficult to Play one mud, and IMM on another mud.

Most IMMs I know have at least played the mud they IMM on, for how else do they know the feel of the mud, what the mortals go through, etc?

Anyway, it is an option. I suppose it is also an option for you to post your ideas on here, and hope that someone uses them, but that is far less fulfilling than seeing them come to pass on your own mud.

hope that helps a bit ?

I know on our mud, we have LOTS of ideas, lots of good ideas even - but having the time for the coders to work on them is very difficult.

Hoop
hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
Burr

Burr is on a distinguished road
If you feel you must IMM somewhere, then IMM on the mud you are currently playing at. If you still want to play that mud, do so; it will help you in IMMing there.

It will be a lot easier to get an IMM position on another mud if you can say you have been a reliable IMM elsewhere and are ready to move on. And by that time, you may be ready to quit playing the other mud.
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:12 PM   #4
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain in a way Onyx. I -am- a coder, but honestly, my ideas flow faster than I can code them, and are usually a bit more complex than I know HOW to code them. Luckily for me, I have a head coder who is used to my flurries of emails with ideas spouting off in torrents, and then she puts them in code, more effectively and faster than I could ever imagine myself doing.

So, you have two options really, at least imho...

1) Get on an imm staff where your ideas are taken heavily into consideration (possibly would have to be your own mud?).

2) Learn how to code what you want yourself, and more than likely, have your own mud...

I do agree that getting some experience on an imm staff is useful. What I would recommend is sitting down with the people who code and/or are the decision makers for where you play, and see if your ideas would work there, and/or if they won't and how they could be added in. Ask to be kept involved in the process and to see the code they are adding in for your idea so that you have a better idea of how/what is going on and how it's being implemented...

Complete freedom to do what you want isn't even a guarantee even if you HAVE your own mud though, there are plenty of ideas that I've wanted to put in (or have put in) that the players and staff either didn't like, or didn't use, or just flat out hated....keep that in mind too...
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:27 AM   #5
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
Quicksilver

Quicksilver is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver
Suggesting ideas doesn't have to mean you don't like the mud you play.
It DOES mean you care about the mud and want to add to it in some way.
Part of the Implementor's job is to take suggestions and evaluate them, compare them to the mud as it stands now, and the direction the Staff wishes to take the mud. It is always difficult to tell someone they have a great idea, but unfortunately we cannot use it because it doesn't fit the theme we have going. Or that the idea would unbalance us. But, that is part of the Implementor's responsibilities.
Not every idea can be included in the code. But then again, not every unused idea is useless. Sometimes it can suggest a way around a block they've had in coding a planned upgrade. Or it can suggest a variant of your idea which _would_ fit into the mud theme/direction.
Sometimes players can feel their contributions or suggestions are ignored. Especially if the Staff only uses part of the idea, and it isn't a very visible snippet. Sometimes the greatest impact is letting us know what the players may be misunderstanding, or have misconceptions about in the mud.
I shudder to think where our mud would be without the suggestions, ideas and sometimes off-hand jokes our players have made. No, not all have been visibly incorporated, but many have. And all have been useful in some way or another.

--QS
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote